Dell forum

General discussion

Bios not ACPI Compliant on blue screen?

by starquest88 / August 27, 2009 11:24 AM PDT

Blue screen--> Error says;
Bios in system is not fully ACPI compliant. please contat your system vendor or visit www.harware-update.com (link is non existent) for updates BIOS. If you are unable to get an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI ompliant you can turn off the ACPI mode during text mode setup.
Press F7 when prompted to install storage drivers, system will notify you that F7 was pressed and it will silently disable API and allow installation?
(I tried the f7 and not sure about this, I didnt get no f7 key was pressed message)
***Notes
Been getting this message after windows receives updates lately. did system restore through safe mode, thought it corrected the problem for weeks and it happened several times after each windows update soon again. Now I cant even do a start in safe mode it just goes straight to the blue screen.
I tried re-installing windows from the pause break, f11/ctl keys down and reinstalled the DELL XP media from hard drive whih says it was suessful, but I still get the same error. Reason I reinstalled was because DELL Tech told me to so. Side note- my dell warranty is expired and they wont help me unless i pay them. I begged them to at least help me and they told me about the reinstallation mode from f11 and that was it.

I did a little research and it sems to be with the system going into hybernation mode or sleep mode which may cause the system to get an eror while idle and while dowmloading windows updates?? which may have to work with ACPI from what I can tell. The question I want to know is, how do I get my DELL Dimension E521 to start bak up in safe mode or normal and then how do i turn off the ACPI or take windows out of hibernation once I get it up.

Thanks,

Ryan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bios not ACPI Compliant on blue screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bios not ACPI Compliant on blue screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Old machines have that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

You may or may not see this on XP. But when you see it you want to get ready to re-install the OS from the machine's maker. If the maker does not supply a XP ready BIOS then you don't run XP.

Collapse -
machine is 2 1/2 yrs old
by starquest88 / August 28, 2009 8:58 AM PDT

It came with Windows XP Media Center from DELL? I have tried reinstalling the windows from the F11/CTRL key where dell has the install for XP on the machine. Nothing is working. Last BIOS update dell offered for my system was from 08, I am pretty certain that my machine had all nescessary updates dell offers, i actually checked their site bak in June right before this happend to see if there was anything new, I am really good about keeping my system up to date with all updates.

Collapse -
That's a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 11:12 AM PDT

With older machines I find it best to not update BIOS, drivers unless we are fixing something. If restoring with Dell's recovery media is not possible I fear the news is grim.

Collapse -
What's different from "stock"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 11:41 AM PDT

Dell machines dated before Nov. 2005 were well known for this issue. Remember we must follow all the little rules about fresh installs. Stock machine, recovery media, standard bios settings, and start again.

If you change the OS you may trigger this issue.

Collapse -
What options do I have?
by starquest88 / August 28, 2009 12:12 PM PDT

What should I do to get my DELL back up and running? I am not sure what steps I can take, any suggestions, and how to go about it?

Collapse -
I apologize.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2009 10:16 PM PDT

I listed a lot of things above but they must not make any sense. This is a problem since I've been at this before Windows and lived through this issue when it first arrived. I can only guess what I suggested does not make any sense.

Sorry about that.
Bob

Collapse -
fixed!
by wesleyrc / December 21, 2012 12:20 AM PST

there has been so long but i think its worth it!:
Hi! i had the same problem!
the only thing that i did to fix it was replacing the memory ram that was inside the pc while was with that problem and getting a new battery for the motherboard... until now... works fine! later when the new windows has installed im gonna try the old ram! sory for my bad english, i hope i could help some one with this...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.