Windows Vista forum

General discussion

BIOS AND Vista Not Recognizing 2nd SATA Hard Drive

by ejames6342 / June 10, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

I have upgraded from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to Vista on a Toshiba Qosmio G35-AVA600 which has two 80GB SATA hard drives. In Windows XP the drive was seen as one 180GB hard drive. No problem.

After I installed Vista the second drive is not showing and I can't format it from disk management services because it is not shown. All Vista upgrades have been installed through Windows Update.

The wierd thing is that I am not missing any files, but perhaps I had not used any space on the second hard drive, therefore I wouldn't be missing any files.

Also, after installing Vista I checked the BIOS and it does not see my second hard drive, nor does My Computer but it is there as I have made no hardware changes. All I did was upgrade from Windows XP Service Pack 3 to installing Windows Vista. I have the latest RAID drivers from Toshiba which was updated after I installed Vista. The latest BIOS was installed from Toshiba website BEFORE I upgraded and it WAS listed in the BIOS.

I've read the many threads on second ATA hard drives but no one mentions that their BIOS does not recognize the drive as well as Vista.

How do I fix this problem?? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
ejames6342@aol.com

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIOS AND Vista Not Recognizing 2nd SATA Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIOS AND Vista Not Recognizing 2nd SATA Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to know your hardware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

Those 80GB drives may have been in some RAID array which is not natively supported in Windows. To fix this you need to determine what RAID controller your machine has, what drivers Toshiba offers for said RAID controller then install them per Toshiba's instructions.
Bob

Collapse -
I Have Latest Updated RAID Drivers
by ejames6342 / June 10, 2008 6:08 AM PDT

Yes, I have the latest Microsoft digitally signed updated RAID drivers which I updated after installing Vista as per Toshiba's advice.

Thanks for the advice . . .

Elizabeth

Collapse -
That's Vista's drivers. Now how about the hardware drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 11:24 AM PDT

It's just like the right on the merry go round where some looked for SATA drivers from hard disk makers and such are built into XP, Vista, etc but the motherboard drivers are not.

I had hoped I could point you back to Toshiba since we know Microsoft is not the source for your hardware drivers.

There is also another issue where you must know your hardware. For instance today's systems can configure in the BIOS various combos of SATA, SATA RAID, IDE+SATA, IDE EMULATION and more. Sadly I can't know which setup you chose and it's far from automatic. This area is causing support grief out there since many didn't know they had to become a computer support tech.
Bob

Collapse -
Both are RAID-0 Devices
by ejames6342 / June 10, 2008 8:51 PM PDT

According to my computer manual, both hard drives are setup as SATA RAID devices with RAID-0 configuration.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Collapse -
I see a similar post at link and maybe a typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 10:16 PM PDT
http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/1004401989/ShowThread.aspx

But I can't find your machine at Toshiba and this is partly why I haven't offered any direct links to the driver I would suspect. Since I can't find your machine at Toshiba the typo you put into your post means I can't go looking for your machine.

Feel free to correct your post or supply a link to said product at toshiba.com
Bob
Collapse -
Your other discussions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 10:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV600 link
by ejames6342 / June 10, 2008 10:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
And???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 11:06 PM PDT

Tell us which of these you have installed.

While installing the Windows CD/DVD is the first step of installing Windows, here's an example from HP about the 10 drivers to install next -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=271360&messageID=2699006#2699006

Toshiba could be nice to supply to you a procedure like this one. Let me be CRYSTAL CLEAR that I see no reason for your machine to work proper yet. And we still don't know your choice of the SATA/IDE options in the BIOS.
Bob

PS. I see http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?moid=1209148&rpn=PQG30U&ct=DL&BV_SessionID=@@@@1959736191.1213189407@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadeegdkjkdecgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&all_docs=true as your drivers available online. There may be more that you have to call in for.

Collapse -
Here are the steps I followed
by ejames6342 / June 10, 2008 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: And???

Toshiba advised that I flash upgrade my BIOS before installing Vista which I did. BIOS version is 3.80.

I deleted old XP drivers, per Toshiba. (I have a list if you need them.)

I then downloaded the following Vista drivers:

Bluetooth Monitor
Bluetooth Stack for Windows
Inter 802.11 a/b/g/n PCIe Mini Card driver for Pre-Kedron
nVidia Display Driver
SigmaTel HD Audio Driver
Synaptics Touchpad Driver
Texas Instruments PCIxx21 FlashMedia Driver
Toshiba Fingerprint Utility
Toshiba PCI TV Tuner
Toshiba Software Modem
CD/DCD Drive Accoustic Silencer
Toshiba Config Free
Toshiba Assist
Toshiba Disc Creator
Toshiba Extended Tiles for Windows Mobility Center
Toshiba HD DVD Player
Toshiba RAID Utility
Toshiba Remote Control Manager
Toshiba SD Memory Utilities
Toshiba Speech System
Toshiba Support Options
Toshiba Value Added Package

Hope this will help, if not let me know what I need to provide.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Collapse -
Hmm, I didn't see the Toshiba RAID drivers there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 11:46 PM PDT

Or the details about the BIOS settings. Sorry if this seems rather deep but with the mix/change to IDE and SATA it became a small tarpit of tech support issues. Trying to resolve these in forums is usually not going to happen but in your case I see what looks like a missed driver.
Bob

Collapse -
RAID Drivers and BIOS Info
by ejames6342 / June 11, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

Yes, I forgot and left out the fact that the new RAID driver for Vista (as listed on the Toshiba website) was installed after installing Vista along with the list above (per Toshiba instructions).

My BIOS states the following:

Built-in HDD1 = Serial ATA Port 0
Built-in HDD2 = No Drive
CD-ROM = Primary IDE (IF0H/IRQ14)

RAID Array

Built-in HDD1 = 1 Raid 0 LD0-0 75GB (5GB is reserved for system use)
Built-in HDD2 = No Drive

Toshiba Model Number: MK8032GSX Rev. AS111G

It seems weird to me that in the properties box for drive C:\, it lists the HP Officejet 7310 USB Device as a "Disk Drive" under "type" when in actuality it is my USB printer connection. Is this normal?

Let me know if I can provide further information.

Thanks for all of your help!

Elizabeth

Collapse -
While working this issue, remove the laserjet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

Some find the Windows install FAILS to install to C: and many troubles follow. Keep in mind that while those that install Windows daily will know to unplug what you can till later no one seems to have a nice document for "your machine."

-> It's a bad thing to have C not be your main Windows drive. While we can discuss that this shouldn't be an issue, it is and one you should address with a complete wipe, do over and follow their install instructions without that USB connection.

Also, it's not a good idea to have drives on the raid connections and not have pairs or RAID configurations.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't want to do a complete reinstall of Vista . . .
by ejames6342 / June 11, 2008 4:56 AM PDT

Drive C:\ is my main windows drive.

I don't want to do a complete reinstall of Vista as I have many files that I don't want to lose and I have no way to save them, however I guess I could use some CD-ROM RW's to save my data to . . .

I should have known to unplug my USB printer, but I just wasn't thinking!!

Do you think there is another work around that would work?

Thanks for all of your help!

Elizabeth

Collapse -
Unplug that printer and install those RAID drivers from
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2008 5:05 AM PDT

Toshiba. But as I noted it's sort of bizarre to connect ONE drive to a RAID controller. Why do that?

If the drive that is not recognized is not on the RAID, then move it to the other connections, retest.
Bob

Collapse -
I did unplug the printer . . .
by ejames6342 / June 11, 2008 6:19 AM PDT

I unplugged the printer from the USB port and installed the RAID drivers, but it still does not show the second hard drive and reports that there is just one 75MG hard drive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your help!!

Elizabeth

Collapse -
Time to test some things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2008 6:59 AM PDT

1. Find out which drive has failed.
Unplug one SATA cable. Does the machine work? You found it. If not try the other. If unplugging either causes the machine to not boot then said drives are in a raid config that hides the second drive from windows. This can be proper.

2. If you find which drive is not showing. USE A NEW SATA CABLE and connect it to the primary SATA port (usually marked SATA 0) and see if it shows up.

Bob

Collapse -
I'll Check it Out
by ejames6342 / June 11, 2008 8:43 AM PDT

I will check this probable fix.

Thanks for your help!

Elizabeth

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.