Computer Help forum

General discussion

BigFix Will No Longer Be Available On Gateway Computers

by PinMV / April 10, 2009 8:10 AM PDT

Is this true? I got this warning thru BigFix, but since we are having so many problems/fears with Conficker, unsure if I want to believe this and do as it says.

I have a Gateway, purchased last August, nice machine.

Here is the message in full:

"IMPORTANT: BigFix Will No Longer Be Available On Gateway Computers

Dear Gateway customer, on April 30, 2009 BigFix will no longer be available on your computer. The existing site that displayed your fixlets will no longer be accessible.

Please click the link below and follow the onscreen prompts to remove the BigFix application. You will be asked to restart your computer. After the restart the BigFix application will be removed from your computer.

Click here to uninstall BigFix.
"

again, I'm leery on clicking -- what do you all think? Thank you!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BigFix Will No Longer Be Available On Gateway Computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BigFix Will No Longer Be Available On Gateway Computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If You Don't Want BigFix, Uninstall Correctly...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2009 10:00 AM PDT

...through the Control Panel, NOT from any message received from a program..

In addition, you state "since we are having so many problems/fears with Conficker"... What type of problems are you having? Have you been infected?

Personally, there's nothing BigFix does that you can't do yourself manually PLUS without the added load of the program, your computer will probably run quicker.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you for responding!
by PinMV / April 10, 2009 2:10 PM PDT

It's not that I don't want BigFix - just that they are wanting me to uninstall...I just thought this message was a tad odd.

I'm not having any serious issues about Conficker - just worried like some others. I have AVG Free and have updated and run that at least 2 times a day, and today I ran the Full Service Scan from Windows, also showed to be clear, but of course I have a bazillion cookies. I browse a lot.

Collapse -
Big Fix
by 1HappyKatt / April 10, 2009 7:42 PM PDT

I know this will not answer your question, but I just got the same message. I emaled Gateway immediately but no response yet. I'm not going to uninstall it until I hear from them. I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to be available fora fee, but have not investigated the Big Fix site. Gooe luck to us Gateway owners!

Collapse -
update on previous post
by richq / April 16, 2009 5:17 AM PDT

Customer support was the one who gave the information that it was a worm, appearantly they misunderstood what I stated to them.

After talking with technical support on the issue where this message is inside the big fix screen itself, is to be correct that gateway is no longer using big fixfix after april 30, 2009 and by clicking on the removal link provided it will remove the software from the system without issue. This is According to the response from Gateway Technical support themself.

Collapse -
PLEASE do as Grif says.
by Paul C / April 10, 2009 8:06 PM PDT

Never uninstall anything based on the basis of an email. That is risky...Now, as the owner of a year old Gateway, let me assure you that I uninstalled Big Fix immediately, as I'd rather update my own software, Big Fix only works with the software that Gateway preloaded on the PC, and in point of fact, it didn't even do that all that well.

Collapse -
The Message Is Not In An Email
by _kendra / April 22, 2009 12:40 PM PDT

I have received a message too. The message was not sent in an email. The message was launched by BigFix itself.

Collapse -
Bigfix no longer available- wonder why
by knittingquilter / April 11, 2009 10:39 AM PDT

I just received the same message today about Bigfix, that it won't be available after April 30th, but it's asking me to uninstall it now. I searched the Gateway site, but ccouldn't find any information about it. I purschased my computer in November and have already had some issues that Bigfix has repaired

Collapse -
Gateway BixFix Uninstall....
by ZepTwo / April 12, 2009 12:56 AM PDT

I too received the same popup....i called Best Buy which is where I purchased my Gateway...the technician said that there is a whole clan of clients that received the same popup message. It is real and if you do not uninstall it yourself, it will uninstill by itself any way. No worries, if you have Norton or Trendmicro or some other form of internet browsing/email protector, you don't need the Big Fix anyway. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Did they say how to uninstall correctly?
by sabacat / April 12, 2009 11:03 PM PDT

I uninstalled yesterday. Today I have no internet connectivity. The computer fix tells me there is now a problem with my network router or broadband modem. Maybe people should wait and advise how to remove the Big Fix correctly. In the meantime, does anyone have a suggestion how to fix my uninstalling Big Fix related problem?

Collapse -
Have You Tried This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 13, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

Since you've told us NOTHING about your computer such as operating system, make and model, type of internet connection you're using, etc., I'll GUESS that you're using Windows XP.. Try running the free WinsockXPFix tool from the link below and it should fix the internet software on the computer:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

As to the "correct" way to uninstall BigFix, if you removed it from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section, then you've done it correctly.. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that such programs won't cause issues.. Just as routine, make sure that you don't have two firewalls enabled at the same time and other such normal troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
BigFix Will No Longer Be Available On Gateway Computers
by davidstr9 / April 13, 2009 5:06 AM PDT

Same message on my eMachines computer.

Collapse -
Same here
by Laedeekat / April 14, 2009 7:29 AM PDT

Well, eMachines was acquired by Gateway a few years ago, so that would explain getting that message, but I'm not touching anything yet. I received the message also, and almost uninstalled it until I came to this forum. Thanks for all of the post. After searching and reading up on BigFix, it is something that is free. I'll have to admit, I would receive message if Microsoft did some sort of update and BigFix would instruct me which programs it was conflicting with, and how to fix it.

Collapse -
Gateway Support has been contacted.
by richq / April 16, 2009 3:28 AM PDT

After talking with gateway support on the phone, the big fix problem of uninstalling bigfix is a worm that if clicked would start it and cash the system and they want you to contact Gateway to help remove it from the system in a safe manner. However there is an issue for those of us that are out of warrenty on the system, Gateway says they will help us but there is a charge to do so.

Collapse -
Strange..So None Of Those Affected Use Antimalware Programs?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

If it's truly a "worm", then most antivirus scanners will find it. (Were you given a name of this worm?) Run a full system scan with your current antivirus program and see if something's detected.

And if it's not really a "worm" but instead a trojan, try downloading, installing, updating, then running a full system scan with both of the free tools below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Big Fix Removal is legitimate according to Technical Support
by richq / April 16, 2009 5:27 AM PDT

refer to post "update on previous post" reply made to PinMV accidently and was meant for main post reply The information was incorrection given to me due to a misunderstanding of what I said by customer service. After talking with tech support on the issue, it is correct that bix fix will no longer be available after april 30, 2009, so clicking the link and simply removing it would pose no issues, and this is according to Gateway Technical support.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For Posting Back.. Removal Makes the Most Sense !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2009 9:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Big Fix
by LTDg / April 26, 2009 7:30 AM PDT

I also received a message through their Fixlet notification system. They do not give any reason for the discontinued service. Also, I find continuous activity on my computer since receiving the message and there is a Big Fix logo flashing, on placing the cursor on this logo, the message "GATHERING FIXLETS " appears.
Each time I start up this program begins to run. I exit the program and there is no further activity. Why would they be gathering fixlets if they are discontinuing service. Very suspicious.

Collapse -
right click not working
by LTDg / June 30, 2010 2:11 PM PDT

right click not working on mouse. began with long delay , now no menu at all, in all locations.

Collapse -
Got the same message
by The ancient one / April 23, 2009 2:42 AM PDT

but I don't have a Gateway, just a cheap E-Machine and what's more, I don't have it installed on this computer.

Collapse -
Gateway Is eMAchines...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Got the same message

And it's probably why you got the message.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
BigFix No Longer Supported on Gateway/eMachines Computers
by eknigmah / April 25, 2009 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Got the same message
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.