Computer Newbies

General discussion

BIG Yellow Question mark

by bevrich1012 / July 13, 2007 11:59 PM PDT

can someone please tell me what a yellow question mark in front of multimedia devices on device manager means?? does it mean i need a new sound card???

thanks,
bev

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BIG Yellow Question mark
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BIG Yellow Question mark
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It means the sound isn't installed properly
by glb613 / July 14, 2007 5:09 AM PDT

You can try installing the latest drivers from your computer's web site or from the sound card manufacturer's web site. If that doesn't fix the problem, it could mean the sound card as failed.

Collapse -
You can also use the device manager to
by retired / July 14, 2007 6:30 AM PDT

Uninstall the sound card and reboot, This will reinstall the driver, Does not always work but it's worth a try.

Collapse -
thanks
by bevrich1012 / July 15, 2007 11:22 AM PDT

thanks for the help...i'll give those a try
bev

Collapse -
try searching
by SleepyChoco / July 30, 2007 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Search for your sound card's name on google. You should be able to find the company that made your card and they should give you drivers for it.

Collapse -
Could be a conflict.
by Dango517 / August 1, 2007 2:13 PM PDT

If your graphics card isn't disabling your motherboard chip set they could be in conflict. In properties see resources if it's in conflict it will tell you there. If it is, disable the chip set it should be listed with your graphics card. If this does not fix the problem make sure your new graphics card is compatible and will over shadow the chip set.

Had this problem with two modems once. One was external the other internal. I didn't know the internal one was installed. I was given the machine as a gift.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.