Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

big problem with my w xp the screen go blue

by izote / September 29, 2005 2:32 PM PDT

when i click a favorite in firefox my screen goes blue ans this messege is in that screen. *** stop: (0x0000008e,0x00000000,0xeb927c3c,0x00000000) and it said your computer has been stop to avoid damage to your system. please help me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: big problem with my w xp the screen go blue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: big problem with my w xp the screen go blue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some tips from Microsoft
by Stan Chambers / September 29, 2005 3:26 PM PDT

General Stop Errors

The following steps help you determine the cause of a stop error and how to correct the problem.

To troubleshoot General Stop Errors

1.Restart your computer.

2.Make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. Unplug each new hardware device, one at a time, to see if this resolves the error. If it does, go to step 3.

Replace any hardware that proves faulty by this test. Also, try running any hardware diagnostic software supplied by your computer manufacturer.

If this is a new installation of hardware or software, contact the manufacturer for any Windows XP updates or drivers you might need.

3.If you?ve recently installed software that you think might be causing the errors, you can use System Restore to return your computer to an earlier, more stable state. If your computer functions properly after you?ve restored it, the new software may be the problem. To learn more about using System Restore, read Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur.

4.Click Start and then click Help and Support. Click Get support, or find information in Windows XP newsgroups (under ?Ask for assistance?) and then click Get help from Microsoft in the left-hand column.

5.The problem may be with a driver you?ve recently updated. Windows XP allows you to easily uninstall the new driver and restore the old driver with the Driver Rollback feature. To learn how, read How to Roll Back a Device Driver.

6.Click Start, click Help and Support, and then click Fixing a problem (under ?Pick a Help topic?) for a list of Troubleshooters.

7.Check the Windows Catalog to verify that all your hardware and drivers are compatible with Windows XP.

8.If you can start Windows XP, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver causing the problem. To view the System Log click Start and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools. Double?click Event Viewer to open it and then System Log to view.

9.If you have access to the Internet, visit the Microsoft Support site.

Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for "Windows XP" and the number associated with the stop error you received. For example, if the message ?Stop: 0x0000000A? appears, search for ?0x0000000A.?

10.Using a current version of your antivirus software, check for viruses on your computer. If you find a virus, perform the steps required to eliminate it from your computer. See your antivirus software instructions for these steps. To learn more about choosing an antivirus software program that?s right for you, read Reduce Your Virus Risk with Updated Antivirus Software.

11.Verify that your hardware device drivers and your system BIOS are the latest available versions. Your hardware manufacturers can help you determine the latest versions or help you obtain them.

12.Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need assistance, contact your hardware manufacturer.

13.Run any system diagnostic software supplied by your computer manufacturer, especially the memory check.

14.Verify that your computer has the latest Service Pack installed. For a list of service packs and instructions for downloading them, go to the Microsoft Update Web site.

15.If you are unable to log on, restart your computer. When the list of available operating systems appears, press F8. On the Advanced Options screen, select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
Caution

IMPORTANT
When you use Last Known Good Configuration, system setting changes made after the last successful startup are lost.

Collapse -
0x0000008e starting physical memory dump
by r0nnied0bbs / June 12, 2008 5:45 PM PDT

I got the same errors when my power was cut due to a storm during startup. I used the Last Known Good Configuration option and it has booted fine since.

Collapse -
I assume you noticed
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 5:53 PM PDT

that the date of this discussion is nearly 3 years ago.

I suspect the problem has been resolved now, one way or another.

Mark

Collapse -
STOP 0x0000008e No driver referenced on memory dump
by zchannel / November 2, 2005 2:41 AM PST

I just resolved this problem on my machine. For me, the issue was a bad monitor driver. While this may not be the issue for you, it's important to check to see if the monitor driver you are using is the correct one. Read the label on the back of your monitor. Go to the website of the manufacturer and download and unzip if necessary to a file created to hold this driver. Go to the device manager and right click the icon of the monitor you are using. Go to properties and the update button. Follow the prompts to update the driver using the driver you just downloaded. See if that works. I agree with Stan that it may be anything, like a recent installation or a AGP card going bad. Usually a bad card won't work intermittently. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.