Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Big problem with Firefox and Internet Explorer

by ac3this / June 7, 2006 1:40 PM PDT

In both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, all of my webpages look messed up. I can see the text, but the background colors and pictures are all gone. Instead, the backgound is all white. For example. on the CNET website, the background should be yellow. However on my computer, both in Firefox and Internet Explorer, the background is white and everything looks messed up.I uninstalled Firefox and then reinstalled it, but the same thing is happening. I don't know how this even happened. I did not do anything to change the settings or anything. It just happened randomly. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? It is getting very annoying. Looking at forums is very hard as it looks as if there are no boxes around the text and everything is right under one another.

PLEASE HELP!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Big problem with Firefox and Internet Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Big problem with Firefox and Internet Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Big problem with Firefox and Internet Explorer
by tomron / June 7, 2006 2:59 PM PDT

are you only experiencing this with CNET,cause if you are,there ongoing issues with CNET,click HERE

Tom

Collapse -
And in other programs?
by Kees Bakker / June 7, 2006 6:38 PM PDT

How's a colorful picture in MS Paint?
Background colors and font colors in MS Word?

Pictures in a web-page can be influenced by any security solution you installed. But for backgrounds that's unlikely.

Make your own webpage by copying the next line to a new Notepad file and saving it as mypage.htm in some folder. You might vary the colors (red, blue), but html is rather picky about what it accepts.
<html><body bgcolor=''yellow''>My first webpage.</body></html>

But you may replace all x's by 0 through 9 and A through F in
<html><body bgcolor=#xxxxxx>My first webpage.</body></html>
<html><body bgcolor=#A33F56>My first webpage.</body></html>

This should display a rather simple page, with a background color (the first is yellow, the last some kind of red).

Tell what you see.

Kees

Collapse -
I tried making my own webpage......
by brangwen21 / February 5, 2009 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: And in other programs?

I didn't write the original message but I am having the same problem as the previous poster..... I tried your suggestion and all of my pages came out blank white. Annoying! Do you have any other suggestions that might help fix this problem? I am using an HP Media Center PC m1265c. I am using Firefox 2.0.0.18 and Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 as my web browsers and Microsoft Word XP ver. 5.1 is my operating system. Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

Collapse -
How did you set the background...
by John.Wilkinson / February 6, 2009 10:01 AM PST

The Cnet background is no longer yellow as the site was overhauled since the original post was made. However, regarding your own website, be sure to share the code with which you set the background color/image and we can go from there.

John

Collapse -
Which codes did I try............
by brangwen21 / February 6, 2009 4:33 PM PST

Thanks for responding! I tried making a webpage per the suggestions from the previous posts reply. I just followed the directions that were given................

"-----------Make your own webpage by copying the next line to a new Notepad file and saving it as mypage.htm in some folder. You might vary the colors (red, blue), but html is rather picky about what it accepts.

But you may replace all x's by 0 through 9 and A through F in

(after re-reading the last bit of information I realize that the code with xxxxxxx in it was probably not a valid code! I now see that I was supposed to put 0-9 and A-F in where the x's were! I have tried that at home and it worked well!)

This should display a rather simple page, with a background color (the first is yellow, the last some kind of red).----------"

Unfortunately this problem is occurring on the computer at work so I won't be able to try anything new on that computer again until Monday........

When I tried them at work I tried this code.....

and then I tried this code.......

and I tried this code.......

...... the result was just blank white webpages with the words My first webpage at the top.......

I have just tried them on my home computer and these were the results (so I now know that I DID do it correctly....)

for this code I got a white page on my home computer......

for this code I got a "maroon" page on my home computer.......

for this code I got a black page on my home computer.........

for this code I got an orange page on my home computer.......
<html><body bgcolor=#B16D45>My first webpage.</body></html>

for this code I got a goldenrod-like yellow page on my home computer.....
<html><body bgcolor=#C18E26>My first webpage.</body></html>

I'm not trying to make a webpage or anything, I am just frustrated that when I go online on my work computer...... the whole webpage layout is white...... its really bizarre.... I thought it might be the monitor but there is nothing that I havent tried regarding color..... I have also tried going into the control panel to accessibility options and reset the computer to high contrast like other websites have suggested but that doesn't help at all...... This was the only website that had a different idea other than going to the acc. opt. so I thought you all might be of more help! I am by no means, a computer whiz, but I am also not an idiot so any instructions that you give me will be followed correctly and if I feel that something isn't going right then I will correct my own mistakes no matter how long it takes! So please give me any instructions or ideas that you might have and I will run with it! And in case you missed the info, I won't be able to try any ideas that you have on the work computer until Monday but I will attempt them on my home computer if need be..... thank you soooooo much for your help and I hope I don't annoy you too much!

~Sunny~

Collapse -
Web pages at work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 6, 2009 9:19 PM PST

It isn't clear what web pages you mean at work. If your work place uses its own web site, then the web site administrator is the only one who can change the appearance and attributes of the web site.

The same goes for any web site on the internet. You cannot generally change how a web site displays because the HTML code is pre-set by the web site designer before it is downloaded to your browser. There are ways to change some aspects in some cases, but this is more advanced web site coding and depends if the web site is using a method called CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets.

But for your own web site, you need to know that the HTML follows rules, and usually, for any element that is started, there has to be an end element as well. For example, the code below is an example of what I would use for my own web site;

{Note, you would normally use < brackets > to enclose elements, but the Jive forum software used here may attempt to interpret those, so I have substituted them for ( brackets) }.

(html)
(head)
(title)Home(/title)
(/head)
(body bgcolor="#000000" text="#305C5B" link="#305C5B" vlink="#305C5B")
(center)
(br)(br)
(b)Image of the moment(br)(/font)
(br)
(img src="Images/Ice.jpg" width="400" heght="500" border="1")
(br)
(/center)
(/body)
(/html)

Notice that (html) must be the first tag in the code, and (/html) the last.

(head) and (/head), and (title) and (/title), are optional, although normally used.

(body) must have an end (/body) tag.

The (body bgcolor) shown in the example gives a black background. You can experiment with different Hex codes, (numbers and letters from 0-9 and A-F), as you wish.

A web site like http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/php/misc/colours.php will allow you to experiment with different combinations.

Instead of using (body bgcolor), you could, instead, create your own background image. This is usually a small square image that will repeat itself throughout the web page. For instance substituting (body bgcolor) above for (body background="back01.bmp") would repeat the image "back01.bmp" to make a seamless and continuous background.

That back01.bmp I created myself as a single color image in Paint.

What you type between the (body) <-----> (/body) tags becomes the content of the web page.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
They could be overriding the background colors...
by John.Wilkinson / February 7, 2009 7:34 AM PST

It is possible your employer has changed the browser preferences, accidentally or intentionally, to change all webpage backgrounds to white, which is most likely the case if all websites have a white background when they don't at home. Such preferences are easily changed, though, based on the browser and OS being used. (Share that and we can provide detailed instructions.)

John

Collapse -
I will attempt this on Monday!
by brangwen21 / February 7, 2009 10:16 AM PST

Thanks for the info.... I will ask on Monday when my boss comes in..... I'm hoping it is as easy as that! It is primarily my computer and I am the only one who has such a problem with my firefox and IE. I'll post more then!

~Sunny~

Collapse -
Sorry, I misunderstood.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 6:42 PM PST

I thought you were trying to create your own web site.

I will let John respond to your post. He's quite good! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
I believe he is doing both...
by John.Wilkinson / February 8, 2009 12:07 AM PST

He is attempting to create his own webpage, and made an initial mistake, but once corrected he found that what works on his home computer does not work on his work computer, a problem that extend to all websites. So I think we are both right, but thanks for the compliment. Happy

John

Collapse -
You are both kind of right?!!!! :-P
by brangwen21 / February 8, 2009 7:26 AM PST

In some ways you are both right...... I am trying to create the webpage because that is what the initial response was to the original posters question buuuuuuutttttt............. I am not trying to create my OWN webpage in order to have a webpage..... I am merely doing so because thats what the initial response said to do...... My problem is exactly like the original post stated....... no matter what website I go to..... not one that I created....... either in firefox or internet explorer..... the pages that load onto my computer screen dont have any background color whatsoever..... say I go to myspace.com to check my account or to read a friends... etc....... on the screen that is loaded (to quote the original poster) "I can see the text, but the background colors and pictures are all gone. Instead, the backgound is all white." The current screen has a picture of kid rock surrounded with black as the background and blue for the myspace title on my home computer but on my work computer, the entire background would be white and there would be no picture of kid rock nor the black surrounding him or the blue myspace title......... instead the white background would have a font where the writing would be but without a box around it and sometimes the lettering would be written on top of another group of words..... its quite hard to explain...... when I get to work would there be a way to send you a picture of what I am talking about? That might be an easier way to explain my problem....... oh and by the way....... I am a girl! No offense taken! I just thought that was quite funny John!!!!! Happy Either way whether I am male or female, you guys are awesome at trying to figure out my problem! Thank you sooooooo much!

~Sunshine~

Collapse -
Oops!
by John.Wilkinson / February 8, 2009 7:45 AM PST

Sorry...In formal writing I always (properly) use "he/she" when I do not know an individual's gender, but in casual writing, such as here in the forums, I tend to use only the gender-specific pronoun to simplify my writing. It's something I need to get away from, but I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it, though.

As to the picture, you can press the Print Screen key on the keyboard to take a picture of the screen and save it to the clipboard. Then, before you copy anything else, you can open Paint or another image application and paste the screenshot. Once saved, you can upload it to a site such as ImageShack.us (free to use; no registration required) and copy-and-paste the provided link to the image here into your reply here.

John

Collapse -
I did get a chuckle out of it!
by brangwen21 / February 8, 2009 3:38 PM PST
In reply to: Oops!

I guess you could call me "he" in some aspects of my life! In fact that is an ongoing joke amongst my friends and I! I really get a kick out of people being shocked when I tell them that I change my own oil and tires, and when I tell them that most of my furniture in my house was assembled by me and not my husband (and other such things)!..... he's just the type of guy who doesn't like to follow written instructions so he will usually just pass the task off to me.....! I guess I find pleasure in knowing that I can do it all on my own and most people are impressed that I am happy to do it and I find it fun to do so! As for the suggestion about "taking a picture" of a website, I will be happy to try your suggestion! I am going to attempt it here on my home computer so that I will do it right when I go to work tomorrow.....

This is what the webpage is supposed to look like (how it looks on my computer)....... The only change I have made is resizing it from 2.25 MB to 1.37 MB with IrfanView.....

http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myspacecr8.png

It works for me....... I hope it does for you!..... I'll upload again tomorrow from my work computer! Thanks for everything!

~Sunshine~

Collapse -
Okay I'm at work!
by brangwen21 / February 9, 2009 2:25 AM PST

So the website background changed for myspace so I am on the MAC (the webpages work on this computer) at work and I have taken a picture of the firefox page so here is that link.....

http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1hi9.png

I hope that works!

I have to switch to the other computer now for the webpages that don't work!

~Sunshine~

Collapse -
Heres the webpage that doesn't look right......
by brangwen21 / February 9, 2009 2:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Replied here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 4:23 AM PST

I've started a new sub-thread here, as the first one was hitting the forum limits on thread length.

That image you supplied of Firefox displaying the Firefox web page is certainly white.

You mentioned a Mac, but that image looks like it comes from a PC.

If you open Firefox and goto Tools > Options, then the Content tab, then under Fonts & Colors, click the Colors button. A small window will display and in that, make sure "Use system colors" is not ticked, but "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selection above" is ticked.

For good measure back to Fonts and colors, click the Advanced button, and make sure that the "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selection above" is ticked.

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
I tried what you suggested...... buuuuuuut.........
by brangwen21 / February 9, 2009 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Replied here.

I tried what you suggested but nothing changed...... the Firefox website still looks the same! As for the comment about the computer being a Mac, the first post that I set a link for was off of the Mac's Firefox web browser, that was the one that looked correct........ the other link that I set was off of the PC's Firefox web browser..... that's the one that doesn't look correct....... Do you have any other ideas?...... Could it be a driver problem or something?....... It is really strange..... I've never seen a computer do this before!......

~Sunshine~

Collapse -
I duplicated it...
by John.Wilkinson / February 9, 2009 6:53 AM PST

There are other ways of causing such an effect, but the to reverse the most common way:
1.) In Firefox, go Tools->Options->Content.
2.) Check the "Load images automatically" box.
3.) Click the Exceptions button next to "Load images automatically" and remove all exceptions.
4.) Click the Colors button.
5.) Uncheck the "Use system colors" checkbox.
6.) Check the "Allow pages to choose their own colors..." checkbox.

Note that your employer may also have their router, firewall, etc. block incoming images. If the above does not work, your best option would be to query your IT department to see what (and why) settings changes and/or blocks have been implemented.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Interesting,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: I duplicated it...

but I have a question, (or two), [:)

Good work duplicating the problem John.

How does that exceptions list get populated in the first place? By deleting all exceptions, I suppose that means that images pulled from other servers can be displayed, even if they are, 'non-agreeable'?

Also, how would that resolve the white background issue? Is it because there is a (body background="image") from some 3rd party server? But if the (body) element is just a bgcolor, set to whatever the web designer chose, then it may not be an image?

I'm not doubting you. Honest!

Mark

Collapse -
You would be wise to do so...
by John.Wilkinson / February 10, 2009 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting,

I learned not to trust myself at an early age. Devil

"How does that exceptions list get populated in the first place?"
-> Exceptions must be manually added by the user/installer.

"By deleting all exceptions, I suppose that means that images pulled from other servers can be displayed, even if they are, 'non-agreeable'?"
-> Indeed.

"Also, how would that resolve the white background issue? Is it because there is a (body background="image") from some 3rd party server?"
-> More or less.

"But if the (body) element is just a bgcolor, set to whatever the web designer chose, then it may not be an image?"
-> Correct. That is why you want to enable the webpage's settings to override those of the system. Background images and background colors are enabled/overridden individually in this case.

John

Collapse -
Got it!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2009 4:17 AM PST

Thanks John.

I knew I could trust you, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Well y'all..... It didnt work :(
by brangwen21 / February 10, 2009 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Got it!

I was really hoping it would work but it didn't..... It seems as though it may be something more than just the browser settings....... I am still up for more suggestions though if anyone has any! Thanks yall for being soooooooo patient and racking your brains for answers....... It might just be one of those unanswerable questions....... like.... What is the meaning of life?.... Or something like that! Happy ......... Thanks for all your help and keep those ideas coming!

~Sunshine~

Collapse -
Indeed, Mark.
by Kees Bakker / February 9, 2009 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Replied here.

I could reproduce the second picture by unchecking 'allow pages to choose their own colors' and when I checked it again I got the original back.
So I'm rather sure it's a setting.

My suggestion to the original poster:
1. Make (experiment only) a new Windows XP account and try Firefox there. It will get default settings and no add-ons. Should work. Does it?
2. If it works, delete the Firefox profile in Application Data. Firefox should create a new default one the first time you run it. Does it look good now?

In IE there's something like this in the accessability options, I think. But I didn't try.

Kees

Collapse -
Me too... and I'm a web developer...
by phedhex / November 9, 2009 10:57 AM PST

Hey all -

So I have a job in HTML / CSS, and I can't even seem to figure this one out. I'm on xp, sp3, and Chrome and Opera work perfectly fine, but ie7 & ff3 don't seem to work.

When I discovered this, I uninstalled ff (including profile stuff) and started reinstalled 3.5 (without importing anything), and it's still jacked.

Firefox in safemode doesn't do anything either.

It seems that all bg images and bg colors aren't loading. Normal images work fine, & flash renders alright as well.

I'm in the process of installing IE8. I'll post back here with that update.

Collapse -
virus?
by phedhex / November 9, 2009 11:14 AM PST

ie8 doesn't fix anything. When it loaded up, it didn't default to msn.com or anything, but an ask.com affiliate. I did a search on that string appended to the end of the url (?o=14597&l=dis) and came up w/ some malware results.

: (

Trend Micro here I come.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.