Mac Applications

Question

Big Problem: Images changed into boxes & question marks

by lduqueno / August 15, 2012 11:39 PM PDT

Hello,

Images inserted in presentations and docs both in Keynote and Pages are replaced by boxes with question marks.
Have tried reinstalling, throwing away plist etc Most files ( 3 years of work, a book in progress ) seem corrupted.
The files show same error in my other macs.
Maddening.

Thanks very much in advance for suggestions.

Lduqueno

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Big Problem: Images changed into boxes & question marks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Big Problem: Images changed into boxes & question marks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: big problem
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 15, 2012 11:47 PM PDT

Two questions:
1. Are the images themselves included into the presentations and docs or do those documents only contain links to where-ever they were (another file on the internet or on your hard disk)? Usually, in MS Word at least, it's best (performancewise) to use 'Insert as link'.
2. What's your latest good backup? It makes a lot of sense to backup such a 3 years of work every month or so to CD/DVD or every week to iCloud or Dropbox (and to USB-stick every day).

Kees

Collapse -
Big Problem - Boxes & questions marks
by lduqueno / August 16, 2012 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: big problem

Hi Kees,Tks for attention.I drag picts directly from my desktop or other folders containing picts. Since always worked perfectly did not think about linking or anything. The error according to early links in Forums relate the loss to copying the files to other drives. I backed up to other drives. All kaput now. So weird. Rgds.

Collapse -
Re: boxes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 4:02 AM PDT

If moving those pics to another drive causes that boxes and question marks, that can only mean that the pictures aren't included in the documents, but that it are links. Then moving them back to their original location should do the trick. Why not try with a few?

Kees

Collapse -
boxes & question marks
by lduqueno / August 16, 2012 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: boxes

It is not the picts i move to other drives, it is Keynote presentations or pages docs which i do and these contain (are supposed to contain) images. It worked flawlessly since 2006. But the error does not only show in
the files in the external drives. It is on my 2011 big iMac where the terror happens. How can the act of copying files to a drive possibly corrupt or confuse the original file?

lduqueno

Collapse -
Re: pics
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 17, 2012 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: boxes & question marks

It can't. So it must be something else.

It's easy to see if the docs contain images. Docs with images are much larger (in bytes) then docs with links to images. Only you can see how big your file is. If it contains all images, it must be bigger than all those image taken together. If it's just text and links it will be much smaller than that.

Anyway, IF the documents are corrupted by some other reason, replace them by your last backup of a good version. That's why you backup.

Kees

Collapse -
One of the easiest ways around this problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 8:27 AM PDT

is to create a folder and put all the pictures AND the Keynote file inside it.
Now Keynote knows exactly where they are and, should you want to take the presentation to another computer, taking the whole folder means that you have everything you need, right where it should be.

Alternatively, if this presentation is only going to be used on your own computer, re-link the pictures to the new location on the "other drives"

P

Collapse -
It's not a presentation, ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 6:23 PM PDT

it's a book he already has been working 3 years on.

So assuming he wants to get it published when it's finished in another 3 years, he will have the same difficulties as he has now when he wants to bring the finished product to the publisher. It's good he found it out now, so - after correcting this minor issue - he can do the other half the right way immediately.
Thinking you lost 6 years of work must be twice as maddening as thinking you lost 3 years.

Kees

Collapse -
Strange, that is what he said in his original post
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 18, 2012 12:14 AM PDT

"Images inserted in presentations and docs"
Whether it be a Pages document or a Keynote presentation, if he keeps all the images inside the folder containing the documents and presentation, his problem is solved.

P

Collapse -
Boxes & Question marks
by lduqueno / August 18, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

Thanks for input.

It will be very difficult to trace all the images i ever used and place it in a folder and the presentation.
And the thing is: every iwork user must do that? It worked perfectly before.
I would take the file to another mac having iwork installed and it would function perfectly.
For many years.

Why it happens all of a sudden without having changed system or mac, a 2011 imac which is regularly
kept well with diskwarrior & onyx? Clean and proper in all respects?

Something has gone wrong and i should like to correct it. There must be somewhere a cause and a way out of it.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Collapse -
OK, I'm stumped,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2012 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Boxes & Question marks

If this ran perfectly before and you have not made any changes to the machine and/or iWork, then it has to be something that you are doing slightly differently.
I just created a small presentation, with pictures, and moved the file to an external drive.
Played just fine when I opened it.

sorry

P

Collapse -
Boxes & Questions Marks
by lduqueno / August 19, 2012 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, I'm stumped,

Thanks but the key is precisely to find what is that slightly difference.
You making successfuly a file and moving it does not solve my problem but i congratulate you for being able to do that. I did not say you had a problem. I have.
Anyway Apples's iwork team noticed my problem and are working with it..
Am pleased about it.
Rgds
l

Collapse -
I was merely commenting on the fact that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 21, 2012 8:13 AM PDT

moving the presentation without moving the images, did not cause a problem, which is why I started my post off with "OK, I'm stumped"

There really was no need for the sarcastic comment.

I'm sure the contributors here would like to know what the final solution is.

P

Collapse -
any luck?
by Paulo101ab / November 6, 2012 8:18 PM PST

hi
i am having this problem now.
did apple find a solution for you?
paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.