TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Big home media question, please advise

by slimbot21 / February 17, 2013 12:18 PM PST

I'm a new member to this forum and am looking to the experts to help me figure this out. So here goes...

I recently purchased a WD Live streamer and hooked up my external drive to it and it played everything perfectly. I then tried to stream things just from the windows streaming capabilities and it lagged bad. So then I upgraded my wireless router to a Netgear N600 (needed a new one anyway), and streaming is on point and perfect.

When I bought the router, I also picked up a NAS to connect to my new router (needed more storage anyway). The transfer rates were around 7mb/s and it took a while to transfer a larger hd video over to the NAS. The router also has a USB port on it and I figured out that I could attach a "normal" external hard drive and still share the files across my network.

So here is my dilemma...

Would you recommend keeping the 2TB NAS and dealing with the time to transfer files, return it for a 2TB external drive (like a passport that's easily accessible) and load it up with media and then hook it up to my router, OR buy a large 3TB external drive and run a virtual server like serviio that's linked to the hd?

It's a lot to ask, but I'd like to get some insight into what the board thinks. Pros and cons of each or recommendations for products or solutions and ideas that I haven't thought of.

Thanks for reading.

Slim

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Big home media question, please advise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Big home media question, please advise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I can't see the setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 1:19 PM PST

I read the post twice but can't get the picture. I'll share anyway a big thing I correct a lot. Ready?

Don't put a NAS or streamer on WiFi. Wire that and let your clients be on WiFi.
Bob

Collapse -
Response
by slimbot21 / February 17, 2013 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: I can't see the setup.

The NAS was connected to the router via Ethernet cable. I tried to send a file from my wireless laptop to the NAS and got slow transfer times (the highest was 7mb/s). From what I understand about NAS devices, it's supposed to be able to let you transfer files from your home network.

If I hook up an external drive to my pc for instance and transfer the file, it's pretty quick. Then my router has a USB port that I could use to connect the hd to and access files across my network.

Collapse -
When I had problems w/ mine...
by Pepe7 / February 17, 2013 2:00 PM PST
In reply to: Response

...I visited the community forums @ WD to seek out help. Try poking around here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/Setting-up-my-WD-TV-Live-to-connect-my-home-network/td-p/180838

Most of my content is SD, so I have never had issues streaming wirelessly using my WDTV Live. You really have to experiment with it to see which network configuration gives you the best performance. That includes which devices you end up with the perform best in your situation.

Bob is correct- wired is going to avoid most of the delays of wireless connections, even using 'N' dual band routers.

FWIW, I will be adding an entry level Synology NAS soon to my own setup. Great cloud sharing ability as well as all the other great NAS trappings(!) Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.