The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Bi-Directional Music-on-Hold Device?

by schwine2 / March 22, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

I'm looking for a Music-on-Hold Device that is bi-directional.

Here is the reason: I need to transfer audio content directly from my
digital telephone onto my Mac computer. Note that my telephone has an answering machine built into it, but I don't have the PBX system.

So I'm using the Music-on-Hold box as a way to do the transfer. Once on my computer, I'll work with the audio content as an mp3 file.

I've been looking at the OHP 6500 Music-on-Hold unit, but I'm not sure if it's bi-directional or not.

Note that I don't have the 3CX VOIP Phone System, but I haven't been able to find a more suitable forum for my question.

Thanks for any tips.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bi-Directional Music-on-Hold Device?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bi-Directional Music-on-Hold Device?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Software equivalent
by cliffgolt / November 30, 2009 2:03 PM PST

Hi there,

Maybe you can opt for a software equivalent to set your music on-hold system instead of using a bi-directional device. But search for Music Tel Net a device that can also be LAN connected.

Collapse -
Bi-Directional Music On Hold
by sdmarc / April 8, 2010 2:12 AM PDT

Can you clarify what you mean by bi directional? Most music on hold players have a single RCA output, intended to plug into a music on hold port on a pbx phone system. Those music on hold players output audio only.

On hold players like the OHP 6500 you mention essentially patch the audio into your phone lines while a call is holding. The 6500 uses the existing hold button on most standard (non-pbx) phones, in conjunction with a little dongle that connects to the curly handset cord.

If you're just trying to record content from a phone call, you can do that with either a call recording service, or you can physically connect a phone patch device (like the TR-70) and run the audio jack to the mic input of your Mac. Hope that helps, but if I missed the mark on what you're trying to do, just let me know.

Collapse -
OHP 6500 Music On Hold Device
by sgorick / May 30, 2010 9:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
On Hold Message Player
by sgorick / June 7, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

I forgot to mention one other thing. The OHP 6500 is a pretty good
<a href="">on hold message player</a> for the money.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.