PC Applications forum

General discussion

Beware of Registry Patrol

by BRRRR1 / April 12, 2006 1:53 AM PDT

I purchased this on line (unlock key) and they offered a free spyware program.

The program also had a glitch and did not work properly.

After two weeks and no help e-mails I found out by them requiring payment through Pay-Pal for the key code (not actual physical item) I was screwed. A neat scham in my opinion. They got my money I got a program that don't work.

They got my $27.00, I got a program that don't work and their offer of a free bonus Spy Shield would not download.

They have an online help that hasn't been on line for two weeks.

Don't purchase this or anything from them. You are on your own!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Beware of Registry Patrol
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Beware of Registry Patrol
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I notice no user reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 2:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
You may like to try this one
by Dick Humfrey / April 12, 2006 4:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nightmare of a Customer
by Haidar-s / April 24, 2006 12:47 PM PDT

We would like to respond to the accusations made by this consumer. Our experience began when he did not follow instructions and click through paypal to receive his unlock key - of which it clearly states that it can take up to 48 hours to receive a new code.
Since registry patrol's launch, we have had customers downloaded over 10,000 copies, and this is the first complaint regarding the software we have received.
Our rating with paypal is exceptional, and we have extensive records of satisfied customers.
I suspect that this customer is likely a competing software seller who has decided to use forums like this to attempt to smear a quality product.

Collapse -
You can have your suspicion, but no proof...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 24, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

He may also just be someone who's impatient and wants things on his own schedule. have you offered any accommodation?
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
Nightmare of a Customer
by Haidar-s / April 28, 2006 2:22 AM PDT

Yes, as with any of our software, we provide a money back guarantee of which this fellow had his money refunded. Again, our reputation with paypal is impecable and our software has thousands of very satisfied users.

Collapse -
A Nightmare
by sandysvoice / June 13, 2006 5:12 PM PDT

I purchased Registry Patrol and had to reload it due to a technical problem. I clicked on the help button, and have sent emails with my receipt number to administration@registrypatrol.com and support@registrypatrol.com for the past two weeks and still have not received a response. I would not recommend purchasing this product.

Collapse -
another nightmare -
by oneCNETuser / June 13, 2006 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: A Nightmare

I also am having the same problem. I have sent several e-mails with no response. I have been trying to get a refund since May. They just don't reply.

I going to try and find a phone number for the Post Media Group and I'll see what happens.

I hate being ripped off!!!

Collapse -
who to contact for refund
by oneCNETuser / June 13, 2006 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: another nightmare -

I found this from a McAfee site. Other people are having the same problems as we are. This is the contact person. Good Luck!

Darren Thompson
5135 189 St NW
Edmonton, AB
T6M 2L1

+1 780 484 0195
Since: 03-Jun-2005

Collapse -
Purchase of Registry Patrol - Full Version
by rsandifer / March 31, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

Purchased full version of Registry Patrol using my PayPal account. They accepted my payment but I can't get the downloaded version to work. I have sent them multiple e-mails with only one response suggesting a link which didn't work. This response was to my very first e-mail. Since then, they have not responded to any of my e-mails. I have the icon on my desktop but when double-clicking it, the Registry Patrol screen comes up and it says "Initializing". After a few seconds it goes away and nothing happens. Please help!

Collapse -
A response to all
by PorkyJJ / March 31, 2010 9:02 AM PDT

I have written to this thread several times. I have also contacted local and federal police, BBB and many other institutions that we would think would take care of this issue.
One person cannot do this alone
We have all encountered problems with Registry Patrol. We've all wittnessed the same repeat problems through this company.

To me, anymore, it's not about the measley $40.00. It's about the fact that not one official agency wants to do anything about this problem. They ALL pass the buck.

What I am asking is for any/all of you to keep fighting. Obviously CNET is just a venting platform and no one at CNET can or will do anything.
You must go to your local or federal agencies and demand resolve.

All I want is to see Registry patrol to get off the internet and hopefully be charged. For any of us to get our money back would be a pipe dream.
What would go over... An audit team to calculate how much actual fraud took place and then have all of the stolen funds from registry patrol donate to a charity, with comfirmation to us. Then the owner goes to jail for fraud.

Collapse -
REgistry Patrol software fraud
by roseistaz / July 2, 2010 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: A response to all

Just to let you know, I did contact Paypal and the Canada BBB over this fraudulant company that sells Registry Patrol ( company known as Post Media Network a division of Veritext Media). You can not find a phone number from Canada, they do not answer emails, their program will mess up your programs like microsoft excel, and who is to say they are not hacker??? Besides paying with paypal, a company called ClickBank is involved. Send your complaints....there is huge fraud. I see posts from five years ago and I bought my software yesterday.
Can a techi tell me whether to uninstall program first then restore computer to previous working day or restore to previous working day first then uninstall? My other programs are infected. The program itself offers a restore point, but do not want to click one more item in this corrupt software program. Troubled Taz

Collapse -
System Restore should work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 7:05 AM PDT

then there is no need to uninstall, it isn't there any more.

Collapse -
Registry Patrol dodgy website
by Pucinek / August 3, 2010 1:16 AM PDT

As all of you I to have fallen a victim to this company. Worst then all of you because every time I clicked on CONFIRM THE PURCHASE this ERROR popped up telling me that

"DPD is unable to deliver this product.

DPD did not receive the information it needs to validate this sale. You will be unable to download this product until proper payment validation can be made. "
So I repeated the order and the same message popped up SEVEN times.

I rung PayPal and got one return payment and then I had to ring Clikbank and explain the situation and get the refund for the rest of the SIX transaction.
I don't understand how they can get away with trading still.I was lucky the Clikbank refunded all the repeated transactions a few minutes ago. But I didn't wait. I bombarded everybody immediately I have realized that something is wrong.

Clikbank or your Credit card should refund the money for dodgy transactions.

Collapse -
PS to Registry Patrol my previous statement
by Pucinek / August 3, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

I forgot to add that after I repeated my order SEVEN times I thought that maybe the website is faulty and was going to email them . When I opened my email.... I nearly fainted. There were ALL SEVEN orders ACCEPTED and payments made via PayPal and Clikbank.

But because I acted very quick I got the PayPal to refund one payment and the remaining SIX Clikbank refunded few minutes ago. Go and fight the Clikbank and your credit Cards. PayPal said they don't refund downloading purchases as they cannot be traced.

Good luck

Collapse -
A refund is possible!
by burnt-orange / August 3, 2010 1:40 AM PDT

Got my $$ back. Persistence is the key, that and a lot of noise!

Here it is again

It took a LOT of digging, numerous emails to everyone I could find that had anything to do with Postmedia and Registry patrol, phone calls (unanswered) to home telephones, PayPal dispute, Whois searches etc. Here is the email I sent to every address that I could find. Finally I received a refund today! (postmedia@shaw.ca is most recent for Darren I think)

to partnerships@postmedianetwork.com
cc bradharris@postmedianetwork.com,

Dear Darren

I purchased Registry Patrol online on June 22. It did not work. Registry Patrol support sent one email in response to my problem report suggesting I re-install the program. It still does not work and I am unable to get any more service from customer support. All I get are automated emails saying that I am important and you will get back to me within 48 hours. That's it.

Now, I understand that a piddling $29 may seem like not a lot of money to throw away on non-functioning software, but your site states a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I am definitely NOT satisfied and want my money back.

Please refer to the info below and refund my money immediately. If you are unable or unwilling to do so, please show me the courtesy of a reply email explaining your action.

I am beginning to get the feeling that this whole situation is a fraudulent ripoff simply because of the lack of response to my emails. This is an opportunity to prove that Postmedia Network is an upstanding company that stands behind its product and guarantee.

Thank you,

Transaction Details

Web Accept Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #033719XXXXXXXXXX)

Business Name:
The Post Media Network (The recipient of this payment is Non-U.S. - Verified)
Payment Sent to:

Total Amount:
-$29.95 USD

Item Amount:
$29.95 USD
$0.00 USD
$0.00 USD
Item Title:
Registry Patrol Unlock Key
Item Number:
Jun. 22, 2008
16:27:23 PDT

Shipping Address:
No Address Provided

Business Contact Information

Customer Service URL: http://www.postmedianetwork.com
Customer Service Email: support@postmedianetwork.com

Funding Type:
PayPal Funds
Funding Source:
$29.95 USD - PayPal Account
Post 74 of 223 | Previous | Next

Collapse -
mmm address identical
by carveit / August 1, 2010 3:28 PM PDT

I also went to AskNerd today and was about to download this so called Registry Patrol when I decided to check out this forum. Thanks to you I have been saved the frustration you have all had to endure. It is somewhat interesting to me that the address you found for these guys is exactly same as the address for AskNerd and the other product recommended was also a Post Media Network product in spite of the following disclaimer.
"Editors Note:
AskNerd is not an affiliate of Registry Patrol and XP Medic and does not receive a commission on these products or any type of payment to recommend these titles."
Scam indeed. Oh the AskNerd email does not work either.

Collapse -
Saved me from wasting $39.95
by bobo_boy / January 24, 2011 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: mmm address identical

To "mmm address identical" - Likewise, i was ready to push the purchase button, when a little voice told me to look for some reviews on the product. I'm so glad I did. I never would have believed that this seemingly reputable product, reviewed and recommenede by AskNerd would actually be a big scam. Thanx to all who took the time to post your comments - i would rather share my $39.95 with you than risk it with Post Media Network.

Collapse -
Buyers BEWARE of Registry Patrol
by DEdmundC / October 15, 2008 2:12 PM PDT

I purchased Registry Patrol and installed it in my Dell Precision Workstation. However, I could not get the software to work. I contacted customer service several times and always got an automatic, computer-generated response assuring me someone would be in touch with me soon. However, NO ONE EVER RESPONDED. Only after I complained to the Better Business Bureau and sent a copy of my complaint to Registry Patrol, did a real person ever respond to my e-mails. However, they have NOT YET sent my refund, so I am prepared to take this to the next higher level. They offer VERY POOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT and an unreliable product. Avoid them at all costs.

Collapse -
by FelixKanfer / July 24, 2009 5:01 AM PDT

I have exactly the same experoiemce with Registry Patrol.
No response- only an automated reply.
Program does not fix the Registry a claimed.

Collapse -
Also Just Got Burned by Registry Patrol and PayPal.....
by kapenamz / October 20, 2009 7:51 AM PDT

Here I was, so happy to finally get a fix for my very slow computer as described by AskNerd.com.... and the rug gets pulled from under me.
To let this scam go on for so long is really a shame.
I noticed that all of the replies to this subject have something similar throughout.... that, Registry Patrol is not living up to its word and is shady about how to get to rectify problems. Since this scam just happened to me last night, I see that I have a ways to go before I can get a refund... or, will I be able to even get a refund at all.
SO FAR: As soon as PayPal gobbled up my $39.95, Registry Patrol assigned me an unusually long serial number and a button to download Registry Patrol. That worked.
FROM HERE IT GOES DOWNHILL: I was able to scan my registry (with numerous (?) errors. THEN, "Repair All" did not work..... THEN, no "Read Me" Help available.... THEN, Tech Support didn't work.... THEN, email to Administration didn't work.... THEN, there is no phone number to call.... ABSOLUTELY NO HELP FROM THESE PEOPLE! I cannot understand why they would include a "Contact Us" button, then not have it work.
Now that I've gotten that off of my chest, I AM ASKING CNET FORUM FOR YOUR HELP. We gotta get these guys.
1) Does anyone have a phone number to Post Media Network or Veritext Media?
2) What is the best way to contact PayPal for this specific problem?
3) Do you know of any specific Better Business Bureau and/or Government Agency to forward our complaints to so we might get a meaningful resolution?
4) AND, anything anyone can think of that can help us and the countless others that have been scammed by these people. I thank you in advance for any help that you can give to me on this matter.
Leslie M. Henry
P.S. Thank you DEmundC and keep us posted.... lmh

Collapse -
by sidjo / October 20, 2009 11:37 AM PDT

Go to your PayPal Account & click on disputes. I helped me. Good luck!

Collapse -
It didn't help me
by snowypunto / October 21, 2009 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: "PAYPAL"

I disputed it twice even spoke to them, they were not interested...I think they are now too big to question where he money is going.

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by TDE / October 23, 2009 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: "PAYPAL"

I tried to dispute it with PayPal. When I spoke to them, they told me they won't entertain disputes that involve computer software of any sort, and sent me their User's Agreement to back that up. I pointed out to them that the agreement also says they won't support a seller engaging in fraud, but they didn't want to hear that re: Registry Patrol.

Collapse -
Registry Patrol looks like a scam
by Simon Guild / November 25, 2009 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem Here

I never got the codes and like everyone else never got a response to repeated emails to their "help desk". PayPal should not be facilitating this kind of thing, but they clearly don't care either.

Collapse -
Registry Patrol's scam
by moribu / December 11, 2009 5:00 AM PST

I came across website AskNerd.net suggesting Registry Patrol as one of the better programs used by them. I Googled and was shocked to learn how so many individuals' are unhappy with the company and program itself. Many thanks for this form.

Collapse -
Another victim
by cwgolden / October 22, 2009 11:03 PM PDT

I also purchased Registry Patrol and had the same problems as everybody else. I disputed it through paypal and registry patrol sent an unlocked url which when I go to install it my antivirus doesn't allow it. States "probably a variant of WIN32/Genetik trojan." Now what??

Collapse -
Not Happy !
by PorkyJJ / October 23, 2009 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Another victim

I too bought this program and have been ripped off. 2 emails and finally a registered letter. I'll post my result here. I checked their address against Canada 411 and no phone number. Nice business

Collapse -
Yet another
by leshall1032 / November 17, 2009 6:07 PM PST
In reply to: Another victim

I purchased Registry Patrolrecently. It appeared to work on the first download but it hasn't worked since. A similar story. My spyware programme blocked it because it was always wanting access to AdZula. I thought that I was downloading version 7 but in fact I got version 4 and now it will only load the 'intialising page' but not the programme. No help with Paypal either - out of time. I am very surprised that after so many unsatisfied customers Paypal are still assisting this company to trade.

Collapse -
by rcis4me / December 12, 2009 3:06 AM PST

I also purchased Registry Patrol. I received no unlock code and no replies to emails.
Post Media Network is a scam.
Do not buy from them!!!!

Collapse -
registry patrol refund
by nitelite333 / December 12, 2009 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: ALSO GOT BURNED

to all who are concerned about a refund. i purchased RP last night at about 10:00pm 12/11/09. absolute junk. quickly deleted both it and idenity patrol. contacted paypal resolution center today 12/12/09 and have already received confirmation of my refund. i don't know about anyone else but i informed paypal that they are well aware of this 'BIG' problem and they needed to become involved in my refund. while they implied that they were just 'forwarding my email to Post Media Network, quess what? PMN immediately agreed to a full refund of $39.95. so to all concerned, i was granted a refund within 18 hours. i hope this helps all others seeking a refund...dave miller

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.