PC Hardware forum

better way to physically carry the PC tower...?

by ATP-1 / August 27, 2014 7:56 PM PDT

I have moved to temporary lodgings & have put the box into temporary storage.

Now, there is the distinct possibility that I will move to better lodgings. This will enable me to set up my equipment as it should be.

However, besides the great assistance from this forum, I have access to a very small number of people who can actually physically attend to the equipment proper.

I am seriously considering moving to a place which is actually quite a long way from either of these friends. Leaving me to the uncomfortable proposition of actually physically carrying my PC tower to their place.

It was bad enough when I had access to the
repair shop. I used particularly colourful language then, & this was only having to cart it 4x up & down 4-5 flights of stairs.

My question is this: is there a better way to carry the PC tower, without actually having to cart the whole thing each time?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: better way to physically carry the PC tower...?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: better way to physically carry the PC tower...?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How big, how far and how capable?
by Steven Haninger / August 27, 2014 8:53 PM PDT

You might want to note your own abilities and give an idea of how much weight is involved. As well, how far does it need to go? You take out all the cables, of course. You mentioned flights of stairs. Will you need to navigate those in this move? The options you have depend on your physical ability, how much weight is involved and how far you're going. Transportation aids can include dollies, elevators, etc. You didn't mention damage prevention so I'll presume that's under control and you're looking for the physical aspects.

Collapse -
How big, how far, how capable?...
by ATP-1 / August 27, 2014 10:15 PM PDT

I really hadn't thought so much about it. But, your questions do make a lot of sense, as you indicate that there is more to this than I had considered.

Well, I am an able bodied, middle aged male who has (unfortunately) the usual physical profile associated with Western men of this age group

As to weight of the box, I am unable to say. I am able to indicate that it is not a souped-up machine. Standard PC form factor. It is still large, heavy & cumbersome enough, even when I put it in its original cardboard box with handles for carrying. It is the combination of size, shape & weight that makes it just really awkward.

As to distance, I have no specific figures, but there's walking considerable distances to train station, carrying onto & off train, buses. Can't say whether there will be flights of stairs needing to be scaled in the future.

Not sure what you're referring to when you say "damage prevention". What does this entail?

I would certainly like to know more about the suggested dollies, & other manual aids (I guess you could say).

Collapse -
Re: alternative
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 27, 2014 10:26 PM PDT

Ever thought about replacing your desktop with a laptop? Those are easy to carry, where-ever you go. And probably you could use it even in your temporary lodgings, while your bulky PC is stored away.

Collapse -
Yeah, go for a laptop..
by mr-simonski / August 28, 2014 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: alternative

Yeah, that's the best thing you can do: just use a laptop! And in case you're a gamer, there are good graphic chips for laptops available.

My nephew plays a lot and he used first a desktop PC and then went for a laptop to be able to carry the device to friends etc.

Collapse -
Thanks but...
by ATP-1 / August 28, 2014 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: alternative

I already have a laptop. My desktop is a digital video workstation. My laptop is meant for 'light' work, & never intended to replace my desktop--rather supplement it.

Collapse -
I'm just a bit confused here as to the bigger picture
by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2014 3:23 AM PDT

You're in temporary quarters but will be moving far away. Your PC is in storage. What I'm thinking is that your PC isn't all that will be moving with you. You have other possessions so how are they going to be transported? The obvious thing is to have the computer go with your other stuff...furniture, appliances, tools, etc. They all can go the same way, can't they. As for damage prevention, I was thinking about how to pack it safely. You're not going to hand carry it all the way to your new place, are you? Even if you're currently living out of a suitcase, a PC with monitor, kbd, etc., isn't something you carry on trains and buses with luggage. I don't know all of your circumstances or those of your upcoming move but I could suggest you just take the PC to someone like UPS and have it shipped. You said you had the original carton but even if you didn't there are places that will pack and ship via carrier of your choice.

Collapse -
Yes, but I do think
by ATP-1 / August 28, 2014 2:35 PM PDT

that ultimately these concerns are secondary.

The major point is that based on previous experience, say 2-3x a year, I had to physically carry the tower outside my apartment, down 5 flights of stairs, walk 5 minutes to the compound entrance, grab a taxi to the repair shop. Then had to carry it up another 5 flights of stairs to the repair shop. Then repeat the exercise from the repair shop to my apartment.

What I am referring to in my OP, is not a one-time affair. It is based on the assumption, that given my circumstances, I will likely be the one going to their place if & when repairs or attention is required. It is highly unlikely that they would come to me.

So, I am asking 2 things:

i) DO I have really have to take the tower or not?

ii) IF I DO have to take the tower, is there anything that I can obtain in the way of (very) cheapish equipment that will enable me to transport it with much reduced effort & angst?

Collapse -
a good lead...PC tower harness
by ATP-1 / August 28, 2014 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but I do think

Well, thanks to Mr Haninger's interest, my own interest was piqued enough to undertake a few hours (?) internet research.

What I found is that there is such a device or piece of equipment, but apparently not on wheels. Instead, it is either hand-carry or takes the form of a back pack:

Must not be a lot of gamers in this particular forum...

Collapse -
a further good lead...PC tower transport equipment
by ATP-1 / September 9, 2014 3:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
good leads...but needs to be verified
by ATP-1 / September 10, 2014 2:35 PM PDT

My research is mostly by initial image search.

However, when I have investigated further, & the source/supplier/manufacturer site, in some cases product which I have provided links to either has been removed from the catalogue or has been moved someplace else in the site, & can't be retrieved under that search term/key words.

And some of these are in German. I neither speak nor read German, & I attempted as best I could to search the site in English search terms. Sometimes this may work.

I can only conclude that if product has been removed from a catalogue, the supplier or manufacturer does not seek to perform an internet-wide search & removal of such product images.

Collapse -
I thought you were asking about moving the PC
by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2014 7:07 PM PDT

from storage to a new dwelling place and not to and from a repair shop. If you're having to frequently transport to machine to a repair facility, you'd be better off replacing it once you're moved in.

Collapse -
Yes, I was asking about moving the PC...
by ATP-1 / August 31, 2014 2:20 PM PDT

from the new dwelling to my friends' places. And this I had indicated, if not explicitly (but based on previous experience) was possibly 2-3x a year.

Collapse -
Just get a dolly
by Steven Haninger / September 4, 2014 9:06 PM PDT

You only mentioned previous experiences but also that you'd be moving so I presumed all would be new. As for the difficulty in the past, you said it had to do with negotiating stairs to a repair shop. I would take it that moving far away would bring all new experiences that you'd not even know until you got there. Get a dolly for now and don't replace that PC with a big one when it dies. Good luck.

Collapse -
By 'dolly' I guess that
by ATP-1 / September 8, 2014 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Just get a dolly
Collapse -
Get something that's multi-purpose...
by Steven Haninger / September 10, 2014 1:36 AM PDT

something that can and will be used more and stored less. The objective is to save your back and joints, isn't it? I'd not get a suitcase or travel bag with a handle as you'd still have to carry it's weight and that of the PC. A cart that will handle the computer and be useful for moving other stuff would be more practical. You decide on the make and model and price you're willing to pay. Good luck.

Collapse -
also consider a flatbed dolly...
by ATP-1 / December 31, 2014 4:07 PM PST

As a follow up to my initial post, I did actually purchase a luggage dolly. This was the model shown here [http://tinyurl.com/o7vr52a]. As stated initially, it was planned to use it just for the transport of my PC/tower.

Well, it became apparent during the latter stages of preparation for moving, that I would be carrying more equipment. In fact, I ended using it to transport all my relevant electronic equipment, both large & small. This amounted to around 7-8 boxes.

The luggage dolly worked quite well for its purpose. However, I think that I could have used at least 1-2 more elasticised straps to secure the boxes to the dolly. I only used the one that was supplied with the dolly, which wasn't enough, as the boxes slipped off 3 x getting from point A to point B. Given the unloading & reloading (for the security checks) at the train stations, as well as the taxi, this proved quite physically taxing.

In researching ecommerce sites for the dolly, I came across a larger & maybe more 'industrial' type shown here [ http://tinyurl.com/m3pckjy].

I very strongly considered it, as the price was acceptable, not much more than the luggage dolly I purchased, and it meant placing the equipment on a flatbed tray, for better weight distribution & balance. However, the problem was the inability to collapse it (as far as I could see from the photos on the ecommerce site) for storage in my tiny apartment for later use. This was the trade off.

I haven't yet had the chance to get my equipment set up again, so I do not know the effect of the slippage on the equipment performance. I have my fingers crossed none or at least minimal effect.

Collapse -
Does this fit?
by bob b / September 1, 2014 2:50 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
hang this outside your window
by James Denison / September 5, 2014 8:32 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.