MacBooks forum

Question

Better to buy refurb from apple or newegg?

by Fisher1n2 / May 6, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

Apple Care Plan vs. what is available thru newegg?
Which way would you go?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Better to buy refurb from apple or newegg?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Better to buy refurb from apple or newegg?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2013 3:34 AM PDT

For example, is there some huge discount at one or the other?

I have an answer but unless the discount is heavy such as 50% I'm back to apple.
Bob

Collapse -
warranty
by Fisher1n2 / May 6, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell a little more.

I see a refurb on ebay thru newegg for 719 plus 172 for a 2 yr Gek Squad tech support warranty,
OR
1K thru apple for a refurb plus 250 for apple care 3 yrs.

Is this a no brainer to go with apple?
Thanks for looking and for your input!

Collapse -
Personally, I'd go with the Apple version.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 6, 2013 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: warranty

No telling who did the "refurb" on the NewEgg one

P

Collapse -
Answer
I chose to go with another vendor for used Macs
by FalconmasterUSA / May 11, 2013 4:52 PM PDT

Apple refurbs are fairly recent models--2011 to 2012. Savings can be $150 and up, depending on the specifications and the age of the model. They come with a one-year warrenty, and you can purchase an AppleCare Protection Plan for your Apple-refurbished computer. I have bought several refurbished products from Apple, but only new Macs. I was satisfied with the refurbished products.

In the past, I have read some negative comments ostensibly posted by Newegg customers who have purchased used Macs from them. Some of the comments were about the physical condition of the cases and keyboards. I do not know how Newegg resolved those issues.

I have purchased used Macs from PowerMax.com. They refurbish their computers and warrant them for 90 days. A 6 month warranty is available for $49-$69. During the first 90 days, you can exchange your used Mac for another model and receive full credit for what you paid initially. Their used Mac inventory is extensive, and you can purchase Mac models from the past ten or twelve years. They describe the physical condition of each used Mac online, and you can call them for additional information about the Mac you are interested in. In making my purchases I have called and spoken with their friendly and knowledgable staff. They will take your old Mac in trade if it meets their criteria.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.