Speakeasy forum

Question

Better breads cost more

by Willy / March 19, 2012 11:48 PM PDT

Other than plain old white bread, every now and then I get the "multi-grain bread". I wonder just why does this cost so much more? I don't see the baking become more difficult than white bread, maybe an extra step or two, but not outright difficult. Everything else falls into what a bread bakery can do as if it were white bread. I realize they can charge more for it, but in many cases almost double? These are not the deli-breads that a local bakery/store makes but the national delivered ones. Any bread that's not white bread gets big price tag, why?

Hey, I'm cheap but find it interesting since if i could the prices compare to fresh deli baked. But, my luck such bakeries aren't close by. -----Willy Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Better breads cost more
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Better breads cost more
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Eating white bread....
by Josh K / March 20, 2012 12:00 AM PDT

....is like eating Styrofoam in terms of nutritional value. Multi-grain or whole wheat are much better for you. You're paying for food instead of filler.

Collapse -
Answer
ONE of my pet peeves also
by JP Bill / March 20, 2012 12:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Bread and everything else
by Steven Haninger / March 20, 2012 12:56 AM PDT

Whoever is calculating those inflation numbers is cooking the books. Either I'm only picking up the grocery items that are skyrocketing in price or food is not being used as an inflation indicator. They're either constantly raising the prices or downsizing the packing. Your pound of raisins comes in 9 oz and 12oz sizes. Your 3 lb coffee can is less than 2 lbs and shrinking. The Quaker oatmeal boxes I last bought at $1.29 is $3.29. And meat,...don't even think about it.

Collapse -
Small sizes
by Willy / March 20, 2012 2:54 AM PDT

During the time I brought the bread in question, like all those other counters now, there were the candy bins. Oh goodie maybe a candy bar for a special treat, NOPE! I reached for it and got a crunching of "emptiness" on one end of the candy bar package. At least 25-30% wasn't there, it had shrunk. The package looks like all the others but had less content than desired, it actually turned me off. They(makers) think we don't know these things, are they so inept to think we won't turn on them. Maybe, that's why Costco and Sam's sell so much in bulk. Talk among us consumers are the deals of the week, passed on by friend or neighbor. It really has become a hot topic. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Years back I swore I'd never sign up for
by Steven Haninger / March 20, 2012 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Small sizes

any of those shopping loyalty cards or cut out coupons like my wife does. Eventually, I had to cave. So now they can track my purchases and I sheepishly walk up and hand coupons to the self checkout service lady. Who was it that would say. "What a revoltin' development....". Happy

Collapse -
I don't really care....
by Josh K / March 20, 2012 5:12 AM PDT

....if they know what I'm buying. I get discounts for using them and they can be considerable. For example, I've gotten a $7 container of ice cream for under $2.

If the purchase tracking helps them stock the store with more things I like, all the better.

Collapse -
Answer
I just opened SE without my reading glasses on....
by Josh K / March 20, 2012 5:14 AM PDT

.....and read your post as "Better broads cost more."

"Why yes, they do," I thought to myself.

Devil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.