Phones forum

General discussion

Best Word Processor?

by satch000 / March 2, 2009 2:55 PM PST

I am writing a book and want a good word processor that is extremely portable. Net books are too big. I?m going to be going up mountains and I want to be able to record my thoughts anywhere. I?m thinking of getting a smartphone and an older folding keyboard accessory (like the Palm 3245WW Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard). I?m interested in battery life, storage, durability, and screen size. I not as interested in all the gadgets; although a great camera, good browsing speed and voice recorder are some looked for bonuses. Got any thoughts on the best phone for me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Word Processor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Word Processor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by satch000 / March 2, 2009 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: Best Word Processor?

Also my contract is up w/ At&t so I can chose anyone in the US.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / March 2, 2009 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: continues...

...I don't think a smart phone is ideal for real word processing, regardless of the availability of a Windows Mobile powered handset with Office Mobile. I have it on my ATT Tilt (=HTC 8925), and it's no substitute for what I can do w/ even my slowest PC at work or home that has an older version of office. OTOH, YMMV, so I respect your desire to find a device that is suitably 'svelte' for work in the mtns. If you're with ATT I'd still consider the Fuze since you can get a decent upgrade price sometimes. It's a very capable device which can be tweaked to your heart's content.

Are you sure the Acer Aspire One is too big? At some point, I read ATT might even offer it at a subsidized price.

Collapse -
Good thought
by satch000 / March 3, 2009 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Personally...

Thanx For the input and link. I appreciate it. So far the netbooks I?ve looked at are too big and bulky for a serious trek into the hills. So you say that the WP on your phone lags quite a bit? Do you know if the iphone has a WP?

Collapse -
iPhone does not have MS Word AFAIK
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2009 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Good thought

OTOH, I did hear that Documents to Go is being ported to the iPhone. You might visit a more dedicated iPhone forum to see what's available now. Hopefully that keyboard you mentioned is compatible. Howardforums is a great resource too.

The lag is more processor/hardware based than the actual software (office mobile). That's why you need to look into flashing WM based HTC phone from the get go. A simple 9" netbook for $349 would be 1000% better in this regard. I think (but am not 100% certain) there's even a smaller one than that now w/ an Atom processor running XP Home.

Collapse -
Try This one
by Wizarck / June 4, 2009 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Best Word Processor?

Look up Sony Vaio P-Series, thats the one you'll need. =]

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / June 6, 2009 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This one

Not worth it IMHO.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.