Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Best Wireless router available?

by Smoth 007 / December 18, 2005 6:22 PM PST

ok, im about to set up a home WLAN. Which is the best wireless router available? I was thinking Pre-n, maybe Belkin. Anyone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Wireless router available?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Wireless router available?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2005 2:14 AM PST

Try Cisco. They have LEAP which costs dearly and your average hacker would not have a chance since it's not the same as what comes with most routers.

Mind you did write "Best" so I'll note Cisco.

Top notch stuff.

Collapse -
Well maybe not cisco...
by hztech / December 19, 2005 2:25 AM PST

While I agree that Cisco makes some of the best wireless hardware on the market, I believe it would be overkill for a home WLAN. The average home user isn't worried about hackers in a sense where they would require LEAP. Securing any wireless router with WEP should be good enough for the average home user. Linksys is a division of Cisco that makes home networking hardware and their SRX router is probably one of the best home offerings I have found. it offers a great range and compatibility with existing hardware as well is MIMO technology to reduce lag on a multi-computer environment. Remember when you get something like pre-n from belkin you have to get adapters that are compatible as well. Also remember that Internet only goes so fast, while you can transfer from you computer to your router at 108-130 MBpS the internet still only goes to the router at a max of 5-10 MBpS. Depending on the number of computers you have and the type of internet service, you may be able to get by (very well I may add) without the added cost of "cutting edge" wireless protocols. I still use my linksys wireless g router and d-link desktop cards in my setup and it works great.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.