Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

best wireless internet for laptops

by samborambo42 / September 27, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

Hey I'm a newbie at this, but I am interested in finding the best (fastest) wireless internet service provider that I can use on my laptop anywhere I go. I currently am under the verizon wireless plan at 5 gb a month and using their wireless adapter, but it's super slow!! I was wondering if there were any other wireless internet providers out that that provided faster services at pretty much the same setup (verizon has that small usb adapter I can just plug in and get internet anyway)

thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best wireless internet for laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best wireless internet for laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today that is 3G
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 5:50 AM PDT

It's now a standard so get your 3G connect card and hope you are in a 3G zone.

Collapse -
(NT) And don't expect miracles.
by Coryphaeus / September 27, 2008 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Today that is 3G
Collapse -
And have a suitcase of cash.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 10:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Just and Idea
by Branatee / December 3, 2008 3:50 AM PST

Yea the 3G network is standard and as long as you are in a 3G area the connection should be pretty good. But there is a company that I came across called WifiRents, their website is www.WifiRents.com and you can rent the mobile broadband cards (either usb, type II, or express cards) from them by the week or month and you may want to try them out to find out if ATT or the other carriers have a good connection speed in the places you are using it.
Just an idea so that you don't have to sign up for a new 2 year contract before knowing if the connection is good or not.
Check it out. https://www.wifirents.com

Collapse -
Whatever
by doug112959 / January 1, 2010 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Just and Idea

400 dollars a month!!!!!!!!! Are you serious? Not an option.

Collapse -
Beyond 3G
by dartagnanh / October 28, 2009 5:10 PM PDT

As an update, it is worth noting that although 3G is still existing and being used, it is sort of passe nowadays because it has been preceded by newer technology -the HSDPA. One site, http://wirelessinternetforlaptops.org/ made a passing mention of USB devices which are sold by mobile phone service providers.

In our part of the world, this would be this USB device which can cycle through different mobile internet connection types whichever is available...from WIZ Wifi to GPRS to EDGE TO 3G to HSDPA. HSDPA's max speed at the moment is 2Mbps not counting the burst speeds that usually exceeds way beyond 2Mbps.

Collapse -
Wireless Internet Providers
by nineteengates / October 28, 2009 9:27 PM PDT

Verizon Wireless
Verizon is basically the largest wireless provider in the US, reporting the highest revenue and second highest number of subscribers. As of the merger with Alltel Wireless, Verizon has about 85 million subscribers, making them literally the largest wireless provider in the US.

If you can get past the obnoxious TV commercials, their wide network provides for incredible reliability. With the upcoming Alltel merger, they?ll have coverage of rural areas, as well (there are people in rural communities still using dialup, so if they expand their rural coverage, this could be a big plus).

Cingular Wireless
Cingular boasts 72.9 million subscribers, so they?re not quite the powerhouse that Verizon Wireless is (though it is a close race). However, Cingular isn?t plagued by the controversy that?s surrounded Verizon, either. For example, Verizon advertised a number of products as ?GPS Enabled?, only to reveal that they had disabled the GPS trackers so as to later offer a fee-for-service GPS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.