PC Applications forum

General discussion

Best Windows Cleanup tool:

by omerta2177 / November 15, 2005 11:52 PM PST

I have been using Cleanup by Steven Gould and would like to know if this is one of the best ones to use or if there are better more safer ones available. And if Cleanup is the best then what are it's strengths and weeknesses and can I configure it to eliminate most of the weeknesses? Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Windows Cleanup tool:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Windows Cleanup tool:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by omerta2177 / November 16, 2005 10:24 AM PST

I downloaded ccleaner. Hopefully it does as good for me as it has for all the other happy customers.

Collapse -
Registry Cleaner
by sabyasachi_lawyer / November 17, 2005 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: Bump

Try 'Windows Registry Repair SE'. It's a very good registry cleaner, and safe too. U can find the site by searching in Google

Collapse -
by omerta2177 / November 17, 2005 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Registry Cleaner

I already downloaded and am using ccleaner. It has worked well so far but I don't give a thumbs up until I have used it for about a month at least. Thanks for the advice though.

Collapse -
Good choice
by b8375629 / November 20, 2005 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Ccleaner

I've been using CCleaner for about 6 months and it does a good job for me.

In fact, I just cleaned 600mb off of my dad's machine just last week. Yes, 600mb! He had five different user profiles in XP and I had to install it on each one in order to clean all the garbage out that had accumulated over the course of whoever knows...

Collapse -
RE: ccleaner
by dragonbiker / November 21, 2005 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Ccleaner

I have had installed on my newly upgraded PC, and with the execption of it removing my passwords (Which personnlly, I'm happy about), it works perfectly, and I'm the type who seems to "Remove" WAAAYYY too many important files to keep the system up and running....

Collapse -
cleaning the pc.
by dutchmartin / November 17, 2005 6:10 PM PST

I am using the programm called: HITMAN pro..free to download from the Net.
Easy to use,it's a combination of viruskiller,spamfilter,registry clean-up and it runs automaticly from one programm to another.
Total cleaning time for the first time..about one hour.
I use this programm for over a year..and the pc looks ****&span !!

Collapse -
Sounds cool
by omerta2177 / November 17, 2005 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: cleaning the pc.

This all in one hitman tool sounds cool and my question would be is it like norton security where it eliminates spam, kills spyware, scans for viruses, etc..... It sounds like it is worth looking into for sure.

Collapse -
by prasadp77 / November 17, 2005 7:08 PM PST

Although Dutchmartin suggested this all in one tool, I use freeware called as Sweepi, It will not clean registry or trojan or virus but it would clean temp internet files, cache files, 10 mins approx run time and you will have to reboot machine to get rid of deleted stuff. (downside to say)

Collapse -
by alanzimmerman / November 18, 2005 1:42 AM PST

Do any of these function as uninstallers, get rid of duplicate, orphans, dead links, and unused programs? If not what will?

Alan Zimmerman

Collapse -
Hitman English Installation
by skycatcher / November 18, 2005 2:09 AM PST

You may wish to read this BEFORE installing Hitman pro... http://xthost.info/hitmanual/
It actually installs a load of programs and just 'shells' them so make sure you've got a lot of spare disk space.

Very few people mention Winpatrol. It is brilliant at telling you what is still running on your PC and, if anything tries to add itself to your startup, it ask you before allowing it. It also warns of changes to startup files and .ini files and loads more. There is a free version at http://www.winpatrol.com

Collapse -
Winpatrol, Easy Cleaner, Where's James and Windows Regclean
by grichardth / November 18, 2005 2:19 PM PST

I use Windows RegClean & Easy Cleaner to remove unnecessay registry entries and files. Where's James and Winpatrol are great for controlling start up files and Winpatrol monitors any changes to start up programs and lets you deny unwanted changes

Collapse -
Easy Cleaner
by prescotthenry / November 18, 2005 10:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Newer Version Easy Cleaner here...
by glenn30 / November 19, 2005 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Easy Cleaner
Collapse -
Ashampoo WinOpt to clean and Tweek "D all the above"
by donfwhite / November 19, 2005 10:46 PM PST

Simple,.. Full Featured,.. Not alot of thinking involved. This nice utility can be schedule all the Tweeks, Clean Ups and DEFRAG in one software. Similar to Norton but not the Hog. Not real cheep but Easy, Easy,...Easy. Slow to run the Full Features but schedule it! Advanced Geeks; you will like it better because you don't need multiable software peices and save time. Beats spending all of your time running all the XP built-in's or the secondary software. A Norton beater for sure,... with no overhead. Found it here on CNET.
Fully working 30 day trial.http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=1306

Collapse -
Best clean up tools ...
by vince7 / November 20, 2005 9:44 AM PST

System Mechanic version 5. Nuff said.

Collapse -
(NT) System Mechaniic 6 pro trail version and Norton System
by billli726 / January 1, 2006 7:14 AM PST

both software are good, system emchanic have more features but it donot do they as well as notron. norton systemworks have few important tool not as many as SM 6.
try the system mechinic 6 pro.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.