Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Best way to save TIVO shows to DVD?

by wahnula / February 13, 2005 10:20 PM PST

Hello, I have several football games I would like to get off TIVO and onto DVD. I have captured the shows as .mpg at 720x480 using both my ATI capture software and Nerovision 3 software. Nero made a 9.9GB file, ATI made a 10.2GB file, both .mpg files.

When I try to burn to disc, Nero enters a six-hour process that produces an inferior quality DVD or an error message. FYI, I did capture successfully a 90-minute show direct-to-disc using Nerovision, but these games are 3-hours-plus, I'd like to get them on a single disc is possible, DL is an option.

I also tried to covert the Mpeg using VSO's DIVX-to-DVD program and DVD shrink and wasted an $8 DVD+R double-layer disc due to the cruddy quality.

I also tried to edit out the commercials using Nerovision, shortening the file to 2 hours and 28 minutes, but achieve the same overall results.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to want to do this, and I am frustrated because I consider myself a PC geek and run our office network, build PC's etc.

My system is an Asus P4S8x, SIS648, P4 2.53, ATI 8500-DV All-in-Wonder, 1GB Corsair RAM, 250 GB SATA HDD, Sony DRU-720 DL burner.

I own Nero 6.6, Roxio EMC7, DVDShrink, Veritas RecordNow, ATI's bundled Multimedia center, and several others not installed. Any help will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to save TIVO shows to DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to save TIVO shows to DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Burning DVDs from Tivo
by gerrys8 / February 17, 2005 8:03 PM PST

My best advise would be to forget using the computer and go directly from Tivo to a cheap DVD burner. I picked one up at Walmart for $150 that does a fine job, even burning in 2,4 or 6 hour mode. When my DVR starts to fill up, I burn movies to the DVD using DVD-RW disks and they even will play on my computer.

Collapse -
Tivo to Go
by clem2270 / February 18, 2005 1:00 AM PST

Hi tony;

I'm surprised that you have not heard of the new software upgrade that Tivo is "pushing" out to their subscribers. The new software version is 7.xx; part of this upgrade is to give the subscriber the ability to upload their saved shows, to their computers and then burn the show to DVD. This assumes that 1) you own a Series 2 tivo unit; 2) your Tivo unit is networked with your computer and 3) your computer must be running the latest Tivo desktop software (which also adds the option of Tivo Home media). Home media, using the Tivo desktop software creates a Tivo "media server" on your computer, where you can share out pictures and music to your Tivo unit.
Here is a link to a respective forum site, that should be able to give you more information.

Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by wahnula / February 19, 2005 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: Tivo to Go

This option is not available for us DirecTV folks. Don't know why, and the rep couldn't tell me either. I guess I'm looking for a software solution. Thanks for the link to the Tivo forum.

Collapse -
dubbing with Facet
by tiggerw / February 18, 2005 8:29 PM PST

I am 80 years old my friend, and I posses a Philips stand alone dvd burner. I can copy from TV,Tivo,or vhs,whatever. Firstly I do not make copies for anyone. I have a library of my own, and that is where they stay. It isn't illegal to copy anything FOR YOUR SELF. I copied my VHS mocies over to DVD, and I gave all my VHS to the senior citizens club here in my town...over 500 as a matter of fact. Feel free to contact me, if you need further info

Collapse -
VHS tapes
by tunicariverrat / February 21, 2005 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: dubbing with Facet

Mr. Scotty,
I also have over 200 movies that I would like to transfer to DVD. I was talking to another guy who wanted to build me a system for over $3000.00 to do this.
You say you are 80, well I am 64 and not near that stupid. I knew there had to be a simpler and cheaper way.
I have the Tivo, VHS player/recorder, Computer {Dell 4700} With DVD burner. I also have several stand alone DVD player/burners.
Could you possibly start me in the right direction to accomplish this?
Anything you could do will be greatly appreciated.
You can contact me by email if you wish.

Collapse -
VHS tapes
by jcrobso / April 6, 2005 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: VHS tapes
Collapse -
burning from tivo
by coreyman5491 / April 28, 2008 5:59 AM PDT

hey, my tivo is almost full and i need to make room but i dont want to delete my shows so i need to burn them to a dvd. i do not want to buy a dvd burner right now, so is there an easy way to do it without buying a dvd burner?

Collapse -
Depending on your computer...
by John.Wilkinson / April 29, 2008 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: burning from tivo

You could try S-Video out to your computer's graphics card, and then use a basic recording application to save it on your computer. Likewise for Component, Composite, etc. From there save it to your computer's hard drive or use your computer's DVD burner.

Collapse -
easiest way to copy movies from a tivo
by dove333 / May 8, 2009 4:36 AM PDT

my tivo is getting filled and I would like to save some of the movies and other shows to a DVD-R. Can you tell me how to get started using a DVD burner directly from the tivo.

Collapse -
What I have been using for 2 years
by ljl311-20457533319296721993222654729749 / February 21, 2005 1:55 AM PST

After multiple trials & errors, I settled on 1 simple capture package and a different dvd writer package.

Pinnacle Studio Moviebox comes in USB & DV (Firewire) formats. Each has an external video capture box that connects to the RCA video/audio jacks of your "source" and can convert the video signal to DV (video camera format) or MPEG of various compressions. I have a slow cpu (1.3 Ghz) & can only convert to DV, but your PC's specs mean you can record directly at, say 4000 Kbps, & have 4 hrs. per dvd. The Pinnacle Studio software gives a great preview & editing system; and you can see what is happening as you capture.

I have to use 2 steps: record to high-quality DV in real time to edit & then convert the edited video to mpeg (this process takes 4 minutes for every 1 of video with my 1.3G cpu). If your PC is fast enough to pre-convert from the breakout box, you can eliminate the 2nd conversion.

The 2nd software I use is Ulead's MovieFactory. It is very easy to use & has never given me an error message, where Nero always has. The menu making & disc burning process usually takes 20-30 minutes for assembled mpeg files. If DV file need to be coverted, the time expands by about 4 to 1.

What I do is capture the video to DV via the breakout box in 10 - 15 min. chunks (commercial to commercial), edit to taste, & save/convert the edited material to mpeg. Then I open the Ulead MovieFactory (I use ver. 2, but ver. 3 is available now), create a disc file & select all of the mpegs that I want on the dvd in the order I want them. The MovieFactory keeps very good track of the disc capacity. When I fill the disc, I burn it. Just that simple. If the burn specs for mpeg match the saved files specs, no further conversion happens & no video quality is lost. I set both the video & audio in both packages to exactly the same and the MovieFactory simply assembles & burns the video clips to dvd.

All this comes after trying 4 different breakout boxes to capture the video and Pinnacle Studio, Edition, Liquid Edition, Ulead Video Studio, Roxio, & Nero as my capture/recording software.

The Pinnacle software will also burn to dvd, but I prefer the MovieFactory's greater flexibility. I paid $180. plus tax for my Studio DV Firewire & have never regretted a cent of it. It has captured & edited over 50 dvd's & gives me lots of control over the editing process. The Ulead MovieFactory runs about $50.

If you want any further specs or info, feel free to email me.

Collapse -
Great answer, thanks, followup question...
by wahnula / February 23, 2005 10:11 AM PST

Nice to hear someone else feels my pain! I appreciate all the suggestions, I have tried Ulead MF3 and plan to buy it. Do you think the Pinnacle breakout box would really capture better than the breakout box that came with the All-in-Wonder, if I used the Pinnacle software?

I used the SVHS and composite audio inputs of said breakout box and the ATI software to capture, and finally got my mpeg converted by MF3 and burned with DVDShrink onto a standard DVD, the MF3 burner didn't seem to recognize the dual-layer media. Results were acceptable, but inferior to the original Tivo recording. I'm just wondering how much better the Pinnacle breakout box could be than the ATI.

Again thanks for the excellent answer.

Collapse -
A few seat-of-the-pants opinions

I have tried 4 different breakout boxes, one of them was actually a Pinnacle Liquid Edition internal/external hybrid on a different PC. Some put a lot of workload on the cpu, & one Ulead USB 1.1 box did 99% of the work itself. That last box, however, got hot, produced mediocre video, had only 1 setting, & was prone to break.

The Pinnacle Moviebox has none of those problems. Because my cpu is too slow, I am forced to capture in DV format to avi files & perform the mpeg conversion after editing. I have captured in units up to 45 minutes long & done the mpeg conversion at either 4000 Kbps (which gives 4 hours per dvd) or 6000 Kbps (which gives 2 hrs/dvd). The video quality at these compressions is good enough to be viewed on a 42 in plasma screen with no artifacts showing.

The Pinnacle Studio 8 (now 9) will compile & burn dvd's. But it does not have the versatility & ease of use that the MovieFactory software has. MovieFactory can assemble & burn 4+ hrs. of clips that are already in the correct mpeg conpression/format in under 1/2 hour.

I use an external firewire Sony 4-format single layer burner on either dvd-r or dvd+r media with equally good results that are playable on a 2-yr-old Toshiba dvd player. The main difference is in the recording speed (+r goes up to 4x while -r is mostly 2.4x).

The biggest capture problem I have is that I screw up the audio/video sync if I quick play forward or backward while the box is connected to the vcr. A correctly edited tape that just plays forward can be captured in real time with no problems.

A note of warning -- the dvd's video quality can never exceed that of the source tape. If the tape was recorded in EP mode the digital video will stink. If you try to compress it to get more than 2 hrs. on a dvd, you will reduce video quality to way below what is already bad vcr quality. I solved the problem by getting a Panasonic DVR with an 80 gig hard drive. It captures exquisite digital quality & transfers beautifully to the PC. It also allows me some pre-editing that saves much time & effort later. I opted for this over Tivo because of its versatility (and I don't have to add any subscription to my DirectTv service). I set timer recording on both my Directv box & the DVR to capture my show.

Yes, the breakout boxes I tried had differing video & audio quality. The box I settled on was firewire, with a firewire external Seagate HDD as my capture media. I always record on the DVR in highest quality possible & only reduce the quality once, in the conversion to mpeg process.

You could try the Pinnacle software with the ATI box you already own. The bundled software that comes with these things is usually a watered-down version & may not capture as well as the full version. You could also try changing the capture settings to increase the capture quality. You could make certain that the original recording quality is the highest possible, since the copy process through analog connections will degrade quality.

Pinnacle's top-of-the-line capture card is a specially modified ATI card, so your card should be OK. The Pinnacle Studio software should recognize it & may possibly offer multiple capture options, as it does for my breakout box. Try capturing in DV mode, if your software allows, & let the cpu convert afterward. It may give a better quality than the ATI's conversion/capture hardware can.

The Pinnacle Studio did the best quality conversion to mpeg. The MovieFactory will actually just copy those mpegs & burn them with no loss in quality if the mpeg file quality settings are the same on both softwares. The Ulead Video Studio's quality disappointed me, as did MovieFactory's conversion. So far, only Adobe & Pinnacle Studio gave me satisfactory video. The Adobe split the video & audio into different files, which gave other problems; and the Pinnacle Liquid Edition was simply too expensive & complex for my purposes.

The only thing I can't help you with is the dual layer burner. I would not go that way yet because the technology is still too immature & costly (for mistakes). The recognition problems you are facing are just some of the reasons I would have held back a little longer.

Collapse -
Excellent information, Thanks very much
by wahnula / February 24, 2005 11:39 AM PST

I appreciate your taking the time to help.

Collapse -
I'm giving it a try...
by wahnula / February 24, 2005 12:45 PM PST

Just bought Pinnacle 9 SE (eBay, $15 w/shippping) and Ulead Moviefactory 3 (, $34.95 delivered) and will post the results. I really like the interface of the MF3 and it WAS the most successful mpeg to video_ts converter I tried (Trial version, duh). Couldn't burn a DVD with it though because the file was too big, do you know if it offers a DVDshrink-style compressor?

Do I really need to convert my mpegs to video_ts to burn DVDs? That process takes HOURS and I'm wondering if I'm just making a newb mistake.

Collapse -
Mpeg conversion
by ljl311-20457533319296721993222654729749 / February 26, 2005 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: I'm giving it a try...

Well, dvd players can only understand the _ts file format; but here's the catch -- the _ts format is actually mpeg-2 by another name. So, once you convert a file to the mpeg format, with the appropriate compression for the amount of time/video quality that you want to burn to dvd, the dvd conversion process is simply a file copy/merge/rename one.

That is why I use Pinnacle Studio to do the initial conversion to mpeg & Ulead MovieFactory to do the burn. Moviefactory is savvy enough to just copy & append the smaller mpeg files I make into video_ts files & then quickly burn them. I have done a complete dvd in 29 minutes using 4000 Kbps compression (= 2 hours of video per dvd) Normal Hollywood commercial dvd's use about the same compression on 2 layer discs (4 hrs/disc). You can drop to about 2500 to get 4 hours per disc, with a corresponding loss of quality.

The basic law of PC video conversion (cpu-based) is 4 to 1. That means 4 minutes of processing time to render 1 minute of mpeg video. Now, if you go from mpeg to mpeg, that is a waste. If you go from high quality DV or avi to mpeg, that is a necessity. Using a high-capacity hyper-threaded cpu will help a little, but is mostly useful if you edit video & add special effects, etc. The cpu can then handle the multiple "layers" of video more quickly; but the dv to mpeg conversion is still a slow deal.

Only dedicated conversion hardware can convert on-the-fly in real time. This kind of hardware is readily available in dvr/dvd combo recorders. These are dvd recorders with hard drive storage & limited editing capabilities. I actually opted for one of these instead of TiVo to use with my Directv box. With it, I can record at a preselected compression to edit & then transfer to dvd internally. These units are very limited in the types of disc format they will accept. Basically it is just dvd-r, with maybe a dvd-rw or dvd-ram 2nd option.

If you want to use a PC, however, it will take 16 hours processing time to cram 4 hours of recording on 1 dvd.

I cope with the process by dividing my video into 10 minute chunks, at convenient break points. I can easily wait 40 minutes to process each chunk individually & then assemble them with MovieFactory. My MovieFactory is set to render mpeg to slightly higher quality than I have already rendered using Studio (4500 vs. 4000). Therefore, since it cannot compress upward, it accepts the already rendered mpeg files & just assembles them into video_ts on my hard drive, which takes less than 15 minutes for 4+ Gb, and burns the dvd at 2.4 to 4x, depending on disc type, in my Sony 4-way burner (dvd+-r/rw, external firewire).

The +r discs burn a little faster than the -r. The MovieFactory disc capacity bar gives very good estimates of remaining space & warns me when I cut the fill point too close. Using this method, I practically never have a burn failure or error message. I also have multiple hard drives in my system, both internal & external. I use one as my source & a different one as my temp work space. This is very important in reducing the time needed to render the video from avi to mpeg to video_ts.

Doing it all on a single drive means that one drive controller is both reading & writing at the same time. Transferring the files from drive to drive means that one controller is reading while the other is writing. Since it is impossible for 1 controller to be in 2 places on a drive disk at once to perform the read operation & the write operation together, I save considerable time using 2 disks. My system even has a scsi controller card and a scsi 160 hard drive, which is really fast for internal disk transfers.

It is also very inportant to defrag the drive that will be capturing & processing the video just before every operation. Maximizing free space allows the drive to work at its highest possible speed. Also, never fill the drive to more than 50% capacity to give it working space.

I would have recommended the full version of Pinnacle Studio over the SE edition. You really don't know what was cut out of the software to make the "lite" version and the SE may have been written to support only certain types of hardware.

The full versions of both MovieFactory & Pinnacle Studio offer pre-defined profiles of mpeg video file types. I take the high quality dvd file type and modify the video compression to 4000 Kbps, or 4 Mbits, to create a custom file type. I then capture in dv format, which creates avi files at something like 1 Meg per minute of video. After I edit my video, which is basically to trim the leader & trailer off & cut out commercials, I have Studio make an mpeg file to my specs.

When I create a disc with MovieFactory, I set the same mpeg compression specs, that I used for Pinnacle Studio, in a custom file type. Then I import the Studio-created mpegs directly, watch the disc filler bar at the bottom of the screen until I reach a maximum of 4.1 Gigs, and page through to the last screen where it finally creates a disc. I have played with creating just the file structure on my hard drive, to burn later with Nero, and with creating an iso image, to do the same. But my favorite way is to just let the MovieFactory do the burn itself. The disc image & file folder techniques were mainly used when I was close to overloading the dvd disc's capacity & wanted to see if the final product would fit on the disc before actually trying a burn (cuts down on failures).

Trying to "shrink" a video to force it to fit on a dvd is going to destroy the video quality, because the shrink process is just recompressing the file to a lower bitstream count. Uncompressed video is 10 Mbit/second. 2 hour dvd quality is 4-5 Mbits and 4 hour dvd quality is 2-3 Mbits. At the 4 hour quality, you can already see quite a bit of loss in video quality. Stuffing 6 or more hours of video on a disc will produce unsatisfactory video with pixelation, digital color flattening, & loss of clarity. If you can find a way to split the video into 4 hours maximum time per disc, you will be pleased with the results. Any more than that will be disappointing. Remember, discs take less space than tapes. So it won't hurt to replace 1 6-hr tape with 3 2-hr discs.

Perhaps as disc capacity improves & the technology matures to higher capacity home burners, you may be able to hold more on a disc. For now, we have to respect the limitations of what is available.

Collapse -
So my understanding is...
by wahnula / February 26, 2005 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: Mpeg conversion

Basically you are saying that if I capture in the correct format via Pinnacle Studio I will avoid the 4-1 time factor? That would be excellent. I have a 16x burner and use Verbatim 16x media (about $.40 ea), burning a file is the fun part!

According to Pinnacle?s website and my personal research, the only difference between SE & full is in the bells & whistles, animated menus etc., and all we?re using here is the Studio capture software, correct? We will be doing all editing and burning with Move Factory, correct? I definitely do not need another burning app! SE?s capture has the exact same functionality, I did check that out.

Brilliant suggestion about the second drive, it?s a real forehead-smacker. Capture and Pinnacle software on first drive, conversion destination folder second drive, I presume.
I have a 250 GB SATA main drive and an 80 GB for backup.

I understand what you?re saying about compression deteriorating quality, but DVDshrink?s engine somehow manages to get an indistinguishable image (from the original DVD) on my 42? plasma widescreen at 480i. It doesn?t seem to make sense but it?s true, for most normal-length films, it?s a remarkable video compressor. It?s free, try it & see. It burns with Nero?s engine, you can use any burning app but then it?s a two-step process. I?d use this in a second if my project was up to 25% bigger than DVD-5.

How would the quality you describe compare with a set-top DVD-recorder box? I?m just curious, the geek in me prohibits the use of one. Thanks again for your information an help.

Collapse -
You're close but...
by ljl311-20457533319296721993222654729749 / February 27, 2005 5:49 AM PST

What I'm trying to say (but not very well) is that it May Be possible to capture in the correct mpeg formt, but don't bet on it. Mpeg capture hardware usually has a fixed capture compression; and that compression most likely is not satisfactory for your particular needs. Converting to the correct compression is a 4-1 realtime process that must be done in your pc. Capturing in an mpeg format that your burning software doesn't like still involves that 4-1 process.

My solution, which works for me, is to capture in high quality (because my breakout box requires cpu "help" that my 1.3 GHz cpu cannot provide, the minimum speed is 1.7 GHz). I have tried a breakout box that does all the conversion work itself; but the video results were unsatisfactory.

I capture in small increments, 10-15 minutes, 20 minutes tops. I edit & then render each segment into dvd 2-4 hr/disc compression using Pinnacle Studio. This is the 4 to 1 time waster. Using MovieFactory to later assemble the pieces & burn them avoids a repeat rendering if, & only if, I set the mpeg compression & audio specs to be the same as in the Pinnacle software.

I avoid burning with Pinnacle mainly because the MovieFactory seems to be faster (sic) AND MovieFactory has an excellent disc capacity gauge. This last has saved me a lot of time & wasted discs due to bad burns.

I edit with Pinnacle because it is easier than most other packages to scan, cut, layout, & add transitions. It is also very "interactive" about the conversion process. It actually displays each key frame that it renders in realtime as the process takes place. So you can see the video as it is being saved (without sound being played back, but that is being rendered, too). The resulting mpeg files are ready for dvd. They are playable on the computer & only need a file format conversion to the file names that a dvd player can accept. Remember that I said mpeg-2 & video_ts are actually the same file format with 2 different names? MovieFactory simply copies the rendered (from Pinnacle) mpg files to a temp area on your hard drive, merges multiple files together into 1 GB _ts files, & creates the menu, index, & intro files that meet the dvd player spec.

Once I use Pinnacle to edit & render my video, the time-intensive work is done. MovieFactory just assembles the imported videos into dvd-friendly chunks, gives it dvd-friendly names, & burns the whole thing to disc. It can convert & burn 4.2 GB of video (a full disc) in under 30 minutes. The file translation takes about 10 minutes & the burn about 20. Faster discs & burners can go quicker than older, slower ones. All the time-consuming work was already done by Pinnacle.

However, using this method, I can spend 2 hrs. per night rendering, and still be able to use my PC for limited other work (rendering likes to take 100% cpu capacity), and have everything pre-formatted for a simple collect, copy, & burn that takes 1/2 hour when I am ready. Try multi-tasking during an all-at-once edit/burn & you could lose everything! I can also erase the original, high quality, space-gobbling unedited video after I have created & viewed the rendered mpeg files.

To sum: I capture, edit & render with Pinnacle (the 4-1 process). I create the menu & burn with MovieFactory (about 1/2 hour). Pinnacle seems to take much longer to create & burn a dvd than MovieFactory and I don't like the menu layout options as much.

As for the dedicated set-top dvr/dvd recorder, I can record up to 4 hours per dvd with acceptable video quality on a 42" plasma screen. It takes 2 hours max dvd size to equal Hollywood commercial dvd video (actually, this quality equals Superbit dvd quality). Commercial dvd's are recorded at 4-5 Mbit/second. 5-6 Mbit/sec is the 2 hr per disc compression. 8-10 Mbits give 1 hr per disc. 3-4 Mbits will permit as much as 4 hours per disc.

I generally use the set top unit to record 2 hour or 4 hour discs, no longer than that. The nice thing is that I can record to the unit's hard drive in the compression that I want to burn my disc at (SP for 2 hours, & LP for 4 hours). I can then edit the video right on the unit's hard drive and dub to dvd at high speed, which just copies the edited video file directly, with no further conversion. The high speed dub takes maybe 30 minutes per dvd & the finishing process, which makes it viewable on virtually any dvd player, takes another 3 minutes. The video compression is done real-time right in the recorder.

I have a Panasonic DMR-E85H with a 120 GB hard drive & up to 32x dvd recording. I record some shows using the unit's hard drive & dvd, & export some others to my PC for recording there. The stuff I export is usually short clips from multiple shows that I want to add fades, etc. to. The dvr doesn't do fancy editing, just scene cuts & order rearrangements. I like it because the video quality is as good as the best TiVo quality & recording is quick & easy. The price is high, about $600. For my purposes, which include transferring tapes to digital & saving some TV shows, sans commercials, it is the perfect solution. I can do 2 or even 3 dvd's a night, once the hard drive originals are edited.

For example, you can record an entire football game to the unit's hard drive at the LP compression (which fits 4 hours on a dvd), spend 1/2 to 3/4 hour finding & editing out the commercials (with exact frame precision), & probably fit it all on a single dvd.

You can dub to dvd at high speed, which is probably under an hour, and finish the disc to make it playable on regular set top players. DVD-R discs have been on sale for as little as 40 cents each, recently. So, an entire football game takes 1/2 hour of work to prep & another hour to burn & finalize. You don't have to lose use of your pc while the thing is rendering & you can go away, or do something else while the set top unit is recording or dubbing or finalizing.

The best part, for me, is not having to pay extra for the TiVo service. I just recorded the entire Spider-man cartoon series from 1997 to 6 dvds over a period of a few weeks, with every episode in sequence -- all in the set top unit. Since the eps still have not all been released commercially, & those that have are out of sequence, I have a unique personal collection. Once I subtract the potential cost of ownership from buying all of the commercial releases, & the value to me of my labor just finding the darn things, I have almost paid for the Panasonic unit just on those recordings, alone. And I can discard all of the video tapes that I had of the series, saving storage space, too.

Don't ask, the recordings are finalized & therefore not copyable. They are for my private collection, only.

The PC is used mostly for home video clips, & partial clips captured from the airwaves that need storage & assembly, along with some editing transitions to make the playback smoother. This is mainly because I, like you, hate the huge delays PCs need in order to render & burn video in dvd format.

Collapse -
another video editing program to try
by perlstar / March 1, 2005 3:50 PM PST
In reply to: You're close but...

Thanks for the very educational and entertaining thread of information. I have a couple of comments.

First, the idea of recording a football game to a dvd, cutting out the commercials, boggles my mind. You would have to be a serious sports wacko to go to that trouble!

You say that there are things you can't do because you have a slower computer, yet you have a $600 DVR. Spend a couple of bucks and get a new PC! Happy

I have not yet used it myself, but I have had recommended to me a video editor that supposedly does as little un-compression / re-compression as possible, in order to maintain quality. If you have had experience with this, any comments would be welcome. There is a free trial available.

Collapse -
Good idea, but...

My PC was less than 1 year old when I started video editing. At the time 3 GHz processors weren't available, & when they finally came out, the cost of that much power was prohibitive.

The cost of a computer with enough oomph to capture, edit, render, & then burn video in 1-2 hour chunks (as in a recorded TV show) is about $3000 (remember, it will need extras to cope with video capture & editing). You can get a cheaper one if you work only in short video clips that get assembled only at the very end for dvd mastering/burning. If the only work to be done is record, trim the unwanted parts, & burn a dvd, then the $600 DVR is the best solution at a fraction of the price.

Besides, it takes hours to capture & render video to dvd format. The DVR records in real time, can be set to the desired final disc capacity & then transferred in a high speed file copy operation.

So, for cost, the DVR is cheaper; and for time, the DVR takes much less. I use both, but reserve the short clips & home video for editing & adding fancy effects, etc., using a computer. For fast & simple copy/burn operations of professionally edited video (read movies & TV shows) the DVR is almost unbeatable.

I haven't tried Video ReDo, but then there are a lot of editors out there that I haven't tried. I have used Roxio, Nero, Ulead Video Studio, Ulead MovieFactory (not an editor, just a layout tool & burner), Pinnacle Studio, Pinnacle Liquid Edition, & Adobe Premiere. Of all editors, Pinnacle Studio was the most intuitively easy & Liquid Edition probably the most powerful (even over Adobe Premiere). A lot has to do with how pleased you finally are with the results.

The Pinnacle Studio does very little reprocessing. It only renders the video when you finally elect to save it in some format. It will save uncompressed video (avi), compressed (mpeg), or burn direct to dvd. So any reasonable package will be able to allow editing without reprocessing the original file, especially the dedicated video editors (as opposed to burning software add-ons).

If you have any video to edit, it might be worth your while to try downloading a demo & working on a copy of a short clip, just to see how it suits you.

If you like the results you get, post them.

Collapse -
panasonic DMR-E85H
by Guy Barnes / April 4, 2005 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: You're close but...

I would like to talk with the person who posted this reveiw, my e-mail adress is, Ineed some info.

Collapse -
large dvr files
by glennlee / February 21, 2005 2:55 AM PST

A word of advice. If you have dvr files in the 10g range, forget about getting it all onto one dvd in a decent resolution. The standard dvd will take about 4.7g of data at a maximum. Your best bet is to use one of the video editing packages to split the file in two and render it to two separate dvd's. Yes I know, the new double layer dvd burners have double the capacity of burn on the proper media. But the software support for this advanced feature is spotty. And consider the economics: a single layer dvd goes for about 39 cents. A double layer dvd blank goes for 7 to 8 dollars. Be prepared for more $8 coasters by pushing the technology envelope.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reality check...
by wahnula / February 23, 2005 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: large dvr files

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I finally did get one game on a 4.7 DVD, by editing the commercials out and burning with DVDshrink, and the quality was acceptable, but not as good as I would like. Splitting it in two (first half, second half, duh!)would have been smarter and probably better quality to boot.

And yes, I have found the support for DVD-DL is weak. It's hard to resist using it, though, especially when you've got a new toy and want to play with it! Sometimes, one gets wrapped up in the technology and loses track of common sense. Thanks again.

Collapse -
I am 80 years old.
by tiggerw / February 27, 2005 9:39 AM PST

I have never been able to record anythiong with this PC. I finally gave up trying. Nero is too complicated for me, so With Nwero in Germany, they are no help to me what-so-ever,I puirchased a Philips DVD Recorder, and now I copy from TV, VHS....Whatever. I have just completed changing 500 VHS movies that I have collected over the years, the quality is great, and I can choose how long to record from 1 hour up to 6........I hope this helps

Collapse -
best ways to record DVD off TIVO
by tiggerw / March 1, 2005 10:31 PM PST

I uise my standalone DVD recorder. I punch one button and it records whatever is coming down the line

Collapse -
stand alone dvd recorders
by glennlee / March 2, 2005 4:07 AM PST

Yes but you are doomed to have all those nasty commercials forever intruding on that favorite movie of yours. Editing with the computer before commiting to dvd has its advantages.

Collapse -
best ways to record DVD off TIVO
by tiggerw / March 1, 2005 10:32 PM PST

I uise my standalone DVD recorder. I punch one button and it records whatever is coming down the line

Collapse -
the cheappest way : burn tivo show to DVD
by 423youin / June 7, 2010 3:37 PM PDT

Download Pavtube Video Converter. Convert your tivo files to SD video.Then burn to DVD via DVDFlick.
Click the Format bar and move to Common Video and then select a format from drop-down list. Click Settings button and set output size, bitrate and frame rate. Smaller bitrate value leads to a smaller output SD file, which occupies less space.

Pavtube video converter(35USD):
DVDFlick supported format:

PS: if you update to win7,Windows DVD Maker is not a bad choice.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.