Computer Newbies

General discussion

Best way to mirror a hard drive

by butterfingarz / January 3, 2009 1:12 PM PST

Hello I am not sure if I'am using the correct terminology here so please correct me. I am looking to completely mirror or image or ghost I don't know which one is the correct word but do that to my 40G HD onto a 320G external hard drive. I already have an external hard drive and I'm not looking to replace my internal HD I just want to make sure in the even my internal HD crashes I can take my entire backup on my external and put in on a new internal HD if anything should happen. Is this possible to save all the drivers, everything even as silly as bookmarks and screen savers to an external drive? What programs if any would you suggest?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to mirror a hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to mirror a hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lots of options....I'd start by doing some reading in
by VAPCMD / January 3, 2009 2:55 PM PST

the STORAGE FORUM. Then you'll know what the options are and perhaps how you want to go about it.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
A mirror also copies the flaws.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2009 12:48 AM PST

I've only been at this for a few decades and so far a mirror has saved less than a handful of people. The reason is simple.

A mirror does exactly what you were told it does. So when you delete that last copy of the file then its gone from the mirror too. Same issue with virus and other drive corruption. Instead of one corrupt drive you get two.

-> Try this again but state what the goals are. That will help in determining what solution you really wanted.
Bob

Collapse -
My Dell with 2 HD's crashed, everything gone.
by Ottoschut / September 28, 2012 11:54 PM PDT

My Dell with 2 HD's crashed, everything gone. Now i want to reset the PC for use with 1 HD. Of course with an external Backup. Does anyone know how to do this?
Otto

Collapse -
Re: 2 HD's
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 29, 2012 12:47 AM PDT

That depends on how these 2 HD's are configured. Tell more.

Kees

Collapse -
XP backup not readable by win 7
by Ottoschut / September 29, 2012 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 2 HD's

Kees, It came wiith the Dell dimension 9200. 2 HD's (samsung SP2504C) in mirror. I don't know how to look that up.I have a new PC now, and want to use my old Dell with a single HD in the first place to be able to read my backup (lucky enough i also made that, but here's my second problem:) because Win 7 on my new PC doesn't read my .bkf files made in XP. Even after installing NT backup, or usung Windows easy transfer.
Been buzy with this for weeks already.
Have you got any tips?
gr Otto

Collapse -
Let's be honest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2012 5:10 AM PDT

There are many fine solutions to restoring BKF files. What I do encounter are folk unwilling to pay for the app.

In the future why use a PROPRIETARY BACKUP system? That is, for over a decade I use a simple file sync app and there is no issue about accessing the old files as they are just like the originals.
Bob

Collapse -
good app?
by Ottoschut / September 29, 2012 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's be honest.

I thought that it would be unthinkable that microsoft doesn't support that. So, Bob what is a good (payable) app for letting Win 7 read .bkf files made in XP? There's so many offered that I am afraid trying things that don't work at all.
Thanks,
Otto

Collapse -
I didn't offer such thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: good app?
Collapse -
Ghosting and such
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2009 5:55 AM PST

It's easy enough just to periodically make compressed images of your hard drive and restore them in the event of mistakes or disasters. You don't need to mirror the drive and then swap the two in case of a calamity. What I do is make the image on a larger drive on my system and then copy that image to an external drive as well. I will do this at a selected interval or just before making a significant change to the system or installing a fresh but untried piece of software. It takes me less than 10 minutes to make the image and even less if I need to restore it. That might be less time that it might take to swap out another drive. I will keep several of these aside and just delete the oldest if they start taking up too much drive space.

Collapse -
"Ditto" for compressed images on 2nd internal HDDs with
by VAPCMD / January 4, 2009 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Ghosting and such

copies to an external HDD.

Been doing that since the early days of Drive Image and then Ghost.

Happy New Year

VAPCMD

Collapse -
only one internal 2.5 HDD
by butterfingarz / January 4, 2009 12:31 PM PST

What I'm looking to do it possibly install a different OS on my computer I have seen it done on my exact computer and my bro just did his computer give that it is completely different hardware. My HDD is only 40G so I dont want to partition it so I just want to backup everything so that when I possibly reformat my HDD or wipe it clean to install a new OS that if it does not go well I can just put my data from my external HDD back onto my internal and have everything back to square one before I did anything to my computer.

Collapse -
Why not just get another 2.5" HDD and use that to experiment
by VAPCMD / January 4, 2009 2:14 PM PST

with ?

In any event, you should have your current system ...especially your data on something other than that 2.5" internal HDD.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I dont have much backed up
by butterfingarz / January 5, 2009 2:33 AM PST

The only things import are my music library which you could say is backed up on my ipod and key important doc which are on a flash drive which I know is not really reliable since its FAT32.

Collapse -
Why not save/burn the files you want to keep
by VAPCMD / September 29, 2012 2:02 AM PDT

to a DVD or DVDs ?

You just can't mirror or image a drive without a target drive with disk space to put it on.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.