TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

best way to hook up a subwoofer?

by sjps220 / October 28, 2005 5:16 AM PDT

I'm fairly new to the home theatre game and I'm quite confused about subwoofer connection. Do I need a specific subwoofer cable or will a normal RCA do? I've read something that said to use a y adapter with a subwoofer cable? Would that be better than a subwoofer cable alone? Also, I read something from polk audio saying that sub outputs on receivers aren't great and should be avoided?

I don't want to spend a lot of cash, but if someone could describe to me the best way to connect my receiver without spending, say over $40, I would really appreciate it.

My receiver does have a subwoofer out.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best way to hook up a subwoofer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best way to hook up a subwoofer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you have???
by jcrobso / October 28, 2005 7:30 AM PDT

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
Polk audio
by mrobzo / October 28, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

Is wrong, go ahead and connect your sub to the jack output to the imput. Then ajust it to your comfort.

Collapse -
FYI
by GSRich78 / October 30, 2005 6:12 PM PST

there are some movies out there that are only Dolby Digital 5.0. Meaning the bass is mixed in the 2 front channels Meaning no bass will come out from the .1 channel for the subwoofer

Collapse -
Typical Sub Hookup
by TiVolution / October 31, 2005 5:10 AM PST

Most people with powered subwoofers use the LFE out (sub out) from the receiver to the sub. This is an RCA connector (I just used a plain old RCA) and then I used a Y-connector to hook it to both of the sub's input (i.e., left and right.) All the Y-connector does is boost the sound level. You can also do this by upping the volume on the sub's amp. A Y-connector is a couple bucks so you could buy one and try it.

Note - since you say you are new to home theater, make sure that you set up your DVD player correctly. Most DVD players require that you go into their menu to set up sending the full 5.1 signal vs. a stereo signal. Also, you'll need to use either a coax or optical connection from the the DVD to the reciever to get the true 5.1 signal. Enjoy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.