TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best way to eliminate cable and watch TV for free

by BigRamon13 / February 19, 2013 5:05 AM PST

What is the best way to watch TV for free and eliminate cable TV? I live in a condo and can not install an external TV aerial. Is there a device I can attach to my TV to legally pick up programing?

I have heard of hulu but how does one get it to play through a TV and not a computer?

Thanks to everyone who provides help/suggestions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to eliminate cable and watch TV for free
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to eliminate cable and watch TV for free
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try any antenna at all? Near the window?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 7:54 AM PST

As to Hulu, you connect the laptop to the TV and you're done.
Bob

Collapse -
Antenna
by BigRamon13 / February 20, 2013 6:17 AM PST

Bob,

Thanks. I am researching indoor antennas now. I appreciate your help and response.

Dolf

Collapse -
Antennas and stuff
by sunwatcher / February 19, 2013 11:59 AM PST

If you live near a metropolitan area, chances are you'll be able to receive local HD programming with a simple indoor antenna. You might need an amplified antenna depending on how far you are from the broadcast facilities. A good resource is antennaweb.org.

You can get hulu through some multimedia players such as Roku.

Collapse -
Thanks
by BigRamon13 / February 20, 2013 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Antennas and stuff

Thank you for the website tip. I have started researching indoor antennas and this will help me. I will also look into Roku to see if that is another workable solution.

Thanks for taking to time to helpl

Dolf

Collapse -
Condos and antenna rules.
by mjd420nova / February 20, 2013 2:39 AM PST

If you have a crawl space or even a laundry room or closet that's got a high enough ceiling, you could mout an outdoor(small) antenna mounted to the ceiling or rafters. Amplified/indoor antennas are good if mounted on a second floor or on a high shelf in a closet. Aside from using a computer to connect to the internet, there are now thousands of sites streaming and downloading just about every kind of media and genre you desire. With a computer that has an HDMI output, that can go directly to the HDTV and away you go.

Collapse -
Thanks
by BigRamon13 / February 20, 2013 6:26 AM PST

Thank you for responding. I am researching antennas. I do have a condo that is like a home with a large open attic space in lieu of a second floor and I have access through the garage ceiling. I am doing research to determine what type of antenna will work best.

I do have a BluRay player. I have it cabled to my HD tv via a DVI/HDMI cable. My plan is to eliminate cable tv but retain my cable internet since the fee for this is nominal.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Dolf

Collapse -
The type of antenna isn't as important as...
by Pepe7 / February 20, 2013 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

...how it's oriented. It can take a little futzing to get the signal to come in just right IME.

Collapse -
Large open attic
by mjd420nova / February 21, 2013 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Thats an ideal location, even a larger antenna would have room. Mount it just as if it was outside, only upside down hanging from the roof peak---- inside. You could even mount a rotor if you have room.

Collapse -
A Roku plus a powered indoor OTA antenna
by givemeaname / February 20, 2013 12:05 PM PST

No sale now but every once in awhile they will have $20 off... But watch your bandwidth limit.

http://shop.roku.com/

For antenna, that will depend where the broadcast towers are. If they are mostly in one direction a directional antenna if in diffrent directions then an omnidirectional antenna and powered is the best.

Collapse -
Checkout...
by Willy / February 21, 2013 3:03 AM PST

Free air TV still depends on the location and strength of the signal. So, depending on your condo location and what windows or opening are present can allow the signal to get in. Of course an antenna will help, even a simple "rabbit ears" still works. But, if your in a densely build-up area or have some building blocking or you've less than a perfect signal, the better the antenna the better the signal gathering. Blockage from trees, mountains and man-made sources continuel to be the problems for good signal strength. the best wording used, "is line of sight" and/or from TV signal source. It isn't going to be fruitful if you live in a remote area in the mountains surrounded by trees and stuck in a valley, that would be a poor location. The same for a location in the city, downtown surrounded by building or skyscapers and you're on lower level. If you in a high level and facing the signal source, great reception. The same applies if your on the wrong side facing away. Check online for antenna that can be mounted "inside" a home to include any devices that may help. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.