Internet Service Providers forum

Best way to configure 4G LTE broadband access

by wboylston / July 28, 2012 9:22 AM PDT

I'm going to have to use a Verizon device for internet access, as no cable or dsl available in new house. VZ tells me I'm on the edge of 4G coverage. What's the best way to try to get best(fastest, most stable) signal inside the house? Will one of the 4G amplifiers (like Wilson) also prop up the 3G signal, if the 4G drops out?
Also, is there a way to hardwire one computer to the router, vs having all devices connect via wifi. I'm trying to reduce latency as far as possible, at least on one computer.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to configure 4G LTE broadband access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to configure 4G LTE broadband access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by bill012 / July 28, 2012 11:11 PM PDT

Be very careful about the coverage maps. If they say you are on the edge that most likely means it will only work if you stand on you roof and hold your nose just right.

Even when you are in what is suppose to be strong coverage areas you sometime get no signal. Most the time the fine print on the coverage maps says that this is for outdoor use. Best advise on this is borrow a LTE device from verizon and see how much coverage you get. This will also be useful for placement of any booster since you need to place this device in the strongest signal area. A smart phone tends to be the easiest to do this with since I am going to bet you get the best signal on your roof someplace. Even if verizon charges a small amount to lend you something it is worth it, the amplifiers and antennas needed tend to be very expensive so you need to get it right the first time.

Many of the signal amplifiers will work with all the bands. You need to ask what frequency they run the 3g on. More than likely LTE is running on 700mhz. The amplifier needs to support the other frequency.

Depends where you get the router. Verizon should offer one with ethernet ports. You can always use a USB dongle type device and a third party router that is not locked to verizon.

The best type of device I have seen to do this is a outdoor 3g/4g router. Instead of trying to retransmit cell tower signals it receives them and then sends WiFI out instead. Sorta a 3g/4g hotspot built into a directional cellphone antenna. I have not seen a LTE product yet but I would suspect they make them. Of course this does not work if your plan is to use a cell amplifier to improve your ability to make cellular telephone calls

Collapse -
I did this or similar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2012 4:05 AM PDT

I had moved and didn't have a connection at first. So I took my cell phone and tethered it to one of our spare netbooks. Then I put the cell phone in the best location I could find then ran VIRTUAL ROUTER (see google) on the netbook.

It worked pretty nicely and I never considered getting the Wilson gear.

Since it would be possible to setup Virtual Router to use the ethernet instead I could have configured that and put a router configured as a WAP there.

Latency is going to be pretty bad and out of your control. Wired is the best but WiFi over wired may be such a small gain or loss that my bet is the cellular delays will be some 99% of the delay. There's also another limit looming for such things. There is often a limit to the number of ports you can open at a time.

All this is a bit of fun to setup (I don't offer such help here) and let's hope you don't re-discover the limits and issues first hand.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.