Networking & Wireless

Question

Best way to boost wireless signal

by DZ2012 / March 12, 2012 12:34 PM PDT

What is the easiest way to boost the the signal from a wireless router(1 year old), weak signal going into a different room. Yes has to go around a wall into another room.
What is the easiest way to boost it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to boost wireless signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to boost wireless signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
signal level
by bill012 / March 12, 2012 10:08 PM PDT

Almost all devices transmit at the maximum legal power so you cannot increase the signal level. Some walls completely block wireless, my brother has a wall designed to block sound and it also blocks all wireless signals.

You could try a directional antenna to concentrate your legal signal level and try to blast it though the wall but in some cases it will make little difference.

You can completely ignore any wireless "boosters" since they are either illegal or just amplify the interference along with the signal. Wireless repeaters if you can place them correctly can work, in your case can you actually place this device so it can see both your router and your pc with no wall in between. These tend to be hard to setup because you now have 2 wireless signals to deal with so you now have twice the chance to get interference.

The best way to do this is to find a way to get a cable of some kind between the rooms. Ethernet is of course the best but there are systems that will run over the power lines or over the coax used for cable tv.

Collapse -
Answer
Reflector placement
by mjd420nova / March 23, 2012 11:50 AM PDT

Some times you can use sheets of foil behind the antenna(s) to reflect the signal in the direction needed. This could bring marginal signal stength to usable parameters. This can also be used to block signals from going outside a desired area or direction.

Collapse -
Answer
Signal Level
by langstons / March 23, 2012 3:04 PM PDT

Not all wireless routers use the full bandwith available some only brodacst on a narrow band its possable you have a unit that only uses the narrow bandwith and you could benefit from one that offers a wide bandwith, it's also possable you have one that has a crappy antenna (or antenna's) that came with it as many out there come standard with poor antenna's like bill012 said you may get more out of your router by replacing the antenna with one that has a higher gain or use a directional antenna.
You may also want to think about getting a gaming router there usualy the ones best set up for providing the best signal and highest bandwith as well as the most options for how you want your system set up but before you do any thing look on the companys website that makes your router and see if there is a firmware update for your model and install it then see if that fix's your problem.

Collapse -
Answer
Depends what kind of house you have.
by Zouch / March 23, 2012 10:38 PM PDT

Some houses are steel framed, which is a problem in that the walls form Faraday cages and block the signal pretty effectively. Some use sound/heat insulation in the internal walls and the insulation panels can be foil lined - great signal blockers.

You may be able to use a secondary access point, sometimes called a network extender, if you can locate it say line of sight to the router or at least in a non-blackspot and near a doorway to the other room.

Or as bill012 suggests, a powerline adaptor can be very effective, assuming you don't want to walk around the house with your device(s).

Here's another off the wall suggestion - if you live in a single storey house or the rooms in question are on the top floor, you might get away with putting the router or an access point in the roofspace - always assuming you don;t have the "space blanket" type foil heat insulation in the roof. Fibre insulation and gyp-rock don't offer much resistance to wireless signals.

Collapse -
Answer
WIRELESS BOOSTER
by serpico99 / March 24, 2012 1:55 AM PDT

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY LAPTOP AND NET BOOK. FOUND THIS WEB PAGE THAT SOLVED MY PROBLEMS.

http://www.betterwifirange.com/index.html

MY NET BOOK WENT FROM 1 OR 2 BARS TO 5 AT MY HOME. IT ALSO HELPED WITH A CONDO I RENT IN FLORIDA THAT HAS CONCRETE WALLS, NOT AS GOOD AS HOME BUT DID HELP QUITE A BIT.

TOM

Collapse -
Weak Wi-Fi
by 87JAGMAN / March 24, 2012 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: WIRELESS BOOSTER

I purchased a tablet and the Wi-Fi kept dropping out even though I was only 10' and one dry-walled wall away from the router. Now, I may be wrong, but I had run into it years ago that when a router drops the signal consistently it is going bad. As I did many years ago, and in this case, I replaced the router with a cheap $50 one. Again, problem solved. Plus, even though my ISP (cable company) had jumped their throughput to 10Mbps, mine was only at 6Mbps. Upon installing the new router it is now 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up!

In addition, the Wi-Fi signal was uneven depending where you were in the house due to the different wall configurations the signal had to pass through. I found a free app called Wi-Fi Analytics at the Amazon AppStore. You can walk through your home and audibly ping your router and look at the accompanying active signal strength chart to find the best place to move your router. A trip to the attic,100' of Ethernet cable, an hour or two later, and I now have 3 < 4 bars throughout the house.

Collapse -
Answer
RE
by Schnappi1989 / February 24, 2013 4:59 PM PST

The replacement of a high-gain antenna to the wireless router is the most direct way to boost the signal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.