Desktops

Question

Best way to access home PC and run taxing (music) programs?

by NuPokerFace / March 9, 2013 7:33 AM PST

Hello All.
So I've gotten pretty used to working on my laptop and running some music production programs. Now I'm going back to a desktop (apparently more stable for audio), but would really like to keep the mobility of a laptop as I spend hours on hours editing music on my bed, couch, at work, etc. My idea is to get the desktop and connect via wifi, or i guess bluetooth when I'm at home, through my old laptop, or (yet to be purchased) notebook or tablet. I understand there are some apps/ programs that will let you do this.

So, my questions, is it realistic to attempt to do this? All the processing is going to be done on the desktop itself right? I do not want any lag, as the poor performace of my laptop is the main reason I'm going back to a desktop. If you think it will work:

-Should I go tablet or laptop?
-Is there any specific hardware I should look for when buying the desktop, laptop or tablet?
-Recommended software?
-Also, it would be a home run if I could connect my portable keyboard via usb to whatever mobile device I will be using, although in this I'm sure there will be some lag in response time.
-My home internet router says 54mbps, I'm not sure how accurate this is though. I would say its above average to very good, depends.
-Thoughts?

Much, much appreciated

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to access home PC and run taxing (music) programs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to access home PC and run taxing (music) programs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I do not want any lag,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 9:27 AM PST

As of today all remote solutions have lag. Sorry but maybe in the future there will be a lag so slight it could be called no lag.
Bob

Collapse -
by NuPokerFace / March 9, 2013 3:58 PM PST
In reply to: I do not want any lag,

Well I expect some lag. I dont even have deep pockets to spend. But is it feasible, will it interrupt my workflow?

Collapse -
That's not what you wrote above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Some folk find the mouse and screen lag disturbing. I've used too many remote apps so for me, as a programmer I understand the lag and don't fret it.

When folk make their specifications known that's nice so others can avoid leading the others down the garden path.

In your case, you should try remote apps like VNC (there are many variations) to see if that is good enough for you. Given the price of VNC then why would you not try it?
Bob

Collapse -
It depends.
by NuPokerFace / March 10, 2013 12:21 PM PDT

Thank you for your response. You're right, any lag is not some lag... I can tolerate a lag in response time, but not a randomly intermittent lag, if that makes any sense. Let's say I press play to see how this song sounds, and it skips a few parts of the song... The thing is, I'm buying most of this, and not just the app. Alternative D would be to get a high end laptop, but like I said I would prefer this.

Collapse -
Now that we are getting more granular.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: It depends.

This is something we did years ago. That is, launch something on the remote computer. It did not stutter or lag any more than it did as it did when we did this locally. So the remote computer plays the song and that's it.

Maybe you were thinking that the song would play on the local PC?

This is why you should dive in and try VNC.
Bob

Collapse -
excellent to know.
by NuPokerFace / March 11, 2013 1:20 PM PDT

I should try to look at more tests like that... I still got to do some more research.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.