Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

best virus ware

by pantherbabe / May 14, 2004 12:59 AM PDT

Hello
I am Kathy Hess,
I would love to know what is the best virus software you can use out there?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best virus ware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best virus ware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:best (anti) virus ware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2004 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: best virus ware

Frankly, if you take time to see what the current issues that people post about, the more common problems swirl around the latest WORMS which I didn't see any antivirus stop and PARASITES which are not a virus so most antivirus programs are not noting.

On top of that, some expect an antivirus program to sheild the user from unsafe usage or opening all possible web or emails. So far, such triple plated protection has yet to be found.

On the more practical side, I've yet to see any absolute best since all the AVs detect the same bugs in short order after such are discovered. That said, beyond antivirus is where the real protection is. I'll make a short list of tools to expell most pests and what else to add some protection against worms and pests.

- Detection and removal or most pests:
Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and Housecall.

- Added protection against many pests:
A nice HOSTS file to block known bad sites. I'd look up HPGURUs HOSTS.

The Immunize feature of Spybot.

Use of SpywareBlaster.

All critical updates for your OS.

Use of another brower and email client than IE or OE.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
2 more items. For NT/2000/XP/2003/Linux, SERVICES and no P2P please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2004 1:42 AM PDT

In all the OSes, reducing Services or stopping servers closes the door on many problems. While P2P may be popular, so is a comment sometimes written here. It is:

"Their machine is Kazaa'd."

For such users, the lesson is only learned after they crash and burn a few times. At least its your choice on this matter.

The next issue is SERVICES. It takes a bit of research to find Black Viper's web site about it, and I don't list it on purpose since the research is needed as to what SERVICES you can stop in NT/2000/XP/2003. This can slam the door on many problems from ever occuring.

For Linux, it can be a bit easier for those that can look into the /etc area and comment out what they don't need.

Bob

Collapse -
Kathy, Which Automobile Is 'Best'
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 14, 2004 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: best virus ware

If you're referring to "antivirus" programs only, then it's a personal choice which will be dependent on a number of things including your personal preferences, the computer operating system and it's configuration, internet connection type, plus the type of things your computer will be used for. In addition, what is your experience level? Do you need lots of support for the program or can you take care of any problems that come up? (For example, I might suggest using the free version of Grisoft's AVG for a single home user computer run by an individual who doesn't need much support backup, but I wouldn't advise that same program to a multiple computer company which needs more robust security.) Talk to friends, family and read the reviews. If you get a chance, check out some computers with the various antivirus programs running. They all work a little differently and have different graphic user interfaces.

And as mentioned by Bob earlier, in today's virus/malware environment, you need to stay current with all the Critical Updates for Windows and other programs on your computer, (they actually prevent viruses from infecting your machine) plus use a good spyware removal tool, or two, or three, and maybe consider a firewall....Once again, it all depends on a lot of variables.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.