Audio & Video Software

General discussion

Best video file format?

by RobberTom / August 15, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

What's the best video file format?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best video file format?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best video file format?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) DV if it's an SD camera.
by Kiddpeat / August 15, 2006 3:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
There are no best, but...
by Art / August 15, 2006 4:14 PM PDT

if you tell us what your objectives are then maybe we can suggest what format to use.

Collapse -
You have to answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 11:18 PM PDT

Since a movie producer may have to stay in raw DV till the very end while someone with storage issues will want high compression.

One's best is the other's worst.

Bob

Collapse -
video format list
by pvrsridhar / July 12, 2008 4:43 AM PDT

I need a spreadsheet listing all the currently available video formats for camcorders with columns next to the list showing pluses and minues for each format. Is there such a spreadsheet in any book or forum?
I am looking to buy a new camcorder because I am dissatisfied with the video quality of our present Sony mini DVD camcorder using MPEG-2 format. I am also dissatisfied with Sony Vegas Platinum editing software because they can't seem to make clear what video formats their software actually works with. So I may want to buy new editing software also.

Collapse -
Sadly, the number of CODECs grow daily it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2008 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: video format list

There are web sites about this but you can google that. What I want to share is how I deal with it. Here it is.

1. VirtualDub for transcoding.
2. VLC PLAYER is used sometimes.
3. "GSpot Codec Information Appliance" - "GSpot is a free utility which identifies the codec required to play an AVI file and supplies other information as well."
4. Google to find the codec and how to handle that oddly encoded file.

Let me end with this statement. I've encountered people that think that Sony or other software makers should handle this mess. Like someone told me -> "Never going to happen."

My son is dealing with this now as he enters his 3rd year of college during some courses but while the other students are stumped he's been able to move past the ideas the software is buggy and learn the tools to get the video imported and on the board.
Bob

Collapse -
Be afraid of what you ask for
by pvrsridhar / July 12, 2008 4:32 PM PDT

Thank you for suggesting GSpot. I downloaded it and maybe I can translate some clips with it. But I opened the file listing all the codecs (audio and video formats?) and was overwhelmed. 99% of the info is beyond my understanding.
I just need to know what hard drive or flash drive camcorder will give me a good picture in medium inside lighting (MPEG-2 mini DVDs and Vegas don't) and what editing software will allow me to edit and label the clips taken.
Just buy, experiment, and return the camcorders that can't handle less than perfect lighting I guess. And use Gspot to translate clips into something Sony Vegas Platinum will understand. I have waded through and fought off several of the damn features to learn how to use this software for the basics.

Collapse -
"less than perfect lighting" =
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2008 1:06 AM PDT

You guessed it, less than perfect results. If you take any photo or other course work, guess what area they spend a lot of time on.

Let me be blunt here and that to cure bad lighting with better cameras is going to be very expensive. You will have to jump to the 5000+ pro cameras that are dead gimmes since you see the huge lens needed to get enough light. Small lens like your consumer products will need good lighting.

Bob

Collapse -
best video file format for the Big Screen
by trytme / June 24, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

Hoping my video will be projected in movie theatres.

It's HD and 16.9 format.

Question: for very best quality projection in a theatre, what is the recommended file format? Mpg2?

Collapse -
Best would be no compression. Or lossless.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 11:13 PM PDT

MPEG 2 would create artifacts that on such a big screen would have folk distracted from your work.

Stick to raw DV and test the result in a few encodings but so far, MPEG 2 is best for DVD home output and not much else.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by trytme / June 24, 2010 11:20 PM PDT

Your advice is appreciated--and so quickly. I'll get to work researching how my low-end editing program relates to raw DV.

Collapse -
Sorry I was too quick to write "raw DV."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Bob

The topic is an old one and you need to translate my "raw DV" to something a little more what other folk can relate to. Here's the long explainer.

What we want is the lightest weight compressor or none OR one that does not introduce ARTIFACTS. MPEG in many versions does this -> (see) http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/best-quality-method-to-convert-dvd-to-avi-t299956.html

See the mpeg block artifacts?

You want to avoid this and if you are going big screen these are only going to get worse in almost any compression. So when I write "raw DV" I mean which ever format that does not compress so we don't get the artifacts and fuzz out as we load and save our work.
Bob

Collapse -
best video file for archiveing
by Robertvv4th / January 8, 2011 6:35 AM PST

i want to archive my old video files (video ts, vob)to external hard drive whats the best to convert them to for good quality file for future use

Collapse -
The good news is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 8:00 AM PST

That's been discussed. The answer was to NEVER convert content since with each conversion you encounter more loss.

-> Leave the files as-is and don't convert them.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.