TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Best VHS to DVD "Converter"

by KristiAmbrose / February 7, 2013 1:42 AM PST

Like most people, our family has a ton of movies on VHS that are taking up room because we only have a DVD player lol. We would like to find a way to convert these VHS's to DVDs. Don't need anything fancy like editing or anything like that since they are movies not produced by us. I read a few people on another thread but the OP was looking for something a little more complex since he was transferring home movies. Is there a standalone system I can purchase or something like that? Looking for something that is no higher than $150. Also, do I need to worry about piracy laws or anything like that? Don't plan on selling them, I just want to convert VHS to DVD so we can get rid of the VHS we no longer need in order to make some room.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best VHS to DVD "Converter"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best VHS to DVD "Converter"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sold at WalMart
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 11:59 PM PST
Collapse -
Copy Protection
by Dan Filice / February 8, 2013 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: Sold at WalMart

The DVD recorder is nice, but will it side-step copy protection? It seems that the OP wanted to take VHS movies that were not his and burn them to DVD, and he asked about Piracy laws. Most if not all DVD burners won't allow this, unless that Magnavox is one of the old models that allowed copying? When I converted my VHS movies I had to use a hardware device that too S-Video from my VHS player and converted it to a digital signal fed into my computer via Firewire cable, then I could burn them to DVD. Boy, what a time consuming pain that was.

Collapse -
So far none do that unless it's a fluke or rogue unit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Copy Protection

There are a lot of folk that want to enter into an argument about that, but depending on what country you are in, it rarely works out.

About the TIME CONSUMING PAIN. I hear you. If I can't go direct or use my Philips HDD 160GB DVD recorder it takes about 6 hours to make 1 hour of video. On the Philips it takes 1 hour to record one hour of video (1 to 1 so far.) Then I can snip off the extra at the beginning and end then dub to DVD in 15 or so minutes. That's more like it.

The OP's budget is too low.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Whole copies
by mjd420nova / February 8, 2013 9:37 AM PST

Those VHS to DVD recorder have or were forced to prevent the copy to DVD of copyrighted tapes. This would best be accomplished with a USB type plugin that accepts composite video inputs. A desktop might accept an internal videocapture card but some hardware problems abound. I use the Funai stand alone to do whole copies of VHS-C tapes to DVD, once on that media it can go to any number of machines to edit, mix and reburn to DVD. there are some devices that will allow you to work around the copy protection but that is fraught with problems too.

Collapse -
My early Canopus had no issues
by Dan Filice / February 8, 2013 1:59 PM PST
In reply to: Whole copies

My early model of Canopus took composite inputs from VHS and converted the signal to DV and used FireWire to computer for digitizing into my software. This device did not have the sync problems of many cheap hardware or software solutions and did not use USB, which does not really work for importing DV. And this old unit bypasses copy protection. Thankfully most movies I had on VHS became available on DVD. Most people did not want to spend $200 or so on a Canopus unit but they were happy spending $50 - $100 on methods that didn't work. The new Canopus units don't bypass protection.

Collapse -
Answer
Now Wait A Minute!!
by Tom_SF / February 8, 2013 3:16 PM PST

Why is it when I asked this question I was accused of trying to bypass copy-protection???

In any event, I put as many tapes as I could on to DVD using a stand-alone VHS machine and a stand-alone Panasonic recorder. I was able to put most of the tapes on DVD but for those that wouldn't allow copying, I just kept the tape and use the VHS machine.

One thing I wouldn't do is put a label on the DVD. For some reason it causes tracking errors.

It would also help to do a search to see if your VHS movies are now available on DVD. If so, there are plenty of sites that would have them cheap.

Collapse -
Piracy
by Dan Filice / February 8, 2013 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Now Wait A Minute!!

Sorry, I didn't mean you. I was responding to "Kristi" above who stated in her post "Do I need to worry about piracy laws"? For me, I copied tapes for my own purpose so I didn't worry about piracy. Oh oh, there you go FBI, come and arrest me. Anyways, when my copied movies come out on DVD, I toss the copied version because the quality suffers on copied versions.

Collapse -
Wait another minute...
by Tom_SF / February 9, 2013 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Piracy

Sorry, I referred to a question I asked maybe a year ago. What I did was look up titles that by now should be on DVD. After all, there are some titles (especially sports titles for some reason) that I never see on DVD. So I just labeled "CP" on my tapes and don't lose any sleep over not finding them on DVD.

Collapse -
I didn't read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Now Wait A Minute!!

I do read where members highlighted the copy protection issue and you need to make and live with your choices.

However since all the models I see today honor the usual protection, you may be upset at the results.
Bob

Collapse -
I read dat...
by Tom_SF / February 9, 2013 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't read that.

The only thing I really don't like is that I never know if a tape is copy-protected until the DVD machine stops itself from recording and renders the actual disc unusable.

Collapse -
Re: unusable
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: I read dat...

So you try with a rewriteable DVD until you know it's good. And only then you start over with a non-rewritable. Problem solved.

Kees

Collapse -
Oh, if only DVD burning w/ standalone devices...
by Pepe7 / February 9, 2013 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: unusable

...were that simple.

FWIW, quite a lot of them puke up certain types of blanks DVD-RWs, and others won't accept/finalize specific brands. YMMV. Been there, done that. That's why most folks stick with the cheaper but much more reliable single layer DVD blanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.