Tablets forum

Question

Best Tablet or phone for 2 way video skyping?

by victor-bailey / October 13, 2011 1:10 AM PDT

I am going to be traveling abroad for a month and I want to video skype with my wife. I normally take my laptop with me for this purpose, but I was wondering if I could find something much smaller to do this with since I will not need my laptop for anything else on this trip. I thought that a tablet would be the ticket, but after doing a little searching, to my utter amazement, skype is just now starting to support Android. Also, most tablets only have a front facing camera. Then I began to wonder if there was a smart phone that could be used for this. Since they have been around longer then the tablets, I thought that might have better skype support.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Tablet or phone for 2 way video skyping?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Tablet or phone for 2 way video skyping?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Best changes daily.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 2:33 AM PDT

Are you sure that "best" is a good idea? Maybe something that works would be ok? Did you try the iPad?
Bob

Collapse -
Best for skype two way video.
by victor-bailey / October 13, 2011 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Best changes daily.

I don't want to try something to see if it will work. I want to know what I buy will work before I buy it. That is why I am asking questions here. When I said best, I was talking specifically about Skyping. I could care less about anything else. The Ipad cost $500. That seems just a little high for the singular purpose I need this for. That is why I suggested maybe a smart phone.

Collapse -
For the dollar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 12:12 AM PDT

I'm still seeing the ubiquitous netbook do this well. I have a few android systems to use as our office is porting our apps to android and you are right they (skype) still feels like beta. I think they need a little more time unless you put it on the newer 500 dollar dual core androids. Which makes me think the iPad is the choice if you can't test it on your android under consideration.

Dogging this discussion is that the churn in the android tablets means that any unit I note may be upgraded, changed or discontinued by the time you go looking for it or Skype may change a little and what I tested will not work as well for you since something changed.

The iPad 2 is not suffering from those issues and why it may be today's "best."
Bob

Collapse -
So, you are saying
by victor-bailey / October 14, 2011 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: For the dollar.

that the tablet market is still to volatile at this point to trust anything. ARRG!! Technology for me is a love hate relationship. If the whole tech industry would just slow down for a while maybe we would see some well thought out and refined products. But we are stuck spending hundreds on half baked gadgets that promise to be better and less glitchy but never live up to that promise. And instead of fixing the problem with existing equipment, they just release a new model and promise it will fix the problem. Which it never does. Sometimes I wish a solar EMP blast would hit the earth and fry every micro circuit on the planet. It sure would make life more simple.

Collapse -
Nod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: So, you are saying

After being in this biz for decades, the change to "we'll fix it later with an internet update" means the makers are rolling out product that may not be completely free of issues.

You see that with Skype on android and other things.

There's a classic movie film maker saying that I can't find attribute for that sounds appropriate.

-> "We'll fix it in post. Next scene."
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Apple iPhone can do 2 - way Skyping
by spencer_harper / October 14, 2011 9:20 PM PDT

Hi,

Collapse -
Can you add a little more?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 1:37 AM PDT

What about the iPhone with no service or the Touch?

Collapse -
Answer
Bigger screen
by zetaone / October 28, 2011 3:10 PM PDT

I think a tablet with a bigger screen is good for skype. And since Microsoft has acquired Skype, maybe those tablets using Microsoft OS will be better in the skype service.

Collapse -
Found what I was looking for
by victor-bailey / October 29, 2011 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Bigger screen

it is an iPod Touch 4th Generation.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you check whether kindle fire works w skype?
by jakeher / November 22, 2011 10:29 PM PST
Collapse -
No Camera, No microphone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2011 2:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Detailed article on about Skype and Tablets
by nancygilbert87 / June 2, 2012 6:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Consider getting a Netbook
by chrisinrb / August 7, 2012 5:23 PM PDT

Have you looked into getting a small 10" netbook like the Acer Aspire One for less than $300?

https://www.google.com/search?q=acer+netbook&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=acer+netbook&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=le1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=ChEiUNmnJars2QWRsYGABg&ved=0CKMBELMY&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=231f583a4628cc32&biw=1141&bih=604

Walmar sells them for less than $249: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Choice-of-Color-Acer-10.1-Netbook-PC-with-Intel-Atom-Dual-Core-N2600-Processor-and-Windows-7-Starter-Value-Bundle/21054383

It is equivalent to a tiny laptop running a fully functional Windows system so you can run Microsoft Office, etc on it. It has a built-in camera allowing you to Skype as well as on any full sized laptop. I have tried Skyping on the Samsung Tab 2 and the new Google Nexus 7 without much luck. The cameras don't have the resolution to project clear and stable images. The iPads would work but they cost more than twice the netbooks. I love the netbook and take it everywhere. Is suspect Microsoft will be releasing a tablet running Windows soon, but until then, the netbook is the next best thing.

Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.