Laptops forum

General discussion

Best Tablet/Laptop (Convertible)?

by norgeo / May 19, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

I'm in the market for a "Convertible" laptop and was wondering which ones are 'the best'. High on my priority list is tablet drawing responsiveness, laptop speed, performance and durability. Which convertible notebooks are your favorites and why?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Tablet/Laptop (Convertible)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Tablet/Laptop (Convertible)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2006 12:52 AM PDT

Frankly we found such to be less reliable than other (normal) laptops. While the ToughBook series is notable for being rugged the few tablets we saw (I will not list the names) still had this odd beta feeling to the operation and hardware.

Also, I notice you may be aware that the market is not accepting these units except for the usual niche areas. That is, do you find the tablets at the usual outlets?

Collapse -
by norgeo / May 20, 2006 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Deplorable.

I'm a little confused about your response. Are you saying that in general ?convertible? laptops (I?m assuming 2006 models) are still very flimsy and buggy? Personally I'm looking into tablets solely for design purposes. The laptop part is for portability (meeting with clients and on the roadwork) - and I would rather type in most instances then write. I figured that a convertible laptop has more punch for the buck then a pure laptop or tablet. I was hoping someone would comment on their ability to use a convertible laptop for programs like Adobe Creative Suite (PhotoShop in particular) or Flash MX. I?m looking at Toshiba and have been advised to stay away from Centrino.
Looking forward to comments and advice!

Collapse -
Get a demo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2006 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Clearification

You'll be paying a premium so be sure to take your prospective unit for a test drive. If they don't have test units, take that as another sign about the market acceptance of that make/model.

Collapse -
Where to get a test unit
by norgeo / May 20, 2006 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Get a demo.

I've never heard of test units before - can you tell me more about what they are and how to get one?

Collapse -
That is partly the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2006 1:45 PM PDT

Such units didn't work well for us for reasons I can write in short that the units had more to go wrong and expectations seemed rather high. Almost all your basic PC software still is very much keyboard oriented and the tablet didn't enhance that.

-> But to answer your question in my roundabout way is that you should take it as a sign that something is amiss with these units since you can't find one to test drive at the usual and even unusual outlets. Being such a premium device, you may want to call the maker of the device and get a trial period in which you can buy one and be assured that if it fails to meet your expectations then within the trial period you can return it without question.

Collapse -
Here's a story. Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 2:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
My piece
by jelgert / May 21, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

This is just my opinion but at the moment the tablet pc are somewhat of a market fad and are advertised as such. People think they will just be easier to use while traveling or in an office setting such as a doctors office where a nurse can use them as clipboard replacements. Under these pretext I do believe the market is out there for these devices to succeed but at the moment I don't believe they are at the level where they actually have advantages over say a smaller laptop which your going to pay less for the time being. The situation at the moment reminds me to a degree of the situation when pda where first becoming and fad and used more often b/c they were trying to run off a system like windows which is really still like R. Proffitt said centered on the keyboard. The idea of all this is basically it takes time for first gen things to really work our their kinks and while the tablets could be very viable solution in the future it would be my advice at the time to possibly look at the smaller ultra-portable to portable laptops which probably weigh the same but just come with a keyboard. These should still very easily fill the need for the portablity you want now while still providing you the dependablity of a good laptop now a days. If you really want that tablet option they do have partial tablets to my knowledge check with lenovo/ibm who have a record of making quality products and having good customer support if you do run into trouble. Anyways ask question before you make your buy and be sure to read the user reviews on whatever product you choose to go with and just so you know I don't own a tablet pc just my opinion on the way things are at this time good luck with your search.

Collapse -
Going through Tablet Reviews and Back...
by cancer 29 / May 22, 2006 11:41 AM PDT

Well i would have to say i have probably done one of the most intensive researches on tablet (convertible) pcs that anyone has ever done and so far I am at a 50/50.

I am a High School Senior will a fair knowledge of computers, (worked at best buy geek squad did some CS built 4 computers since i was 13) looking for a nice Laptop for College and I came across Tablet PCs. I saw the demo and was completely captivated by all the things that come with it and i thought how perfect because i too want to do something on the lines of Photoshop and Flash 8.
so im not that picky 1500 - 2500 price range at least 80 GB 1GB of RAM 2.0 Ghrz and so on and so forth

So far i brought it down to two
The Toshiba Protege M400
and now the Newer Model of the HP tc4200 is the

the reason its down to these two is because of reviews that contradict eachother. here are some of the links i have saved for more research:
-one i refer to CNET and their views on the matter saying that tc4200 is better than the protege (watching the video helps to explain some parts such as the small mouse pad but i would probably use a USB opt mouse)

-then i come across this page and its very easy to understand the flaws of th tc4400 and the bias of the Protege,guid,b8c5f5e4-67de-4961-9a5a-a085ea20dbf5.aspx
theres another link on the M400 on the page you should probably check that out too.

and now... i am left with my own decision and its pretty difficult. if you are able to choose one before i do please advise. I would humbly appreciate it. This is my first post so i hope it was helpful. I too am looking for the best tablet convertible pc out there.

best of luck!

Collapse -
My Opinion Of What The Best Convertible Tablet Laptop Is!
by goldenglovers / April 9, 2011 2:52 PM PDT

In my opinion, and I don't care what anyone else says, but to me the best convertible tablet laptop all around is the HP Touchsmart TM2T tablet laptop. First of all, a person has to have used or owned something before they can write or give reviews about it. We call reviews that are left by people that haven't even used what their writing a review about, "Blind Reviews!" Anyway, I happen to own a HP Touchsmart TM2T tablet laptop. In fact, I own 2 of them. And I have also used and owned many laptops and tablet laptops. I have to say the TM2T is the absolute best tablet. Besides it being the first-ever tablet laptop to use switchable graphics, it can hold a max of 8 GB of memory which is just awesome The keyboard, stylus, webcam, dual digital mics, and all of the other components perform superbly. My TM2T also sports a HDMI port which many laptops and tablets lack. The tablet functions on the TM2T perform beautifully as well. Yes, there is just not one thing wrong with my TM2T tablet laptop. It performs beautifully and is the absolute best ever! But what really makes the TM2T the best is its very reasonable price tag HP places on it. There are other brand name tablets out there which have a price tag double, even triple, than what the Tm2T costs, and even though their prices are very high, they don't come configured with any high end components like the TM2T does. I highly recommend it to any and all mobile pc users. Thanks for reading!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.