iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Best speech to text iPhone app.?

by dbota / September 15, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

I would appreciate recommendations for a iPhone app. where the text could perhaps be used in a note, email or SMS perhaps?

Who are the contenders and are they ready for "prime time"?

thanks,

db

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best speech to text iPhone app.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best speech to text iPhone app.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speech-to-text iPhone app...Quick Voice Pro...
by RLVox / September 21, 2009 12:07 AM PDT

Hi There-

Have you given nFinity's Quick Voice Pro a try. Very easy-to-use speak-an-email app - 99 cents in the app store.

Best,
Rachael

Collapse -
Speech-to-text iPhone app...Quick Voice Pro...
by dbota / September 21, 2009 2:42 AM PDT

Yes, I did. Found that.

Very nice for email. Can you recommend any app that does voice to text for note taking or Voice to SMS text?
db

Collapse -
Speak an SMS
by RLVox / September 21, 2009 5:21 AM PDT

From what I know about the note taking apps for mobile they tend to be tied to email delivery - basically using Quick Voice Pro to send myself a reminder note.

For voice-to-SMS know of a couple options out there. SpinVox has speak-a-text that is basically free, just pay for air time. There is a number you call - 980 939 8785 - and then input the mobile number you want to text. There's also a blast text option that's pretty cool. Here's the site link: http://www.spinvox.com/blast.html.

Also have heard good things about uReach - they have sayText. Not sure if it is available as standalone app or as part of a subscription plan though.

Collapse -
Vlingo Excites Me.
by SheepdogMark / October 13, 2009 1:04 PM PDT

I'm fairly new to the Iphone. I found a free app at the IPhone store called Vlingo. Fairly simplistic. The cool part is that you press a button to record your message and it translates it. You can use it for maps, a search, for a phone message ... and my favorite, to update you facebook page.

The facebook page is amazing, because you simply say your update and it translates very well. You don't have to speak real slow ... but more success if you do. At the end of your sentence you speak "period" and it adds a period. Speak "exclamation point" at the end of your statement and it puts an exclaimation point. It also begins the next sentence nicely when you do so.

Today, I updated my facebook page while driving down the road just to see if I could easily ... and I did. Certainly brings up an interestesting issue with the "no texting" potential "law" out there. Obviously, it makes sense to not text ... or do anything while driving. However, this was actually very simple.

There is lots of potential with this type of program to do some writing using my iphone now.

Hope these insights help your question and expands someones life.

Enjoy,
SheepdogMark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.