PC Applications forum

General discussion

Best Software to keep computer running like new.

by PowderedToast / September 19, 2007 7:59 AM PDT

i just bought a new computer and i was wondering which programs are the best at keeping my computer running at a fast pace?

i was also planning on getting an external hard drive to store the majority of my files on, would this help?

thanks...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Software to keep computer running like new.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Software to keep computer running like new.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suggest you do some reading in STORAGE
by VAPCMD / September 19, 2007 11:15 AM PDT

While external HDDs can be used for primary data storage ... it's probably the most unreliable media for single source data storage.
You'd be much better off putting your data on your internal hard disk drive and copying, not moving, those files to the external HDD as backup. CDs and DVDs are reliable and good for backups.

Before deciding how to proceed, do some reading in STORAGE and get some ideas how best to do your backups.

Still have questions...repost 'em here.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
There is no "single" software application for this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 19, 2007 9:27 PM PDT

If you are new to PC's then the best way to learn is by your own errors and mistakes. If you have had PC's before then you will already know about much of this. But the question you ask will produce many different replies, and so it is up to you to pick through and select what best suits you and your computer.

I would say this. Keeping your computer running smoothly is your responsibility. Don't expect software to do everything for you. The most important things to know are;

1] Keep the hackers out and also protect your system from viruses and spyware.
2] Stay away from P2P download utilities like Limewire, bitTorrent, etc. You may think you want those pirated movies/music/software for free, but you do not want the viruses and spyware that so often comes bundled with the downloaded files.
3] Stay away from Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express. Use another browser type and other email software. IE and Outlook or OE are the vehicles of choice for many virus writers.
4] Backup often. You can't afford to lose those important personal files.
5] Be sure you understand what you are installing. Too often that great sounding software you have downloaded comes bundled with add-ons and other software that you really don't want.
6] Keep Windows up to date. You will need to use Internet Explorer for this some time. That should be the only time you need to use it.
7] Never open attachments in emails unless you save the attachment first and scan it with your anti-virus software before opening it. Don't trust any one who sends email attachments, not even relatives or friends, (my own experience is that their computers are the worst offenders for harboring viruses, without them knowing it).
Cool Do not give out your email address in any forums like these, and learn how to delete emails from senders you do not know, without reading the emails first. Viruses can be installed even by previewing emails, and if you preview a spam email that in itself can tell the sender your email address is active and available for more spam.
9] Keep the dust out of your computer. Once a year open the case and remove the dust build up from fans and air inlet/outlet areas.

This post I did some time ago gives more information, but it is old and so you would need to check the list of anti-malware utilities still available. The Virus and security forum will help there;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=95901&messageID=1086971&tag=nl.e497

Mark

Collapse -
comodo.com
by 5064dougal / October 5, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

Navigate to comodo.com where you will find a whole raft of FREE
protective software,to keep out the baddies. Try CCleaner to
replace MS disk cleanup(also free).Bon Voyage!

Collapse -
I'd suggest Iolo System Mechanic 7
by Dango517 / September 25, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

It does have it's problems from time to time but most software eventually does.

Microsoft also has a free program called One Care (I'm not really sure about the spelling of this) but I haven't used it.

Collapse -
Have used WLOC
by morrie 52 / September 29, 2007 11:55 PM PDT

Have used LiveOneCare in beta2 form and did not think much although has excellent support.Things to try are an excellent defrag tool JK Defrag and all round system cleaner AdvancedWindowsCare 2.55,and use a good firewall Comode Pro as Microsofts pap,all these are freebies.
Pluss do not run two ontime anti-virus or spyware as that can slow you down

Collapse -
Tivoli Continuos Data Protection-IBM
by achillesaries / September 25, 2007 10:10 PM PDT

Hey,

There is this new data back-up program which i purchased. Its called Tivoli Continuous Data Protection, it automatially backs up all your data files as you save them so no more periodic saving your whole C drive on an external hard-disk or on DVD's.

Its a big headache reliever coz now you dont have to worry about losing your un-backed up data especially when your computer hangs.
Its software like this that keeps your system feel like new.......

Collapse -
Best Software to keep computer running like new
by hub_cap / September 29, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

I use a stand alone version of Norton GoBack to undo misbehaving programs that have just been installed.
My only firewall is ZoneAlarm Pro which has AntiVirus and Spyware scans.
My email is scanned with MailwasherPro by Firetrust on my ISP server before I download. It has the capability to bounce unwanted emails or spam back to the originating server as though my email address is not valid.

Collapse -
Best software GoBack
by dougbell / September 29, 2007 2:17 AM PDT

GoBack is an old program....it worked very well to restore a computer to a time before a problem began.

It was bought by companies other than the original... Norton was the last one I used. It saved me for many disasters. NOW...IT DOES NOT WORK WITH VISTA. AS A MATTER OF FACT...I KNOW OF NO PROGRAM FOR VISTA THAT DOES WHAT...AND AS EASILY AS GOBACK DID. I you are running GoBack...with anything other than XP or an earlier version of MS OS.... Please post the source.

This ...to me....is...was the very best software program ever. Maybe it was too good...and that is now why it is not available for Vista.
It was an "all in one" repair program....and it was very inexpensive.

When anything went wrong....you just used GoBack...to an earlier time...or you could restore programs which failed...using an earlier time when it was working.

Collapse -
Best software....
by dougbell / September 29, 2007 2:06 AM PDT

The best software is in your knowledge and experience using software.

Be sure just what your system is. All computers do not keep your computer clean...as new. The more you use it...the more it is filled with files...and possibly spy-ware and antivirus....which is not detected. If you never go online...you may never have some problems. However...online can be a tremendous help.

Duplicate backup devices...internal hd...external hds.... Cds for very small backup. Back up often....
Using uninstall...and just checking your files using windows explorer...searching all files. If there is one you do know know.
....there are ways to check that out. See where it is from and what it is supposed to do.

I have tried many PC maintenance programs. Not one is a really good program. Using more than one...only adds to the problems.

Windows OneCare Live ....if it did as it is supposed to do ....is very good. However....it too, sometimes goes wrong. It takes a long time to perform tuneup...and all that goes with that.
Uninstall...reinstall...is often the answer... That is as starting all over. For the life of me....I do not know why MS onecare cannot be a more reliable program. It requires contacting Support often...and getting an answer to your "question" leads you to suggestions having nothing to do with your problem.

If Onecare could come up with a self repair OneCare...automatic action online.... That would be the answer. I was told last week...that my computer needed to be updated. (This after running OneCare from the beta beginning...and now Vista... Both worked well for me....for short periods of time. Why not now? Support offered to go remote and put me back on XP. This after the expensive cost of Vista....new hardware and software that would be compatible with Vista.
I have become convinced...Vista will not run on any computer as it should....if the computer is not Vista compatible in all ways.

Just as XP was getting "fixed".... We are on another trip with updated fixes and securities...and a delayed Vista 1 release.

There are many forums...and programs dealing with keeping your computer running like new. Face it....it will never run as new...as is it used by you or anyone.

Elsewhere on this forum...."my external hard drive fell off the table and ...now it does not work." The case can be opened...the drive taken out and replaced with a "new less expensive 'internal' drive that is similar to the one you remove... check with the computer services at your best stores..
Hard drives are much as eggs....when dropped....the crack...and humpty dumpty could put a new drive in the case.... It is simple.
One way is to try it. If you can not get it to work... You can install the new drive internally.

Should you...or anyone find a perfect pc repair, maintenance, complete program.... Let everyone know.

Duplicate finders and such....beware. You might well remove the wrong file.... the one that works.

Buyer beware... Backup. Backup.... and never install anything without knowing it is a approved utility or program...
For some reason...hackers...take great pride in destroying your computer. They think they are clever... If only they would put all that work in to making computing safer....they could make millions of dollars. That would be more satisfying unless they are having mental problems. Halloween tricks...equal hackers revenge....for some reason.

Collapse -
All-in-one maintenance/repair/optimization software
by Dango517 / September 29, 2007 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Best software....

This software pretty much does it all. The seven version is much better then the six. I'd recommend it because I use it. It cleans, optimizes the registry, fixes hard drive errors, etc, etc, etc. It also has a complete security package. It does seem to have some slight Vista compatibility problems but nothing you can't live with. There you have it an all-in-one, that works. This is not a ad, this is a review and recommendation.

Collapse -
External hard drive
by Dick Humfrey / September 30, 2007 4:30 PM PDT

Others have given many comments on protection and fixing etc. as well as backing up

I have all files I can not afford to lose on one of the partitions on my hard drive as well as an external USB drive. The hard drive version is for quick accessing.

Then every so often when I have time I also burn to a DVD or CD.

Hopefully in the event of a fire or similar I would have time to grab the USB hard drive or DVD's if nothing else to rescue those documents and files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.