Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Best software to convert AVCHD onto DVD-RW

by kowb0i / December 27, 2008 8:42 PM PST

I have a Canon Vixia 100 which records in AVCHD and am looking for a program that will enable me to burn onto DVD-RW.Something that won't cost hundreds. My OS is Vista premium 64 bit.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best software to convert AVCHD onto DVD-RW
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best software to convert AVCHD onto DVD-RW
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: burning
by Kees Bakker / December 27, 2008 8:47 PM PST

What exactly do you want?
- Convert to DVD-format, so you can play it in any DVD-player?
- Or just make a backup-copy in the current format like you can burn all your data to a DVD-R(W) as a backup.

Just not clear from you post, that's why I'm asking.

Collapse -
by kowb0i / January 1, 2009 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: burning

Yes, I want to burn the videos onto the DVD-RW discs that I have. I have the Pixella software that came with the camera and another Voltaic program that someone gave me, but no luck.

Collapse -
Try a DVD Burner
by flyswan8 / April 30, 2009 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD

You should to try a DVD Burner, Which can burn AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and WMVDfiles to DVD-R and DVD+R discs.

Collapse -
Let's toss out 2 freebies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 12:43 AM PST

I can't guess what you wanted to do exactly but these two are fine and free. DVD FLICK and IMBBURN.

Collapse -
I believe both Nero and corel support that with...
by ahtoi / December 28, 2008 1:09 AM PST

their latest software. You might look into their website and see what you can find.

Collapse -
Recording to DVD etc
by Phil Crase / December 29, 2008 11:26 PM PST

Assume you are using a FIREWIRE link? If that is the case, the last post would be the way to go, Nero, Roxio, Acid and there are other softwares on the market.

Collapse -
No firewire
by kowb0i / January 1, 2009 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Recording to DVD etc

Nope, no firewire. I have the Pixella software that came with the corder and another one called Voltaic but I still can't burn the videos onto the DVD-RWs that I have. The hard part is that reviews of so much of the software give it either a great review or it's just plain crap.

Collapse -
software with vixia hf100 with 64 os
by CATAURORA / April 27, 2009 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No firewire

any luck...i'm just beginning my software search. I called ImageMixer and i told them i was using 64 bit and they said their software is only compatible with 32 bit.

Collapse -
We keep trying.....
by djmaynyrd / April 28, 2009 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Recording to DVD etc

I am in similar sorts with my Presario, trying to burn movies onto DVD, to play in DVD HOME players.

My Roxio, MYDVD Basic 9, doesn't support .avi files, which I am discovering, are generally the better quality files. Roxio seems to work with mp4, but the video appears chopy.

I don't prefer the "convert" type "avi to dvd" programs. I will more than happy to upgrade my Roxio, or buy a different program.

Does anyone have info in this area....?

Collapse -
Just general info;
by ahtoi / April 28, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: We keep trying.....

most dvd home player don't play mp4 or other avi video files. Now to convert or not, it's your choice.

What OS are you using? I have notice most of the latest software are for XP or Vista only.

Choppy video could be cause by many things; one might be just to upgrade the player so maybe give VLC media player a try. But if it's hardware problem, then you know what you have to do.

Collapse -
Still stumped
by djmaynyrd / April 29, 2009 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just general info;

Dont misunderstand, I will be "converting", burning to DVD, (for DVD players). I just don't wanna convert, the file. Heck, once I get it on DVD, the file is useless, to me.

I am using Vista, Home edition

Collapse -
Why is it useless if the file has been converted to a format
by ahtoi / April 29, 2009 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Still stumped

that the dvd player can play it? We are missing something here; you got to let us know what it is because I am a little confuse here.

Maybe you some other software beside what vista comes with (like Nero or others)?

Collapse -
we are missing something....
by djmaynyrd / April 29, 2009 6:12 AM PDT

Once I get an item onto DVD for a HOME DVD PLAYER, I have no use for it, no matter the format, because I will watch it on the home system.
I also do not have that much space on my pc to save every movie.

I have recently discovered Torrent files, and it seem that the better
quality movies, are in the avi format.

My Roxio system, (came with my pc), does well, but it is much more than I need....and yet does alot less than I want.

I have tested the converter programs, (some), but it seems like I am doing the work twice. I just want a simple program that will convert/burn to dvd, (for use on NON computer dvd players), any program I can throw at it, especially .avi.

Is there such a program? Do I have the program in my Roxio, just need to upgrade....

Is this much clearer....?

It seems I have been stuck in this search for a long time....I just want to burn.

Collapse -
Sorry, not much clearer.
by ahtoi / April 30, 2009 2:04 AM PDT

When we talk about .avi file, it's just too broad. But I am going to guess that you may have downloaded some "xvid" files (like I said, I can only guess). There are some dvd player that will play these file. I have one that is made by Philips which play divx as well. These file can be burn to a cd or dvd as data files. So if you are running out of spaces on the harddrive, you could use dvd+-/+rw-rw discs as backup.

But remember, it will only play on players which support these format. Of course it should play ok on the computer drives. Hope my explanations are clear, hehe.

Collapse -
now i am C-O-N-F-U-S-E-D
by djmaynyrd / April 30, 2009 4:36 AM PDT

i ONLY KNOW ONE WAY TO DESCRIBE THESE FILES, THE EXTENSION IS .avi and I cannot burn them except to keep them as a data file, (video) showing up only on oomputers.

Are you actually telling me, that I can buy a dvd player, (home unit) that will play them, as is ?

And if I am soooo far out there, why is it that there are so many programs out there JUST for converting ".avi to DVD"? The popular one here at Cnet, is the Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter
Convert and burn AVI, DivX, MPEG files to DVD-Video.

I am about to try "dvdsanta"

Collapse -
I think I know how you feel, but...
by ahtoi / April 30, 2009 9:00 AM PDT

that's what I've learned and what I know. So when someone say they have divx files or xvid files or wmv files; I know exactly what they are talking about. If they they say it's a mp4 or avi files, it doesn't mean too much to me.

Yes there are standalone player that supports divx/xvid or wmv files. Of course this was important in the day when dvd media discs was very expensive.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.