PC Applications forum

General discussion

Best software to clone a HD

by Technospyder / July 29, 2010 6:33 AM PDT

I am upgrading my hard drive, 320GB to a 1.5 TB, and I am wondering what is the best software program to use that will clone every file on my current HD to the new one so the new one will work just like my old one?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best software to clone a HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best software to clone a HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Macrium Reflect Free
by golfsalot / July 30, 2010 5:32 AM PDT

It should do what you want to do. www.download.com
Search for it and try it.

Collapse -
by K.C.C. / July 30, 2010 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Macrium Reflect Free

You need to go to Major Geek.com- Click on category backup. good choice "HDClone Free Edition"
Lots of item there read them over and you should find something.

Collapse -
I got freebies when buying my last two hdd
by lakephillip / July 30, 2010 4:42 PM PDT

Actually one was a Kingston SSD, but it came with ACRONIS. It was simple, and effective, it cloned my c: drive in less than 30 minutes.I was operating from the SSD in 30 mins. and it was free with my ssd package.
Later I bought a new Seagate 1TB 7200 drive, and it came with Seagate branded software by "Acronis". The only difference was the Seagate requires a Seagate or Maxtor in the mix. The Acronis from the Kingston SSD kit allows all brands.
This software is also great for backups. Especially if you have separate drives for OS, and separate for data. Incredibly fast and helpful. It works well which is more than I can say about Windows 7 backup image application.

Collapse -
Disk Cloning
by Zouch / July 30, 2010 11:23 PM PDT

I suppose one could say just restore your latest backup to te new disk?!

Personally, I use Acronis TrueImage - not free (unless it comes with your new HDD) but excellent value. For disk cloning, I usually boot the Acronis CD and run the copy to be sure nothing is using the source disk.

Alternatively (and Bob will hate this!) you might want to take a look at Partition Wizard Home Edition (free) which will copy either whole disks or individual partitions www.partitionwizard.com but do make absolutely sure you have a verified backup of the orriginal before you use it!

Collapse -
by estefan202 / August 5, 2010 2:53 AM PDT

Im surprised your new 1.5tb drive did not come with a cd, each drive comes with a tools disk, wich is a self bootable disk that has drive cloning on. all you have to to is when booting, during toe POST test hit the del or esc key what ever it tells you to do, go into the cmos settings, and change the boot order of the machine, cd/dvd first then your primary hard drive. after that press f10 and save. next insert the cd/dvd in the drive.

If you did not get the support cd, go to the drive manufacturers website, and see if you can request it. a drive cloning cd is standard with any drive nowadays, with the exception of the usb drives, but I was at walmart yesterday and found a bin of 640 and 500gb drives in the hell clear packaging wich does include backup software.

If your computer is only a few years old, you should be able to select in cmos to boot from USB (if newer) CD/OPTICAL HARDDRIVE 1,2,3 in that order. So if you clone your drive, and have a few spair drives, you can also install your os on subequent drives so if your primary drive does not boot doe to a boot sector virus, your secondary drives will, then you can deal with coping your data.

Collapse -
Norton Ghost 15
by ory85 / August 11, 2010 3:25 PM PDT

Norton ghost is the best option for recover u r damaged o.s. Also it recovers u r total hdd by u r requirement.

The back of data in Norton ghost is easily taking. also real time bach-up shedule is the one more plus thing in the Norton ghsot.

1. intall it on u r pc.
2. backup data.
3. save back-up file on hdd or dvd.
4. create bootable recovery disk.
5. when system crashed then insert Norton Ghost bootable recovery disk
& then recover u r system

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.