PC Applications

General discussion

best screen recorder program?

by majax79 / February 18, 2008 1:38 PM PST

I'm looking for a screen recording program.

I've heard good things about snagit...that seems to be the most downloaded at download.com

Anyone have any other suggestions or is that the best and easiest?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best screen recorder program?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best screen recorder program?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"best"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 11:29 PM PST

You didn't define that. Some may insist on free or will not call it best. Look up FRAPS as well.

Bob

Collapse -
srip does nicely
by keithsplace / February 23, 2008 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: "best"
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/screenrip.html

Screen rip that I use. Small footprint, does great for Full Screen, Rectangle area, or Active Window captures. Learn curve is no brainer.
Has options for image quality, file size and extention..
It's tops in my book.. best of all, it's FREE!
Collapse -
Capture or recording?
by John.Wilkinson / February 19, 2008 1:50 AM PST

I use SnagIt for most of my screen captures (still images) and love it, but while it can perform screen recordings (videos) I usually leave that to Camtasia, also a product of TechSmith. Neither is cheap, though, and depending on your uses a freeware app like Gadwin PrintScreen may do just fine. (That's what I use on computers where I don't have a SnagIt license.)

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
by majax79 / February 19, 2008 5:11 AM PST

I'm looking for a program to record video on the screen.

Collapse -
my 2 cents
by keefers1515 / February 22, 2008 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: reply

I like to use Demo Builder 6 Professional. It does cost a bit (250) but it is cheaper than Adobe's similar program called Captivate. Demo builder is easy to use, can record your voice as it records your screen. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
screen grabber
by BARRY PETERS / February 22, 2008 6:43 PM PST

Gadwin printscreen has done it for years for me ,no frills simple, easy and fast to use.
Bazer

Collapse -
free recorder
by reptar / February 24, 2008 10:55 PM PST

C a m S t u d i o

Free, produces .avi or Flash movies.

Apparently not all sound cards can record from the speakers. This worked perfectly on my old computer, not on my new Dell. Not sure if it's card makers cheapening their products or the malign influence of the RIAA.

There are a few tweaks you need to make to the finished html, see the web page.

Paid programs offer more features and convenience, you may want to go that route if you're doing a lot of recording, but this program works and is free.

Collapse -
have a look at this
by Noizxland / March 4, 2008 10:16 PM PST
Collapse -
my vote for best screen recorder
by ellen.pierson / June 27, 2008 12:30 PM PDT

After downloading and evaluating a dozen or so of these products, I finally purchased Abra from Sentry Works which you can get from their website at http://www.sentryworks.com. You can also download a free version (personal edition) from download.com, but the version on download.com seems to be a bit older and missing some features that can be found from their website.

Here are some of the best features in my opinion:

1. You can export to either FLV or SWF. When you export to FLV, the product generates an HTML launcher file that can be used to launch the built in Flash Player for playback. The playback is done at fullscreen so it looks identical to the way it was recorded rather than all scrunched down.

2. The product includes a scheduling program which is a neat feature that no other product seems to have. You simply tell it when you want to start recording a computer, you can even record daily, weekly, or monthly or just start recording now using the scheduling program. The best part is that you can automatically export to FLV and then have the recording sent directly to an FTP site. This makes it easy to just record what you want and then the FLV and the HTML launcher are transfered to the host. You can simply click on the HTML file and bingo you are viewing the recording immediately on the web in Full Screen exactly as it was recorded.

3. You can also use the Screen Recorder Editor that comes with the product to crop the exact portion of the recording into a new recording so that only that area shows. You can do this through Edit->Crop.

4. You can also resize a recording in the editor using Edit->Resize if you want to cut the size of the recording in half. For example, you can cut a 1024x768 recording into a 512x384 size with little distortion if you select the best option for resizing. These options are very useful, and the product is great for building recordings that can be played on youtube.

5. I liked Camtasia but found the product very buggy especially when recording things running on the computer that caused a lot of screen updating to occur. I don't know how Sentry Works does it, but the performance is definetely the best of any product that I tested and appears to be very stable.

6. The Screen Recorder Editor is very easy to use once you get the hang of it. It is especially easy if you have ever used Windows Movie Maker since it looks very much like it.

7. You can add audio from a microphone very easily using the Editor. I would highly recommend getting a good USB mic with a preamp. The cheap desktop microphones with no preamp result in poor sound. You can also add picture in picture although I have not tried that yet.

8. The price is definitely right at $99 for the Professional version which you can only get from their website. This is much cheaper than Camtasia or Adobe Captivate or other comparable products. The professional version appears to be the same as the free version, but the free version only allows you to save 20 seconds of a recording in the Screen Recorder Editor.

You cannot beat this product for price, performance and features. It gets my vote for best screen recorder.

Collapse -
hypercam
by mementh / June 27, 2008 3:22 PM PDT

I use hypercam for recording video in Runescape when i play (yes i am a newb)

Collapse -
some recommendations from mashable
by ITpsycho / July 9, 2008 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: hypercam
Collapse -
SnagIt , Camtasia , Jing
by Zangoole / July 19, 2008 9:55 PM PDT

if you want to take screen shots there is nothing better than SnagIt
but for video recording Camtasia and Jing are very cool.

Collapse -
Total Screen Recorder
by peco123 / February 11, 2009 2:55 PM PST

i am using total screen recorder,very simply and easy to use,no leg happens,quite good

Collapse -
dont need software
by toxicchubakka / February 11, 2009 11:05 PM PST

you dont need software to do that all you do is hit ctrl + printscreen
open paint hit ctrl + v
and wa la

Collapse -
Reccommendation...
by weemanpaul1 / February 20, 2009 4:51 AM PST

I would not reccommend HyperCam as unless you buy the full verison there is a white rectangular area on the top left of your video. SnagIt is a good product as I used to use it when I done screen recording.

Collapse -
Best Screen Recorder
by Simon Simple-One / February 10, 2010 1:28 AM PST

Camtasia (screen recorder) takes a lot of beating, but it's expensive and you do require a good powerfull PC to obtain the best results. Some people may find it "fiddly" to use. There are one or two programs that are very similar to the older versions of Camtasia, so try downloading various demos first.

Snagit is a screen capture program, this too is amongst the best, and worth looking at.

I have download many similar programs, but Camtasia is, in my opinion, better than the rest.

Collapse -
best screen recorder program?
by gailey78545 / February 14, 2010 8:58 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.