Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Best scanner for books and magazines?

by emkj / April 8, 2011 11:48 AM PDT

I'm looking for a good scanner to convert my library of certain books and magazines into OCR'd PDFs, so something that can run b&w or grayscale text images quickly, has a frame that's flush to glass plate, a lid that's easy to get out of the way for thick books, and maybe an bigger than 8.5"x11" scan area would be ideal.

Up until now I've been using an Epson Perfection 1240U, which has a 8.75"x12" scan area, but is slow and noisy to run continuously. Plus the underside of the glass is in pretty bad shape. (I don't want to risk taking it apart to clean it until I have another scanner to take it's place.)

So, if anyone here has had good experiences with a particular scanner doing this kind of work, I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best scanner for books and magazines?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best scanner for books and magazines?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry but this area is full of road stops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2011 3:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
I have the same issue, and have decided on the camera method
by ParrotSlave / May 18, 2011 5:34 AM PDT

To avoid damage to the spine of books, as well as ease in getting overly large books scanned, using a camera makes the most sense. One good website devoted to that method is at http://www.diybookscanner.org/. I have an old Canoscan 8400F, which still works, and, contrary to Microsoft's occasion notifications that it is incompatible with Vista, actually works with Vista. But it is extremely awkward to use for any large projects. I have decided to go with the camera method, and am looking for the perfect camera to use to scan some 50+ year old fragile paperbacks. I would prefer a camera that is tethered, but I have been informed that I cannot control the focus via the tether, so I am hoping to get info on a camera that has a remote that can control the focus if necessary, and can be tethered, so I can see a preview on the pc screen and record directly to my pc. Then I could either make pdfs out of the images, or run ocr on the images. I doubt that the ocr route would work, since I would have to re-read every one of the books to correct the typos.

Collapse -
Destructive, but effective and faster
by Lamed_Vavnik / August 5, 2012 4:49 AM PDT

Hello,

The best way I have devised to scan a book was born out of necessity, but is destructive of the hard copy, although not obliterative.

1. Use grips to hold a book to a piece of wood or a workbench with at least a third of an inch of the binding extending out beyond the cutting surface lined up straight with the edge of the board or workbench.

2. Use a jigsaw with a sufficiently long blade or a circular saw and saw through the book along the straight line.

3. Remove the grips and separate the covers from the rest of the pages.

4. Make sure the pages are even towards where the binding was cut.

5. Scan the cover on a flatbed scanner and save into a common directory.

6. Utilize the OCR / PDF scanning software of your choice that is most compatible with your scanner and operating system.

7. Load the book into the autoloader on the scanner (obviously, this assumes you have access to one). Most autoloaders will not accommodate an entire book. So, I suggest scanning the book by chapters.

8. Compile the book into a single unified .pdf with OCR text behind the image as well as chapter specific .pdf files with OCR text behind the image.

9. Duct Tape binding on the hard copy! It fixes book boo-boos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.