PC Applications forum

General discussion

Best registry cleaner?

by Marie Boyer / July 25, 2005 9:12 PM PDT

Ever since receiving advice re: removal of AOL, I have been in search of the best registry cleaner. I am willing to pay for the product, although I see many freebies offered and recommended. Where the software will be messing with the registry, I want to make sure it is a reliable program. Can you tell me the best program? (HelptoGo recommends "CCCleaner" and "EasyCleaner"). I see "Registry Mechanic" recommended quite often as well.

I have "One Button Checkup" with my Norton Systemworks, but I eventually want to remove Norton from my computers. Another reason I need to know the best registry cleaner!

Thanks so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best registry cleaner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best registry cleaner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Best registry cleaner?
by Tufenuf / July 25, 2005 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Best registry cleaner?

Marie, You may get many opinions on this but I have been using RegCleaner 4.3.0.780 for many years on both Windows 98SE and XP and it's never given me any problems. It's available for Free at the link below.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/RegCleaner_d460.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Reg cleaner
by phil66 / July 26, 2005 6:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) guys, two follow-up questions:
by Marie Boyer / July 26, 2005 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Reg cleaner

Can you use two registry cleaners at the same time? I downloaded "CCCleaner" to give it a try. It had a simple user-interface.

After cleaning everything, I notice that in "regedit" my program files (from old uninstalls) are still listed in the registry. CCCleaner did not remove these folders in the registry. Is that something I need to learn how to remove myself? (Can you recommend a book? Do I need to hire a geek? Or can I simply ignore these folders?)

p.s. I downloaded TweakUI and it does not seem to address registry removal. (Someone recommended it in an earlier thread.) TweakUI seems to simplify the tweaking of various interfaces and accessories within XP.

Collapse -
Registry Healer
by phantazy / July 26, 2005 11:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reg cleaner
by phil66 / July 27, 2005 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry Healer

Hi Marie

If you are talking about my thread the suggestion was Tweak Now Reg Cleaner not TweakUI.

HTH
Ray

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I second on Registry Healer
by FrankQTran / July 27, 2005 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry Healer
Collapse -
Reg cleaners
by dlsimo / October 8, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

I've used both Tuneup Utilities and Registry First Aid for a couple of years and I'm quite happy with them. TU is safer and has a quick 1 click cleaner which is very convenient but does not clean quite as much as RFA. When first using RFA, you'll need to check the files to be sure they are not needed but after that, it's pretty thorough and safe

Collapse -
Registry Booster from Uniblue
by bryanv3 / July 10, 2006 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Reg cleaners
Collapse -
Can't uninstall Registry Booster
by fixxit / November 16, 2006 1:28 PM PST

I installed "Registry Booster" and did not like it.

It only cleaned up 15 problems and they won't clean up any more until I purchase it.

Every time I boot up they keep hasseling me to purchase the software.
There is NO UNINSTALL program for this software and no listing in the index or contents to uninstall it.

Beware... this is ZOMBIEWARE !
You can't kill it.

Collapse -
Add/Remove Programs
by mujilakama / January 12, 2007 12:46 AM PST

Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. You can remove (uninstall) it there.

Collapse -
Can't Uninstall Registry Booster, either
by frolicandetour / February 19, 2007 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: Add/Remove Programs

I also got the free version of Registry Booster. It does not have an uninstall selection in the programs menu, as claimed in the FAQ on Uniblue's website. I went to Add/Remove Programs, but it doesn't seem to be listed there.

Is there a list of the changes somewhere that were made when it was installed so that I can manually uninstall it?

Collapse -
lol
by seth1337 / May 7, 2007 3:29 PM PDT

1. Right-click Start, hit explore and erase the program directory
2. Run CCleaner
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!

Collapse -
Thank you
by jhalle / May 26, 2008 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

Thank you so much for the advice about uninstalling Uniblue Registry Cleaner...what a scam. I have one computer being repaired because of another registry cleaner that appeared on my desktop.I couldn't uninstall it, and it caused a great amount of damage to the hard drive after dumping a Trojan.It even created a blue screen with bugs on it.My advice would be to not respond to alerts that say your computer is "being attacked"....and would you "like to download a free program".Uniblue is only one of many free download scams that will cost you big bucks in repairs unless you buy the program.Thank you again for the excellent advice. Jayne

Collapse -
PLEASE!! CAN'T uninstall Uniblue Registry Booster 2
by massageps / July 19, 2007 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Add/Remove Programs

Can anyone please help me with this? I can't seem to get Uniblue Registry Booster 2 UNINSTALLED!!! Went to add/remove and it says "Uniblue is still running (which it is NOT that I can see). "Please close Uniblue and then uninstall."
Something is wrong here. I can't seem to get this program to get off my PC.

I also have a Win Cleaner/Uninstaller program. I went to that, and tried to uninstall the application thru there, and up pops the same identical windows again about "it's still open, and to close and come back and unistall."

What a nightmare. Is it me? Has anyone else had this problem. Please!! I wan't to get this mis-guided download OFF my PC.
Many thanks to all you people behind the scenes who help us newbies.
A

Collapse -
Uninstaller
by pcwiz100 / July 19, 2007 7:39 AM PDT

1) Check in your system tray to see if there is a Uniblue Registry Booster icon. If there is, right-click it and click Exit, or Close, or Shutdown. Anything that will shut down the app. If there is no icon, then proceed below:

2) Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go to the Processes tab. See if there are any processes related to Registry Booster. End them and then try to uninstall

Collapse -
That was it
by Calib7 / July 22, 2007 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstaller

Easy one ... Thanks

Collapse -
Uni-Screw Registry Booster
by elcidspain / April 10, 2008 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstaller

I also made the mistake of installing Uniblue Registry Booster. Being less than impressed by it I uninstalled it at the start page icon. That was when the error message popped up on the start page. I would click the OK button or the close button and it would just not go away. Time after time as I booted up there it was. I followed your advice about getting to the Task Master and then to the process tab and found the little ****** happily nesting. Put a stake through its heart and killed it for good. No more error message. Thank you.

Collapse -
Uniblue uninstallation
by Paulusmc / August 6, 2007 8:44 AM PDT

I can believe all the stories about trying to uninstall Uninblue Registry Booster 2. After trying all other ways I just went to 'search' on windows task bar, entered "uniblue" and when uniblue came up I "deleted" it and it was GONE.....Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Uniblue is a crap!
by Dentonguy / October 10, 2008 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Uniblue uninstallation
Collapse -
unistalling stubborn programs
by stacymliles / March 17, 2008 11:23 AM PDT

Sometimes the uninstaller of a program becomes currupted or removed.
Reinstalling the program will allow you to obtain the original UNINSTALLER and you can now safely remove the program.
If you are getting the message that you need to close a program before you can uninstall it then go to (ctrl/alt/delete and look for the running program then close it.
You should now be able to uninstall the program.
If you don;t want to program to run at startup go to start/ run and type msconfig. go to STARTUP and locate the program there. remove the check mark from the corresponding box and select apply and then OK.
the next time you restart your pc you will receive a notice tellling you that there have been changese made. Place a check in the box you'll see there them select OK.

Collapse -
cant uninstall registry booster 2
by hotballs30 / June 3, 2008 8:54 PM PDT

have u tryed to do a system restore ?? if not it probly help if u did

Collapse -
Ccleaner is the Best.
by pika523 / August 31, 2008 10:25 AM PDT

I'd Recommended Ccleaner. Ccleaner is Easy to use and does it's work Good. It's #1 for me

Collapse -
Registry Fix Removal
by hogndog / June 6, 2007 7:17 PM PDT

In yor post you say there is no application for uninstall? Did you try: Go to start go to control panel go to change remove double click then wait for the page to load. Once loaded find the name of your registry fixer program choose remove? if that doesn't work click on change. You now with this method have two options change or remove click remove. Try that.

Collapse -
Registry Booster has been working for me
by rbsjrx / December 27, 2007 2:56 AM PST

I bought Registry Booster a while back and upgraded to Registry Booster 2 recently. My comments:

Pro: It seems to get the job done. It's very thorough. If it decides to tag something as an error, you have the option to deselect it prior to anything being done. Better still, you can tell it to remember it and never try to delete it again. This is good since I have one installed program that it always wants to erase from the registry.

Con: I agree, the trialware version is simply annoying. The Registry Booster window can't be maximized, so entries in the list of registry errors to be fixed are usually truncated, making it difficult to evaluate whether you want the program to proceed with cleaning them out. It would be great if I didn't have to reboot after each cleaning or if it could run in the background like Diskeeper.

Other comments: Speaking only of Registry Booster 2, it <u>does</u> have an uninstall program and it <u>does</u> show up in the Add/Remove programs list.

Collapse -
Uniblue is a nightmare!
by massageps / July 19, 2007 10:23 AM PDT

I have been trying to get this off of my PC for days! Nothing seems to uninstall it. It appears to be "locked" as one program said; if anyone has any idea how to uninstall this, please let me know.
Many thanks, A

Collapse -
These are crap tools
by Braksus / October 10, 2008 12:49 PM PDT

The programs you listed are rather crappy. Tried many times with no profit.

My list of the tools:

#1 RegistryEasy
#2 RegistryCure
#3 RegistryMechanic
#4 RegSWEEP

First 2 programs available at http://repair.repairandsecure.com
And you can find other 2 at Download.com do not wish to post multiple links here.

Cheers,
Carl

Collapse -
RegCleaner
by trw12 / September 19, 2007 2:54 AM PDT

I just downloaded and installed RegCleaner from your thread link. I decided it's not for me and tried to uninstall it but it doesn't show up in the "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. How do I remove this program? Thank you.

Collapse -
Re: Best registry cleaner?
by Haegens / January 26, 2008 7:10 AM PST
Collapse -
RegCure Actually Does Work
by chapstick1 / January 29, 2008 9:21 AM PST

Ok, I know a lot of people give flak to the registry cleaners, but I used RegCure on my laptop and it worked great. Sped everything up and the boot time is not an issue anymore.

It didn't make it run as fast as a clean install of Windows, BUT, it only took me about 10 minutes from download to done, and I didn't have to bother re-installing Windows.

I bought it after reading the review at http://www.registrycleanerzone.com/regcure-review.html

~James

Collapse -
It's not free anymore!
by flcrist / October 25, 2008 4:57 PM PDT

I tried to download and they wanted $19.95.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.