Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Best "raw" video capture format tape to hard drive?

by brg51 / January 1, 2013 2:35 AM PST

Hi,
I have dozens and dozens of Hi-8 tapes that I have captured videos on with my Sony camcorders. Most are digital but the older ones are analog (my current Sony can play back either so that is not a problem).

I would like transfer (import) the videos on the tapes to files on my hard drive for now (ideally, 1 file per tape) for archival purposes. Then, later, I would like to create DVDs by extracting, editing and compiling just certain parts of the videos.

Therefore, I am wondering what is the best "raw" format I can use to "copy" the native data from an 8mm tape to a file on my hard drive. Since I will be editing them again later to get them into final form on a DVD, I would like a format that is as lossless as possible (I have plenty of disk space so size is not a problem). I'd also like a format that is not proprietary as I may use a combination of Cyberlink, Adobe, and perhaps other programs to do the editing later so I would like to use a format that any of those applications can "read".

Any recommendations would be most appreciated
thanks, bruce

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best "raw" video capture format tape to hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best "raw" video capture format tape to hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks for asking this but I don't have a good answer
by E_Kelly / February 17, 2013 1:56 AM PST

I have the same issue. miles of sony Hi8. I purhcased Pinnacle Ultimate software to edit the movies and a fire wire to transfer from Sony Hi8 to PC. my problems...transfer works but evry 30 seconds or so there is a pause in transfer. THe other issue is the editing software does not open the old .VOB files imported from the Sony Hi8.
thanks for the post.

Collapse -
Answer
got an answer for you now
by E_Kelly / February 18, 2013 12:19 AM PST

Some helpful posts to CNET offered a download of WinDV. Very simple program but it works well to capture Sony Hi8 video from the camcorder and save to computer as AVI codec via firewire. Quality comes out good.

Collapse -
Answer
Nod to trying WinDV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 12:23 AM PST

Other titles that work with that captured content? I'll list them but remember that turning them into "Video DVD" may degrade the result. If you want the best quality, put the captured content as files on DVD and play them with VLC PLAYER. Here's the list.

DVD FLICK
IMGBURN
VIRTUAL DUB (great at clipping off the sections you don't want.)
VLC PLAYER
HANDBRAKE

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.