The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Best Quicken Replacement

by tashman / January 29, 2008 6:06 AM PST

By far the best Quicken replacement is moneydance. This is a java app that runs on linux, mac and windows. No hassles, great developer and it just works. PC Banking, PC Bill Pay, etc. I've used it since 2001 when quicken pulled the sunset bs the first time. I was a quicken user since Quicken 3.0 for DOS. Intuit you blew it.

tim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Quicken Replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Quicken Replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
why does everyone complain about quicken sundown???
by robstak / January 29, 2008 10:04 AM PST

can't you write it off anyway? i hope you r all still using windows 95! lol

-karl

Collapse -
nope linux
by tashman / January 29, 2008 10:25 AM PST

and I have for 3 years now.

Collapse -
because
by mementh / January 29, 2008 1:38 PM PST

because people don't like there programs they PAID for to be considered so old that they are not working...

but the only reason they are not working is because some %#&$# in the corperate office decided he wanted a new gold toilet and made them release a new copy with few to no improvements.

There should be little to no new stuff other then connecting to a bank's server (which was around in 01) that should be new..

Collapse -
Didn't know it expired.
by Renegade Knight / January 30, 2008 3:43 AM PST

When I spend money for something I like to have the use of it for as long as I ever need it. I had no idea my Quicken will expire. I'm not interested in it expiring it. It works as well now as it did when I got it. Just like a hammer it's a tool. So long as it works I'm happy.

Nobody expires my hammer, but software they can just write it into the code. I'll be finding something else when it does expire. I have no desire to feed that piggy more of my money.

Collapse -
The program is called "Quicken", not "Slow-me-down-en"
by pcardout / February 17, 2008 1:12 PM PST

Financial software is very important -- and not something users appreciate having messed up. Intuit was there early
with a good product. I started using Quicken in 1988 in DOS. I am
about to give up. I've been through about 5 forced upgrades.
Each upgrade wastes my time with a learning curve and file management
and provides no functionality I care about. I was paying bills online
in 1988, and I still am.

The upgrade from .QIF to .QFX made some sense, even if it was annoying.

I've also been using Linux for three years to run my entire life.

Quicken is the ONLY program I really need that doesn't run in Linux
natively. Till now I have used CrossOver office to make Quicken run in Linux. It worked for Quicken 2005, but now that I have been forced to move to Q2008 it does not work.

Even if Intuit does not want to support Linux themselves, they should at least feed the Wine community with advance notice of their strategy so that CrossOver works the day a new Quicken is released.

Collapse -
You Asked
by MTN-Mountain / May 2, 2008 11:21 AM PDT

>>why does everyone complain about quicken sundown???

Because we are talking about Quicken supplying updates that stop parts of the software that is working fine from working any longer. Something like my downloading of my portfolio value from Fidelity, which in no way has anything to do with quicken.com, online bill payment, nor anything else that costs Intuit money, has been disabled. It was done by my allowing an update to take place. That is simply evil and wrong.

Collapse -
Why complain? You got to be joking
by RockonChicago / March 10, 2010 5:59 AM PST

About 100 reasons here is a few:
1. Personal use is not a "write off" (you've got to get out more)
2. All software should sunset I guess, MORE WRITE OFFS!
3. Well lets add hardware too -- how about my car and house??
4. It is strong arming extortion.
5. The upgrades are crap -- not even bells and whistles any more. What do you get? Nothing-- that is extortion.

enough?

Collapse -
Microsoft Money 2004
by joedelco / January 29, 2008 11:07 AM PST

I use Microsoft Money 2004, but I found out that Microsoft does the same thing as Quicken. I couldn't access my credit card accounts through Microsoft Money, but I found out that you can manually download the file from the credit card or bank website and automatically import it into Microsoft Money or Quicken just like it did when it automatically updated, with only a little more work.

I was afraid of upgrading to a newer Microsoft Money because I upgraded from Money 2001 to Money 2004 and got the shaft because Microsoft started adding Ads in the program, that I paid for!! You can turn the ads off, but not the ones for Microsoft. They will only bug you as long as the program is supported by Microsoft, so I lucked out when my support ran out. Now I use 2004 and will probably never upgrade. At least for the next couple decades or when Windows no longer supports it because it is a 32-bit program.

Collapse -
I Stopped using Quicken
by timashman / January 30, 2008 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: Microsoft Money 2004

around 2003 when they did the first sunset with version 2001. At that time I was running 2001 in crossover office on SuSE 9.0 if I remember correctly. Even before the sunset I remember when I upgraded to 2001 having to spend 1-2 hours figuring out how to remove all of the ad crap from the display and it never all went away, it was that day that I decided never to upgrade quicken again. Sometime around 2004-2005 I found moneydance because I missed the online banking stuff. I can't say enough about MoneyDance. The developer is a great guy he has a usenet group that he watches and answers questions. I've never paid for an upgrade in four years and yet the product gets better and better. Even the updates are done from within the program, you just check for updates, download restart it, done. Can't say enough. Anyone who doesn't look at this product is missing out. Oh and the stock quotes work great!

tim

Collapse -
Quicken 2008 is buggy and 2005 was working just fine....
by wpatters1229 / February 20, 2008 3:53 AM PST

Is this other software you love have a utility to go and get a Quicken file and import it or do you have to do a whole setup and tutorial before you can use it?

Collapse -
It does import
by tashman / February 20, 2008 11:30 AM PST

It does import, however because of the QIF file format it isn't always just a click and import. I've heard of people having no problem and then others that have a heck of a time. If you goto moneydance.com you can dowload a limited version of the program. All of the features are there it will just allow only 100 transactions to be "entered" This allows you to try the import out and see what you think.

tim

Collapse -
initial testing??
by tegwek / February 23, 2008 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: It does import

My first reaction is not to waste time on crippled s/w. It would be nice to import a couple years of data and test out the reports and get a good feel for it - BTW - I'm still using quicken dos 8 for two differnt businesses - retail / restaurant. For accounting, it worked better than the earlier windows ones.. Guess they were forcing us to go to quickbooks !! Dos 8 - does all the necessary bookkeeping just need to use a little different terminology. I dropped using it for my personal info - then I have to admit somehow lost my data - but had no problem with 8 years of business data - 2 megs of transactions - mainly just check book entries.

Anyone have experience using this for small business? TIA

Collapse -
you can
by tashman / February 23, 2008 8:22 PM PST
In reply to: initial testing??

The import isn't limited. You get 100 manually entered transactions. You can do what you want.

tim

Collapse -
MS Money
by Okeemike / February 27, 2008 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Microsoft Money 2004

I ran into the same problem with MS Money. I finally upgraded to Money 2007 (?) and I'm really not happy with it. They changed the interface, etc, and it doesn't work for me. I'd like to switch to something else, but futzing around with my finances isn't something I like to do.

Collapse -
so I'm not alone!
by GaryGunas / February 27, 2008 2:27 AM PST

the forced "upgrade" to 2008 has overwhelmed me with bugs, and their on-line chat help is astoundingly inept. I have 20 years of data, the last seven years of it current and used all the time. how's the data transfer process over to moneydance? i feel a nightmare coming on....

Collapse -
No your not
by tashman / February 27, 2008 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: so I'm not alone!

I have very basic account needs. The import for me was fairly easy. I have seen posts from others where it doesn't go so well, but get hooked up with the support email list and the programmer Sean is very responsive to users as well as other users who have been through it. Worst case, download the preview try the import and if it just doesn't work to your likely you've only lost some time. If you have any problems getting hooked up with the support mailing list let me know maybe I could help.

The other option would be to just keep quicken around to lookup old stuff and start using moneydance going forward.

tim

Collapse -
thanks!
by GaryGunas / February 27, 2008 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: No your not

I'll try it. Good idea.

Quicken phone support just told me, "Yes it's correct that none of your saved reports from Q 2005 will work with Q 2008; you have to re-create them all one by one, line by line". Stunning!! Stunning! They were SO good once! It's like the fall of Dell all over again.

Collapse -
Totally OT
by satoauto / February 27, 2008 4:07 AM PST

Totally Off topic, but every time I scan this message, I see Best Chicken Replacement.......I must watch too many cooking shows. Sorry back to finances.

Collapse -
Mmmmm
by Slikkster / May 2, 2008 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Totally OT

Tastes like Quicken!

Collapse -
If you don't mind a little cloud computing
by Slikkster / May 2, 2008 9:01 PM PDT

Rafe Needleman gives great kudos to Mint (http://www.mint.com). PC Mag gives it the "best free financial software" plug, as well. Apparently they use a 3rd party password storage service used by major banks, as well, for those concerned about security.

Collapse -
mint is intuit product now?
by gschesel / June 4, 2011 3:07 AM PDT

What good is Mint now that it has been acquired by Intuit/Quicken?

Collapse -
can you say check writing????
by Deborah Lloyd / July 10, 2011 8:08 AM PDT

Arguably, not a problem for 90% of my bill paying, put still.

Collapse -
Quicken can be returned to Costco
by Laugh133 / January 11, 2011 2:35 AM PST

Good Thing Quicken has a great return Policy. Bought 2011, and now they force you to register in order to use online banking. Registered with Dummy informtion. Taking it back to Costco. They won't get money out of me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.