Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Best Program for a Newbie to Create Flyers and brochures?

by Brian_McGuane / November 1, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

What's the best Windows program to use for creating my own brochures?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Program for a Newbie to Create Flyers and brochures?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Program for a Newbie to Create Flyers and brochures?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not use what you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 6:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Brian_McGuane / November 4, 2010 5:37 AM PDT

Thanks Bob!

Collapse -
Several ways to create brochures
by tornio / November 12, 2010 3:15 PM PST

Hi Brian, read your post with interest cause I'm a graphic designer and use Adobe CS3 and Corel software products. However, in your case, I would use Microsoft Publisher, that one that comes bundled with Microsoft Word. That program has quite a few templates for your choosing. When you get up to speed with publisher, you might consider the Adobe suites. Adobe Illustrator is excellent for brochures,Indesign for designing books, etc. Photoshop for photograph tweaking and you can do just about everything on the Creative suite by Adobe. If you're in college you can get a damn good deal on the website on the software I've mentioned so far and more. Check it out. Have a good one. Tonito

Collapse -
Publisher - Yes, Seriously
by JHowry2010 / November 28, 2010 11:12 PM PST

For an entry level Windows program, Publisher is actually not all that shabby. It'll give you all the options you need, plus it's easy to get hold of with Microsoft Office.

If you want something more substantial, I personally find InDesign quite intuitive to use, (more so than Quark Xpress) so a free trial on that might convince you to purchase Adobe's CS. I'd highly recommend finding a student to buy it for you, though, because those price tags are horribly expensive...

But yeah, Publisher. Seriously.

Collapse -
Try first Windows Publisher
by sorenatsma / December 25, 2010 11:42 AM PST

Publisher has ready-made built-in templates where you just choose what project you are making e.g. Calendars, Brochures, Leaflet, Newsletters etc...
You can easily edit the page elements like texts, images, illustrations, graphs etc. much like using Word application.
Overtime, as you see its limitations(many), upgrade your taste to what the Pros and The Big Boys do. Learn Adobe InDesign.

Collapse -
Microsoft Publisher
by sandraseeves / March 9, 2011 3:20 PM PST

MS Publisher is easy to use even for newbies.

Collapse -
Best programme for a newbie
by IevaRats / July 4, 2012 9:34 PM PDT

Well I offer you choosing Corel, it takes you less time to do the same things than with Photoshop.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.