Peripherals forum

General discussion

Best printer for occasional use

by cathaven / November 30, 2008 1:35 AM PST

I've always had Epson printers. Generally, I like them, but....

They have a problem, which is actually mentioned in their manual. You have to use them regularly, or the heads clog up!

I want good quality B&W & colour printing. Acceptable photo printing.... pretty much all the things any home user wants, but what I DON'T want is to attempt to print something & find the heads are clogged because I didn't use the printer for a month or so.

I've never seen this issue mentioned in printer reviews & was wondering if anyone has ever tested various brands for it?

I would love any suggestions as to what printer i could buy that would not require me to use up trees pointlessly, just to keep it running.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best printer for occasional use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best printer for occasional use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm thinking old school.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2008 2:07 AM PST

Back when we couldn't afford color printers we went to Kinko's.

Collapse -
by Phil Crase / November 30, 2008 2:13 AM PST

Hewlett Packard would be my choice, there are many from which to choose.If you want an all in one, the HP 6380 would be a good choice. Good luck!

Collapse -
Ink vs laser
by Willy / November 30, 2008 11:19 PM PST

When you buy a new inkjet type prtr. stay away from Epson models, they tend to clog all too soon vs. other brands. You should look at Canon or HP models and find what suits you. Whatever, for more $ look into a laser prtr. there are several in the low cost area and will not be effected by clogging issues. Provided its use is basic and general(home use, right) it should provide long term usage and overall be cheaper to operate, though initial cost is higher. Even now at this time of the season, you're bound to find great pricing on lasers. However, if you find ink better because of cost, I did mention, laser. Again, many a prtr. is being at good pricing now, so look around. Remember, cheap is cheap, so beware.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Clogging printers.
by cathaven / December 1, 2008 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Ink vs laser

Thanks everyone for the advice. My personal experience certainly bears out the clogging issues thing with Epsons, so I'm thinking it's time for a change. I will certainly check laser prices, but as I said, I don't print all that often.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.