Car Tech forum

General discussion

best portable dvd player for kids in car

by philsmith / October 2, 2006 11:39 PM PDT

I'm going on a road trip and would like to keep my 3 yr. old son entertained--I have done some basic research on portable dvd players, and think that what I'm looking for is not the basic unit with carrying case, but rather the screen that can be hooked to the back of the headrest.

My other son is 1 yr. old so he won't know what's going on, but might be a good idea to get a two screen unit.

From what I've seen, it doesn't look like there are really any high end, good quality/solid value portable players out there--lots of bottom end names like Emerson, Coby, etc.

Your comments and suggestions much appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best portable dvd player for kids in car
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best portable dvd player for kids in car
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I went cheap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2006 1:03 AM PDT

I picked up the usual mid 100 buck model and it worked just fine. The 2 screen models were a lot more and I see I could get 2 of the cheap ones if need be. The trips have been fine and the unit is certainly not the best but then again works and I didn't shell out a lot of cash for a "best" solution.

Bob

Collapse -
What we did......
by Joey Motu / October 15, 2006 4:19 AM PDT

We do serveral road trips each year...we got the Virgin brand (from Target)
http://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Pulse-Portable-10-4-Screen/dp/B0000A4XR2
it's a big unit that straps between the seats, but has a 10" screen. NOT very portable(you will need to buy the case) But it's our son's TV when we arent traveling. Its got a cable hook-up for tv, playes mp3, regular cds, radio and has great RCA-in for xbox, and other games.

Collapse -
Car DVD-Players...TEST/
by castingRod47 / January 17, 2007 8:49 AM PST

This I think is a good TEST for the purchase of a CAR-DVD Player..
First/
......You need to make your OWN DVD-movie..useing a PC and software..
......adding Music Tracks...some really BASS-Y Stuff will give results..
......If the Store DVD Player will PLAY your DVD..its a very good DVD Player..not having SKIPS/Hang time/..be sure to use a DVD that plays excellantly at the HOME DVD-player..becuase most any DVD Player will PLAY HQ Studio DVD's..Motion Picture Studio's that is..
If you can find a Car Player that Plays your STUFF..that's the one that best on Revolution SPEEDS..which is a mark of HQ.

Collapse -
RE: best portable dvd player for kids in car
by levi_caprino / February 6, 2007 2:37 PM PST

For me, the best car dvd player for kids is a roof-mounted model. Such car DVD players are built into the roof with a tilt-down or swivel screen. They can be tilted to different angles of optimum viewing from the backseat, and folded into the base when not in use. They are perfect for large vehicles, however. More good info on this site. Good luck, man.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.