Cameras

General discussion

Best Point and Shoot for night shots?

by Gelie25 / September 5, 2008 2:56 PM PDT

I have had a horrible time finding a camera that takes good night shots in a club/bar or even just indoors in the evening time.

I had a Kodak Easy Share that I got about 4 years ago, but it finally died and I haven't been able to find as good of quality in other Kodaks or Sony. There is a ridiculous amount of noise and the colors are never true.

I haven't tried a Canon and it sounds like that should have been the camera to get. Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Point and Shoot for night shots?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Point and Shoot for night shots?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Low Light Photography
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 1:26 AM PDT

None of the Point-and-Shoot digital cameras do a good job in low light (without a flash).

The problem is caused by the small size of the cameras.

A small size camera dictates that they have to use a small CCD sensor assembly.
Small CCD sensors assemblies are subject to noise due to the overcrowding of the individual sensors on the sensor assembly.

You either have to wait for a breakthrough in technology or go to a bigger camera.
That would be a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera.

Collapse -
More confused now
by Gelie25 / September 6, 2008 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Low Light Photography

Thank you for your reply. I definitely meant low light with flash. I'm not doing anything fancy...

But this leaves me more confused. My Kodak that had superb night time shots with a flash, was a point and shoot. I can't imagine that 4-5 years ago they had an awesome camera and since technology went down hill.

There has to be a point and shoot out there to take good night time shots...

Collapse -
Sorry For the Confusion
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: More confused now

Most people are wanting to take low light photos without flash.
I assumed you did too.

The answer to your question is not simple.
Cameras are rated by how bright their flash is.
The rating is in feet/meters.
To understand your situation better, I need to know the model number of the Kodak camera you are/were using.

What is the maximum distance you will be from a subject?
Would a wide angle lens be useful?

Collapse -
by Gelie25 / September 6, 2008 12:12 PM PDT

Unfortunately I haven't had that camera in over a year, so I don't know what model it was.

Most of the photos I take are of smiling people about 3 to 5 feet away. As I'm young and go out a lot...many of my photos are taken in the bar/club where it's very dark.

As I've been reading other people's comments, it seems that either a Fiji or a Canon will do the trick - however I've seen some Canon's that have a 'yellowish' tint to their photos and I don't want that either.

Am I asking for too much :)??

It's only because that Kodak camera was so amazing and I'm so dissapointed that Kodak doesn't have anything comprable anymore.

Collapse -
Two Possibilities
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Under the circumstances you describe, I would choose an Ultra Compact camera so that I could keep it in a shirt pocket.

First take a look at the Casio S10.
It is only 0.6 inch thick.
Very good pictures and the flash is strong enough for your type of shooting.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/casio_ex-s10.html

Then look at the Canon SD1100IS.
This camera has image stabilization.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_sd1100.html

Both cameras have very little shutter lag and fairly quick flash recovery time.

The reviews are several pages long.....be sure to read all the pages.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Gelie25 / September 7, 2008 4:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Two Possibilities

Thanks for all the info!

Collapse -
Low Light Considerations
by PhotoAnimal / September 8, 2008 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Two Possibilities

I would definitely look for the newer cameras with Image Stabilization. It helps when your hands are not steady. I'd also look for ones with face recognition if that is what you are taking pictures of. That said, the Canon SD1100IS would be a good bet.

Collapse -
Flash Factor
by JayMonster / September 8, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

When looking for a point and shoot with flash, I almost always look for one of two options

1. Hot Shoe Flash - This is usually on higher end (also called enthusiast models), these cameras allow you to add a real flash unit the camera (though often the flash cost as much or more than the camera itself)

or

2. A Camera with a pop-up type Flash unit (like the Canon S5 or the Panasonic DMC-FZ28). These types of flashes give a better throw than the often cheesy flashes on many ultra compact models, and are less prone (it doesn't eliminate, just improves) red eye in shots.

Collapse -
Best Point and Shoot for night shots?
by udornthani2 / September 8, 2008 8:03 AM PDT

You might like to see the results from the Olympus 1000 that can shoot at ASA equivalents as high as 6400. But that will give you a noisy picture. If you don't enlarge too much, it's okay. Shoot at 1600 ASA and the pix look better. As I recall, my Stylus 1200, with larger sensor also goes to 6400, but I haven't tried that.

My new Olympus 570 does some nice night work, but I've used it at night only on a tripod. I'll send to you samples of those if you e-mail me at udorn02@optonline.net
I might be able to find my old 6400 ASA Stylus shots to send to you too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.