Cameras forum

General discussion

best photo editors?

by carey345 / July 14, 2008 5:50 AM PDT

umm tell me the best kinnd?

im an aspiring photographer ( im anameuture)
and i used adobe photoshop 8.0
and CS3
and corel paintshop pro
but imgetting SO sick of it!

and besides doing like a lot ofpictures at one time, whats so great about lightroom?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best photo editors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best photo editors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would be sick too
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / July 14, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: best photo editors?

Trying to learn that many different programs would drive me nuts. Most pros use CS3.

Collapse -
by carey345 / July 15, 2008 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I would be sick too

lol its not learning them that bothers me

it when after i learn it i relize how useless it is...

thank you!!!

Collapse -
Not to be a wiseass but...
by JayMonster / July 15, 2008 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: oooohhhh

If you find CS3 "useless" you simply do not know how to use its functionality. CS3 can be called many things... bloated, slow, confusing... but NOT useless.

My guess though is that you perhaps want something that is more about "fixing photos" and less about all the other artistic tools that get crammed into some of these packages.

If that is the case, then perhaps you should try and download the new LightRoom beta, since it is intended to be a tool made "for" photographers and not necessarily graphics artists (which tools like CS3 and some others are).

I am assuming based on your list you are running Windows. If that is not the case, then of course you could also consider Apeture 2.

Collapse -
Look at PhotoImact X
by darbhc / July 14, 2008 10:20 PM PDT

I use Photoimpact X3 and have found it is one of the easiest simplest photo enhansing program you can use. I feel has all the progamming that Photoshop contains

The program has two editing sections "Full Edit" and "Express Fix"

Web Site
You can download a "Trial Version?"
But! Check your System Requirements
I know it will not allow you to install on anything before XP

Full $69.99 USD
Upgrade $49.99 USD

Collapse -
by carey345 / July 15, 2008 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at PhotoImact X

ohh ive tried that one too! i forgot to namee itt

yeahh i kinda like that one - thats the one where u can add lighiting and such?

its a really nice editor but not for my tastes..

Collapse -
If it's free, it's for me.
by Mark Szymanski / July 18, 2008 12:24 PM PDT

I use the Gimp whether I'm running windows (at work only) or openSuse Linux. It's often been called a Photoshop killer and I don't know about that, but it does everything I need to do and there are plenty of tutorials out there when I want to try something new.

Collapse -
Re:best photo editors
by edlphotographics / July 18, 2008 1:41 PM PDT

use cs3. It will do everything you need and more. Or find a program that works for you. I'm a professional photographer meaning I make a living off of my photography. But my best advice is take great photos first and not spend a ton of time in PS. By the way I use GIMP and Faststone. It isn't the tools it's what you do with them.

Collapse -
by richteral / July 18, 2008 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:best photo editors

It is about picture-taking skills to start with. You cannot make a silk purse etc. Even with a magic software it's the dummy sitting in the chair who decides the outcome.

Collapse -
Al Richter
by albienose / July 28, 2008 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Quite

You must be a great man, with such a great name! Happy
Regards, Al Richter ( Have a nice day and a super life.

Collapse -
Great advice!!!
by tuckdog61 / July 31, 2008 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:best photo editors

I agree with you. I could not figure out PhotoShop and did not want to spend time "fixing" my pictures. I try to take a great picture "all" the time.

Collapse -
Raw therapee could be the answer...
by skooal / July 18, 2008 4:55 PM PDT

I can't really understand really how it is possible not to get what you want from CS3 since it is only short to do the dishes from you, so I will put it down as being a matter of taste... can't help it, if you don't like using a software, I understand...

You should have a look at rawtherapee, you can find it here:

and it's free... it's kind of a lightroom...

Collapse -
Raw Therapee...
by andrewgraemegould / March 16, 2010 8:18 PM PDT

Have just come across this thread on a Google search.

Some time has passed since it was written. In my case, recent attemps to use Raw Therapee on a Vista Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz PC have had this program continually crash.

I can not find any good freeware RAW converter. I now use Adobe Lightroom only.

All the best...

Collapse -
Two suggestions
by ekent / July 18, 2008 9:42 PM PDT

As an editor whose job includes commissioning photographs for publication, I have two suggestions if you're serious about making money in photography.

First, learn to love Photoshop. You'll need that skill wherever you work.

Second, learn grammar and spelling. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but the few words you'll need to write captions, proposals, etc. better be in good English if you expect to be taken seriously.

You aspire to a highly competitive profession, and you should aim to be the best. Start out with a college degree and a job in photography. There are millions of free-lance photographers out there, and while a very few make a decent living, most don't earn enough to buy their next meal.

Collapse -
Sounds like you're trying different formats
by jthelw / July 19, 2008 3:56 AM PDT

I am very, very amateur, but I don't play favorites with my photo editing software. It's been fun putting the various programs through their paces to see what they can do. I like the ease of Photoshop Elements for general everyday editing, but for example, Paint Shop Pro is unbeatable for redeye removal.

So don't be afraid to use the best elements of several programs to get the results you want.

Collapse -
PHOTOSHOP -- review some pro sites and usage
by Leighow / July 20, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

Photoshop is huge and I use about 1% of its capabilities. Also, I find that PS "HELP" does little to demonstrate its capabilities (I may have skipped over the tutorials!).

I recommend that you start to review -- in your area of photographic interest --the on & off line literature and study what the pros are doing with PS.

IF your interest is Landscape Photography, check out Michael Reichman's "Luminous Landscape"

Anyway, photograohy is a life hobby. Enjoy.

Collapse -
Good photo tools
by LostValley / July 20, 2008 4:36 PM PDT

I use Corel PhotoPaint for its excellent abilities when dealing with only a few (up to 20) photos. I also use JASC PaintShop Pro when I wish to batch hundreds of photos.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.