Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

iPhones, iPods, & iPads

Question

Best phone to sync with Outlook?

by anna_99 / December 4, 2011 10:51 AM PST

Hi, I run a business where I need to use an appointment book. I want to move from a paper based book to a compuer calendar. I want to be able to check messages remotely and book appointments on to the calender using a mobile phone, and then have those appointments automatically appear on to the work computer without me having to plug the phone into the computer (so that the other staff in the office are automatically informed etc.). I would also need the reverse to happen (be able to book an appointment on the computer and have it appear on my phone).
I have looked at google calendar and Outlook and decided Outlook is most suitable, now I just need to purchase a new mobile phone for the business... will the iPhone do this for me? Or do I have to get an Android/Windows phone for this to work? I would appreciate any advice, thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best phone to sync with Outlook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best phone to sync with Outlook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
best mobile phone for huge Outlook file (many categories)
by gasepe / April 7, 2012 3:46 AM PDT

Windows Mobile 7 DOES NOT SYNC to Outlook. How ridiculous that they don't support their own files?

I lost lots of data when I tried using Windows Live Hotmail account.

Any other phone platform that will syn without losing category data for over 1000 contacts?

Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2012 6:39 AM PDT

It appears someone will need to write a better contact app. I see the Android stock contacts is a step backwards in this area.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's not the phone, it's the apps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2011 11:04 AM PST
http://www.markspace.com/ gives you a look at the sync app, and a calendar widget.

But I fear you want to pay someone to tell what you want and then have it done. It's a shame that calendaring is still a mess.
Bob
Collapse -
Answer
In my opinion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 4:08 AM PST

It's not as much of the applications as the operating system of the phone that will be the deciding factor for the OP. I suggest looking into a Windows Mobile phone to ensure the easiest integration between the phone and Outlook.

Collapse -
I wrote apps for Windows Mobile.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: In my opinion

That platform was taken out back and buried by it's maker. Sad because it was very very close to what some needed (after you installed SBP shell).

There are some discussions about Windows Phone and it's not pretty.
Bob

Collapse -
I thought...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 6:29 AM PST

that there was a new generation of Windows Mobile devices coming to the market, but I guess I was mistaken.

Collapse -
Ever walk the plank?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: I thought...

I almost had to after we used Windows Mobile for a new system. Android showed up 6 months later and now this.

Collapse -
Answer
blackberry is the best for you
by Cola56 / December 18, 2011 12:06 PM PST

as we know,blackberry can be work well for business ,its BBM is very good.and it can easily sync with outlook.

Collapse -
I see a possible plank in your future.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 12:09 PM PST

RIM's excesses last month were in the news. And AFAIK continue to alienate developers. After all the trouble they put us through they are about to pull the plug and let the playbook have Android.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Outlook = Microsoft = Windows Phone
by meteoricone / February 5, 2013 4:06 AM PST

Windows Phone(s) sync perfectly with Outlook (I've owned 3). Don't be fooled by all the members of the Appoid cult. If you want fun and games, go with iphone or Android. If you need to take care of business, go Windows Phone.

Collapse -
Must be nice to go through life with those blinders on, eh?
by Pepe7 / February 5, 2013 11:22 PM PST

I always love posts like these. You know, the one's that reek of B.S.

FWIW, there are plenty of firms who utilize iPhones (various models, btw) to sync w/ Outlook/Calendar/etc. Windows Phone? Not so popular in the business world.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.