Phones

General discussion

best phone for a weak coverage area (ATT)

by 67bigblok / July 25, 2008 12:07 PM PDT

I'm new here but I have been trying to read some of the older posts before typing this out. I'm looking for a better phone to help with my crappy att service at my house. I have a nokia 6085 and it's terrible. I lose signal and drop calls all the time. They sent a another but it does the same thing, just not as bad. So I was looking for something that might have a pull out ant. or might just see what you guy's think. I was looking at an LG CU500 or..... Thanks Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best phone for a weak coverage area (ATT)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best phone for a weak coverage area (ATT)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
verizon?
by hangupanddrive / July 25, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

forget about buying a new phone! drop your wireless service at&t. go verizon and all your problems of drop cell phone calls will be solved. can you hear me now? great!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Borrow this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2008 12:52 AM PDT
http://www.pantechusa.com/web/guest/c300

At first I dismissed this unit but a few (just 3?) people have this and think it works better than the others. Sorry I am just sharing and can't refund any money you spend to try it.
Collapse -
ugh
by 67bigblok / July 26, 2008 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Borrow this one.

thanks for the replies. I would like to drop it it but They are hassling me about the the big cutoff expense. Trying to get them to cut a little especially after they told me we would have great coverage in my area.

Collapse -
My phone.
by anthonyh7472 / July 26, 2008 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ugh

I also live in an area with poor coverage. My girlfriend has a Samsung and has to go outside to make a call. Even then her phone drops calls. The phone I have is a Sony Ericsson W810i. I always have bars even inside my house. I don't believe they sell this particular model anymore, but they have the W580i which might work well. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a phone, or willing to pay. Ask if you can try one for a few days to see how well it does in your area. Good luck!

Collapse -
SERVICE!
by hangupanddrive / July 26, 2008 9:08 AM PDT

IF OR WHEN YOUR CONTRACT IS UP WITH AT&T, STOP TRYING DIFFERENT CELL PHONES AND GO WITH VERIZON. MOST OF THE TIMES IT'S NOT THE PHONE, BUT THE SERVICE. TRY THE VERIZON 30,DAY TEST DRIVE TO SEE FOR YOUSELF. GOOD LUCK

Collapse -
cell phone service in rural areas
by lindahntx / May 28, 2010 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: SERVICE!

I live in a rural area, where landlines are owned by Verizon. You'd think I'd have good cell service wouldn't you? Oh well... people quit advertising for Verizon! My cell phone service with them expires in June, and I'm so looking forward to moving to another service. Verizon sucks here!

Collapse -
at&t contract
by plrushing / August 29, 2011 9:27 AM PDT

A contract with any cell service company does not just work one way. It is called a contract which means they will supply you with service and you will pay them for this service. You don't pay them you breached the contract they don't supply you with service, as agreed, they breached their contract with you and you have your right to leave that company for breach of contract. Do not let them bluff you.

Collapse -
Are you serious ??
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: at&t contract

Considering that no cellular company guarantees service your entire rant is baseless.

This thread was started in in 2008 and has run its course. If anyone wants to discuss it further, please start a new thread since this one is now closed due to it's age.

Collapse -
hello moto
by iphlop3g / July 26, 2008 1:21 PM PDT

The v3xx or any razr series provides the best service i've seen in fringe areas.

Collapse -
Razor has BAD signal!!
by TechGirl2009 / April 18, 2009 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: hello moto

I live in a low signal area. AT&T tried to tell me I have 'moderate' coverage in my area. I said 'Look, I live here and I'm telling you we have NO signal' LOL I have a Razor V3xx and my son has a V3. Many of my friends also have Razors and none of us can get a good signal(most of the time no signal at all). If you do get a signal then as soon as you try to make a call or send a text the signal drops. I loved my phone but gotta find a new one because of this.
One friend has a Blackberry and another has a Sidekick... they seem to get decent signal in most places.

Collapse -
yeah, i have that phone
by lindahntx / May 28, 2010 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: hello moto

Yeah, well, I have that phone, and forget it! Drops call, if you can get a call out at all... plenty of time people call me, and it never rings, never lets me know someone's called. And at times, let's me know I have a missed call, but it NEVER RANG!

Collapse -
GREAT TOPIC! THANKS!
by MARKINNYC / July 27, 2008 5:45 AM PDT

I wish CNET would, as a routine part of their ratings/review process figure out some way to include the relative "signal pulling/signal lock" power of various phones. I've spent a LOT of money on cell phones over the years and always seem to live or work in an area where the reception is LOUSY!

At my present home in AZ, I'm just far enough out of the city to pick up AT&T (just barely) on one side of my house and an "AT&T Affiliate Carrier" on the other. (FYI- AT&T has contract relationships with small rural carriers to carry the AT&T traffic as it crosses their area. To the customer it looks like an AT&T cell tower, but in reality, it's NOT! It is the provenance of some small rural GSM operator who's allowed to use an "alternate network ID" which fools your phone into thinking it's grabbed an AT&T tower and connection when in fact it has not. For billing purposes, AT&T pays these little carriers some token amount of revenue per month based on overall minutes of talk time vended out to AT&T customers. WAY below what they'd charge you for it, but at least it provides the rural carrier with some much needed revenue and makes AT&T look as though they offer coverage where they really do not. If you have a "national" plan, there is no roaming and no charge for using the "oddball carrier". However if you make the mistake of calling 411, you'll be patched thru to that carriers 411 contractor - who usually Is NOT the same one AT&T uses. And you'll be billed a couple of dollars per call for having done so. Other than that, there's no charge for using one of these 'affiliate carriers" as long as you don't have a LOCAL ONLY plan. If you do, then you're going to pay roaming rates both per call and per day you are logged into the system and it can get costly.

Anyway, after the above digression to explain the situation I'm in - I would LOVE to know which specific models of phones provide the best ability to pull in a signal when you're on the fringes of the towers range and which ones can, once they've seized a channel, hold onto it for the duration of a call. There are still, sadly, lots of parts of the west where even the biggest carriers have spotty or no service. Knowing which phone will do it's best to cover you in those areas could really be useful info for lots of people.

In Europe, the carriers share tower space with each other. For instance, if you're in Amsterdam and you are standing next to a KPN tower, but you're an "Orange" customer, the KPN tower will carry your call and then at the end of the month KPN and ORange do a debit/credit and reimburse each other for calls carried from the other carrier. This is why in Europe, cellular service is nearly ubiquitous. When we lived in Holland we had service in high rise elevators, in parking garages underground, and in places that you'd NEVER dream of getting cell service if you were in the US.

I wondered why and my neighbor was a senior VP for KPN Mobile and kind enough to explain the main difference in service and how it's provided there vs how it is provided here. In the US, if you are out of range of your own (for instance AT&T) carriers tower, but underneath a TMobile GSM Tower, you will not have service. T-Mobile is NOT about to carry your call for love or money. A very short sighted attitude that AT&T got written into law years ago when the old IMTS Mobile was the only game in town. The old laws still are on the books and are frankly anti-competition yet no one even knows they exist and therefore no one is lobbying to change them.

If these ancient laws were changed and carriers were mandated to carry (where technically possible of course) each other's customers calls, the entire AT&T and T-Mobile GSM Network would more than double overnight! Of course this is the VERY LAST THING that VERIZON wants to see happen for obvious reasons.

Verizon with the CDMA tech they use, is not compatible with anyone other than themselves. (Oops, themselves and Altel if Altel is still around??) So while this possible change in laws/regulations would help the GSM carriers in the US to be better service providers by far, it wouldn't do a thing to boost Verizon's ability to carry calls. Hence they would oppose changing the laws and probably already have done so. Someday the US GSM carriers will ban together and get public support for the change in FCC regs and supporting laws, I hope, and then finally we'll have full national coverage on GSM. But until then, don't count on it once you venture outside a major city limit or too far off of a well traveled interstate highway.

As for those of you who so unkindly recommended changing to Verizon from AT&T, while it may not make any difference to you - but there are lots of us who don't spend our entire lives in the USA. I have a home in Holland that I bought when I worked and lived there and venture back there at least 2 times a year. Lots of other American's travel for pleasure or business or both. GSM is the INTERNATIONAL STANDARD in Cellular Communication. Don't you think there is a REASON that Apple with the amazing success of the new iPhone decided to build the iPhone to GSM standards? If you're an iPhone customer you're using GSM even if you've unlocked your phone and moved off of AT&T. The other choice for iPhone service in the USA is the other GSM carrier, ie: T Mobile. Why would changing to Verizon in the US be a benefit? Verizon uses ONLY older, less utilized, non-standard technology, and they charge slightly more than either AT&T or TMobile for comparable plans and their coverage is just as bad, if not worse in some areas.

A buddy of mine who's an exec for Verizon Mobile once said that they have an inside joke about their company. The joke is that their corporate slogan should be (if there really were truth in advertising required) -- "Verizon - The Company That Brings You Yesterday's Technology, Today, at Tomorrow's Prices - and thinks you should LOVE IT !! "

Yeah, that's what their own execs joke about privately.

OH, BTW - CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? I trust that point was made loud and clear, even if you're on Verizon!

Collapse -
exactly ;)
by Pepe7 / July 28, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: GREAT TOPIC! THANKS!

I am anxiously awaiting what will roll out when they finally migrate to 4G. From the looks of things, both ATT & Verizon may actually be on the same page eventually. Not sure who will be using Wimax for anything other than the backhaul.

-P

Collapse -
weak coverage
by eclip12 / November 1, 2008 5:01 PM PDT

Hello,

weak coverage ?

www.femtocell.com.pl

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.