PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Best PCI graphics card

by damasta55r / February 24, 2005 2:31 PM PST

What is the best PCI graphics card currently available. I am looking at either the 9200SE or the 9250. Can i use these graphics card in PCI Express 1x? Thank you to everyone!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best PCI graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best PCI graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
After updating having good luck w Radeon ATI X 700 Pro
by Rancher5 / February 25, 2005 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Best PCI graphics card

Went from a 5700 Geforce to a X700 and the graphics are clearer on both my LCD and CRT had no complaints with the geforce great card took me a week to finnally get the X700 working properly new 775 chipset is alittle different than old stly boards,for a 200 dollar card so far its a nice card be sure to update to the latest drivers in mobo bios and exspecially graphics cards, Good luck, not many PCI express cards out yet but more every day.

Collapse -
But that card uses the PCI Express 16X slot
by Ray Harinec / February 25, 2005 12:17 AM PST

He asked about the 1X slot, and possibly a standard PCI [not PCI Express] card, I think!

Would doubt it because a PCI Card's contacts ar far longer than the space available in a PCI Express 1X slot. 1X is only a little over an inch long.

Collapse -
Re: PCI Graphic Card
by John Robie / February 25, 2005 5:09 AM PST

Ray is correct. The PCI-Express x1 slot is way too small to hold a PCI card, and I see no one in the future of trying to make a PCI-Express x1 slot video card. The new PCI-Express Video Cards are for a x-16 slot and do not fit an AGP slot or x1 slot.

I believe you are wanting to replace the Integrated Graphics on a Emachine T5026. The 915GV chipset on that machine has PCI-Express x1's, and surely like others has a regular PCI slot to connect a regular PCI video card. You should open the case and see.

As far as PCI video cards, I would choose the Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 or 5500 over the ATI Radeon 9200/9250.

Collapse -
actually...
by GMartin2R / February 26, 2005 4:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re: PCI Graphic Card

some PCI express x16 should fit into AGP slots. thought they were mutually exclusive but apparently they aren't always. my Asus EAX700 pro said on the box that it required either an X16 slot or an AGP 8x slot. i'm using the X16 one but found it interesting that it would work in either slot. i thought i'd read somewhere that at least some X16 cards were designed to be backwards compatable with AGP slots too.

speaking of pci 1x and 4x for that matter, what's the idea behind those anyway? like was stated it's not like a VC is going to go into it; so what goes thtere?

Collapse -
There are 1X, 4X, 8X, and 16X slots.
by Ray Harinec / February 26, 2005 5:12 PM PST
In reply to: actually...

The 4X and 8X are generally only found on server boards. PCI Express are serial busses The 1X has a single serial path the 4 X four serial paths etc. The data bandwidth increases with each additional path. In addition, on a PCI Express bus, data can flow in both directions at the same time. It is a substantially greater bus system.

Parallel busses are on the way out because of the speeds now being used. Sending 64 bits of data from one point on a mobo to another at these speeds is difficult. The bits start out all aligned. By the time they get to the other end [inches away] the bits are getting skewed.

Collapse -
actually
by John Robie / February 27, 2005 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: actually...

I believe Ray covered it pretty well.

I have read that some motherboards have a separate AGP slot and separate PCI-Express x16 slot on the same motherboard. However, not that the PCI-Express x16 card will fit an AGP slot.

Nvidia was able to make an AGP version of their PCI-Express 6600GT video card by using a "HSI (High Speed Interconnect) bridge clip.
Look at the two photos...one a 6600GT PCI-Express x16 card and a 6600GT AGP card.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-02.html

Pray tell, how can you fit a PCI-Express x16 card into an AGP slot.

I also noticed in that write-up, "Perhaps ATI will decide to follow suit and launch a Radeon X700 XT with AGP."

ATI on the
RADEON

Collapse -
hmm ok
by GMartin2R / February 27, 2005 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: actually

maybe that is the case. it did strike me as kinda odd. thought for sure it said it could run in an agp too but for some reason my pile of boxes disapered on me. maybe it was in a non-slot specific card manual that i saw that or something. i'll psot back if i find it...

Collapse -
Best PCI graphics card
by RichMan24488 / April 9, 2005 7:21 AM PDT

I am in the same situationas you, looking at the same graphics card and the Nvidia 5200 256mb. For sure though it wont work with PCI Express. Which should I pick?

Collapse -
Right okay......
by AuBrEy Online / April 9, 2005 7:34 AM PDT

Go for a XFX Nvidia 5200 128 MB, if you get the 256 MB one you will not notice much difference...... since it's a low spec card.... don't even think about the ATi SEs they suck. If you are from the UK try www.overclockers.co.uk

Collapse -
PCI or PCI Ex
by balert2 / April 9, 2005 9:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
OMG I AM SETTING THIS STRAIGHT!
by ozos / April 9, 2005 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: PCI or PCI Ex

OMG is all i can say...this is one of those threads like that...

OK
FIRST OFF
the best existing PCI grpahics card is the GeForce FX 5700LE for PCIE
it is comparable to the Radeon 9550
found here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-140-041&depa=1

that will kill 5200's, 9200's, 5500's, 9250's
it's just better (but some 9200's and 9250's are more expensive as they offer VIVO/better software packages/are just overpriced)

SECOND
PCIe maxes out at PCIE 32x, meaning 32 channels, nVidia's use of PCIE x8 x2 is sort of sad, as it gives each card in SLI a bandwidth of PCIE x8, which is the same as AGP 8x (this is on SLI systems only, on normal PCIE x16 nVidia cards they use all 16 channels)

also, please, please, PLEASE do not put the X600 and the 6800 comparative
it's like comparing a Pontiac Montana to a Porsche 996 Turbo, it just shouldn't be done

to give a list of how the current generation cards, top to bottom, top is best

GeForce 6800U EE SLI($2000 for just vid cards, only from Asus)
GeForce 6800U SLI
GeForce 6800GT SLI
GeForce 6800 SLI
Radeon X850XT PE
Radeon X800XT PE
GeForce 6600GT SLI
Radeon X800XT
GeForce 6800U
Radeon X800XL
GeForce 6800GT
GeForce 6800
GeForce 6600GT
Radeon X700XT
Radeon X700Pro
GeForce 6600
Radeon X600XT
GeForce 6200
Radeon X600
Radeon X300
GeForce PCX 5900
GeForce PCX 5750
GeForce PCX 5300

this is mostly based on THG's VGA Charts V, the 3Dmark05 benching
I added in a few from personal knowledge (they ommited plain 6800's, and the PCX 5300, and the 6800U EE, probably because they are so rare (the U EE))

basically the X700XT and 6600GT are matched
the X600XT and 6600nU are matched
the 6200 and X600Pro are matched
the 6800 and X800 are matched
the 6800U and X800XL are matched
the 6800GT has no place
and the X800XT and above from ATI are the fastest single cards out
and SLI kills all

please
don't use an X600 and 6800 together as a comparison
it's low end to high end

if your buying a new PCIE card I suggest the GeForce 6800GT, as it's well rounded, and offers FP32/PS3.0
which the X800XL does not (sadly, because the X800XL is such a great card that aside)
none of ATi's Radeon X cards offer FP32 or PS3.0

what does this do you might ask?
it means that Radeon X will not be able to play the U3 (Unreal 3) engine to full capacity
which includes A LOT OF GAMES
not just Unreal 3 and UT2k6

Unreal2 has over 100 titles built on it (that were sold) plus countless titles made by average users/at home builders (people who just make games or just levels/scinarios in the U2 engine)

Collapse -
Jaton or Apollo?
by darkxaero / April 18, 2005 8:08 AM PDT

Ok,I am going to buy a PCI graphics card also.However I am confused between two choices.The first graphics card is Jaton Geforce FX5700LE Low Profile and its cost is $15 more than Apollo Geforce FX 5700LE.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-139-166&depa=1

Which one do you think is the better PCI card?

Please,give me some wise advice on this because I dont feel like upgrading again and again.Unfortunately there aren't any comparisions or editor reviews for both graphics cards which makes me confused.

Thanks in advance Happy

Collapse -
they are just OEM's
by ozos / April 18, 2005 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Jaton or Apollo?
Collapse -
Apollo?
by darkxaero / April 18, 2005 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: they are just OEM's

So I should buy the Apollo one?

I just want to get the most out of a PCI card.

Thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.