Laptops forum

General discussion

Best PC manufacturer's warranty/customer service?

by vladaman1 / October 23, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

Hi I'm looking to buy a new laptop and after my HP crapped out on me and enduring their outright TERRIBLE customer service, i realized how important it is to but from a company that values their customers, so i ask you, in your personal experience, who has provided you with the best customer service for your laptop?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best PC manufacturer's warranty/customer service?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best PC manufacturer's warranty/customer service?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are studies on this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2010 11:30 AM PDT

Apple consistently rates highly but I'm finding folk that want out of warranty support. The sad story is that if the warranty is up, we get to pay and pay and pay.

Collapse -
What studies?
by vladaman1 / October 23, 2010 2:08 PM PDT

Could you post a link?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2010 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: What studies?
Collapse -
Costco free 2nd year warranty on computers
by pdbrownrsf / October 27, 2010 2:27 AM PDT

Yes, HP Laptops, in my opinion, crap out before they are 2 years old. We have 3 HP laptops in our family and all 3 have died between year 1 and year 2. Luckily we had Costco's Concierge service which gave us a 2nd year of warranty coverage and best of all you get to deal with Costco and not HP to get the service!! I am also in the market to replace one of the HP laptops and I priced HP's warranties yesterday and they are outrageous--buy a $600.00 laptop and pay $300.00 for the warranty! So, I think we are headed back to Costco but we intend to buy cheap laptops since they just don't last more than 2-3 years. The laptop that HP repaired this summer is now dying again and it's outside the 2 year Costco Warranty. I'm checking out Best Buy too but I think you have to purchase any warranty beyond year 1.

Collapse -
Square Trade Warranty--does anyone have experience with this
by pdbrownrsf / October 27, 2010 2:33 AM PDT

I am also in the market for a new laptop and came across Square Trade as a company that sells warranties for much less than the manufacturer. They appear to have good review, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used them and sent in a laptop for repair.

Collapse -
Please top post this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

That is, create a NEW DISCUSSION.

The question is a good one but deserves it's own discussion.

Collapse -
by taoskier / September 23, 2013 2:41 PM PDT

I love Apple's AppleCare support. But then that's not for PCs. Dell used to be good but now you get support that they practically admit is worthless and turn on the upgrade spiel. I too would like to know which PC maker has the best support.

Collapse -
Well at one time
by orlbuckeye / September 23, 2013 11:10 PM PDT

Asus offered a 2 year manufacturers warranty on some of their products. Costco (any brand) also offers a longer warranty on most of the electronics you buy from them.

The thing about customer service is SOMEBODY has had crappy service with everyone.You read stories where one person has had nothing but trouble from a vendor and another has had superior customer support. Apple tends to rank high in most of the ranking I see. I saw one the other day that ranked Sony number 1 in tech support and Apple and Samsung tied for 2nd.

The best situation is that you never need to use customer service or the warranty.

Collapse -
Laptops are mostly designed by the company
by orlbuckeye / September 25, 2013 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Well at one time

with the name stamped on it but manufactured in Asia or China. Components for those laptops are made by 3rd party companies. The they install Widows or Apple OS. Now Apple has more control over the components used since they are the only company allowed to make Apple laptops. Apple won't have as much mixing and matching of components like with say HP and Lenova where there are completely different component between brands.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.