Desktops forum

General discussion

Best PC for graphic Design?

by jenricae / August 23, 2005 1:26 PM PDT

Hi,
I'm the only graphic designer at my company and have a heavy workload. I do mostly print design and use Adobe CS2 and ms office. Currently i have a Dell Dimension 3000 (Pentium Celleron) computer with 512mb memory, but i find it's too slow for running multiple programs. The computer buyer at my company points to Adobe's "requirements" which state that the software runs on as little as a P3 with 300mb of ram.
My boss has asked me to get some feedback as to what is the ideal spec. for a PC system for my needs.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best PC for graphic Design?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best PC for graphic Design?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That Celeron is about a p3.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2005 1:35 PM PDT

Take a gander at www.tomshardware.com benchmarks and celerons do take a hit.

But look to optimizing by removing spyware, services and such.

Bob

Collapse -
i'd say
by ozos / August 23, 2005 9:44 PM PDT

consider building a machine yourself (if your able to set-up something like that)

I would suggest an Intel Pentium D 820 as an upgrade from the Intel Celeron you have now, it will allow lots of multi-tasking

i'd also consider 1GB-2GB of RAM in dual channel
and a decent graphics card with support for at least two monitors and high quality 2D output (my personal pick would be the Matrox Parhelia 256MB, that's over $500 though, so i'd suggest something of the affordable variety such as the Matrox Millenium P750, or an nVidia such as a card from the Quadro4 or a lower priced Quadro FX)

honeslty if it were me i'd take an Asus PC-DL (after thinking about LGA 775 and AGP 8x boards, and realizing hardly any (if any) exist) with a pair of 2.4GHZ or 2.66GHZ Xeon's, 2GB of DDR
a nice EPS12V PSU
and a Matrox Parhelia 256MB

along with 3 monitors (whatever your comfortable with in terms of size) and good storage

but please consider most of my suggestions are in excess of $2500 for the system

but some of the best photoshop work i've ever seen has come from machines of MUCH less ability than described above
I would suggest searching for spyware/malware and keeping your system clean, maybe upgrading to 1GB of RAM and a PCI graphics card

Collapse -
: Best PC for graphic Design?
by jcrobso / August 24, 2005 4:30 AM PDT

A MAC. John

Collapse -
Macs are so not the go;-buy vector works, or photoshop
by bandicoot2533 / September 5, 2005 8:41 AM PDT

Vectorworks is the best, but photo shop is used by graphical designers. he said that he works at bevans in sydney, and that they use vector works, photoshop elements, and some other ones i can't remember. MACS ARE USELESS, AND HAVE NO POINT OF SIGNIFICANCE ON THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD. IF IT BREAKS, U HAV TO SEND IT TO APPLE TO FIX, WHICH COULD COST ALOT. IF U HAV A PC, U CAN BUY THE PART FROM EBAY, AND INSTALL IT YOUR SELF. THINK ABOUT IT, U SAVE IN THE LONG RUN.

Collapse -
Mac's are way more stable
by keanmind / April 2, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

Mac's are way more stable, and yeah they are more expensive! But you get what you pay for! Macs can be fixed and upgraded just like any other PC its actually easier because everything is plug and play and you really don't have to worry about viruses. Mac's where made for the creative I have a G3 400mz processor and its still running I am using CS3 on it 2g of ram and it works awesome its not as fast as my G5 which in test beats any PC out there right now you can google it if you want, any ways hands down if your a Graphic Designer Mac is the weapon of choice. And if you want to compare PC and Mac good luck! Because that's like comparing A Lexus to a KIA

google it, and do the research because on these forums all you going to get are mac haters.

Collapse -
Mac...whatever
by graphicGoodfel / August 31, 2009 6:12 AM PDT

A Mac is not the solution. I am a graphic design student just finishing my last year and my Mac has been nothing but hell the past 3.5 years I have had it. The hard drive died on me within monthes and it is impossible to fix without paying a sh*tload of money. With all the heavy duty work that i have been doing using Adobe CS4 this piece of junk couldnt handle it. Ive been comparing the 13 inch Macbook Pro to the HP dv7-1426nr and you are getting more with the PC then the mac for half the price. Now you can even make your pc run exactly like a mac with simple downloads in no time. So i dont have the apple symbol on the back of my computer..."oohhh noo"
An up to date graphic design Mac user switching to PC....yes believe it!

Collapse -
Re: mac
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2009 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac...whatever

"The hard drive died on me within monthes and it is impossible to fix without paying a sh*tload of money."

Doesn't Apple have the usual one year warranty?

Kees

Collapse -
by graphicGoodfel / September 1, 2009 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: mac

Yeah and they did replace it for free, still charged me a "50 dollar service fee" and i still have had complications ever since. Often times i heard they replace it with a hard drive that is not so good, a bunch from the dime a dozen.

Collapse -
A new PC with more muscle will do.
by jakem14 / August 24, 2005 9:46 AM PDT

You need a serious powerful PC in order to do graphic intesive computing. What you can do is have a list of peripherals ready before you call DELL or HP or Gateway, etc. to put a system toghether for you.

You might want:

.A 250 Mega Byte, 7200R RPM, 8 Meg Buffer harddisk from Western Digital, Maxtor, or Seagate

.A Video car 250MB Video card: Either an ATI
Radeon X850 XT Video Card, PCIe, 256MB GDDR3

or an NVidia GeForce 7800GTX, 256 Meg of Memory

.An AMD 64 Athlon, 3400+ processor
1 Gigabyte or more of fast system memory

Other peripherals such as sound cards and network interface cards are optional and the vendor will match your system with a good set of such peripherals.

This is the basic requirement if you want to work with graphics. There are other solutions from Matrox, and ATI, and Canopus, but you will be waisting your money and time trying to put and extra expensive graphics system together.

Don't jump at the knee jerk answer of "Get a Mac."
If you do get a Mac make sure that you don't just get any Mac because you will regret it. Make sure that you get the most expensive Mac that Apple offers because it will be fast enough for graphics. You don't need a Mac for personal home creative tasks-very weak-you would need it for rigourous graphic work. Good Luck.

Collapse -
your kidding right?
by ozos / August 24, 2005 11:50 AM PDT

A) Dell does not sell or vend AMD processors
B) the X850XT and 7800GTX are:

A) worlds apart in performance (7800GTX is about 30% faster)
B) 3D gaming cards, which means their not geared for what your doing + they don't even affect graphics work like she's doing
C) amazingly worthless for this application

C) if your using a 250 Mega-Byte hard drive you couldn't even get Windows onto it, however using a 200 Giga-Byte hard drive (GB) you could have a fair deal of space to store windows and around 180~ GB of data

I would suggest reviewing your post, realizing your not talking about periphreals at all, and that your basically talking out your _____ on this

Canopus is designed for commerical grade video editing
ATi is gaming graphics, and low level (entry level only) CAD graphics
and Matrox is professional imaging and multi-display (video wall) stuff

Matrox is what you would want if you could have your pick of any card, your basically suggesting use of a Ferrari with a trailer to move a couch

when you can get a truck for about 1/20th of the price

your suggesting too much power and in the wrong areas

also he is right, getting a mac is the best idea if you want a "no brainer" solution (honestly it is, because that's one of the few things mac's do without question)

also, do not suggest getting the most expensive one they offer
that's around $20,000 for a computer
you can use a $500 Mac Mini with Superdrive and be entirely capable of this task

to the original poster i would suggest avoiding jakem14's advice here...as he is seemingly misinformed on the requirements of what your doing

if your computer buyer is ok with purchasing Apple, I would suggest a Power Mac, mainly because it's upgradeable (more readily) than an eMac or iMac

and please realize it's total overkill

but i'd suggest:

Apple Power Mac G5 Tower
Dual 2GHZ
Base Configuration (512MB DDR, 160GB hard drive, Apple OS X installed, Radeon 9600)
Throw the base LCD on, which is a 20"

total cost is
$2800~
that's rather high
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/73001/wo/HW7UX5dziUC03Fu8JNBFc7VM5jo/4.0.11.1.0.6.3
should link to it

so if you wanted something cheaper (like much cheaper)
consider something from Dell

Dell Precision 380
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=380trec&s=bsd

I would select the following hardware configuration on that machine:

CPU
Intel Pentium 4 630

Windows XP Pro with Media

File System:
NTFS

Hyper-Threading:
Hyperthreading can be set to ON (you can do this yourself, but why spend the 5 minutes when they can do it for you for free?)

Hardware Support Services:
this all depends on your company's IT and their choice

Memory:
go with default 1GB DDR2 533MHZ 4 DIMM's

Tower:
pick the configuration you'd like (this is case configuration)

Keyboard:
USB with Hotkeys

Mouse:
optical with scroll

Ethernet controller:
talk to the PC buyer about this, it depends on your work places network and it's requirements

Hard drive Configuration:
choose option C5, RAID 1 2 drive configuration (this is a back-up method, you will only see 1 drive inside Windows, but everything is mirrored to another drive to ensure back-up in the event of a drive failing (given what your saying your going to be doing, I highly advise doing this))

Boot Hard Drive:
250GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with DataBurst Cache? for RAID

Second Hard Drive:
250GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache?

3rd Hard Drive:
none

4th Hard Drive:
none

Hard Drive Internal Controller Option:
none

External Storage Options:
none

CD, DVD, Read-Write Devices:
16XDVD and 16XDVD+/-RW w/ Sonic DM, Cyberlink PowerDVD

Floppy Drive and Media Card Reader Options:
I suggest getting a floppy drive, but if you need a media card reader to take images off of a digital camera I would suggest getting that instead (unless you have you can re-use)

USB Memory Key:
none

Storage Devices and media:
none

Multi Media Options

Graphics Card:
64MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 285, Dual DVI or Dual VGA Capable

Monitors:
Dell 20 inch UltraSharp? 2001FP Flat Panel, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI (yes I realize it's expensive but the quality is amazing)

Second Monitor:
none

Sound and 1394a:
nothing selected

Speaker options:
select something basic if you like

Printer Promotions:
none

Modem:
none

Networking/Firewall options:
discuss with computer buyer

Productivity Software:
none selected, but if you need one of the listed choose it

Resource CD:
get the resource CD

Security Software:
discuss with computer buyer

Software Management:
discuss with computer buyer (these are all things you have to discuss with them about, to asertain if your network offers security/if they have the software you'll need or if Dell does...in terms of protection)

Energy Star:
doesn't matter either way

Quick Reference Guide:
I would suggest ordering this (while you may never use it, it cannot hurt to have it + it's free)

Digital Content Creation SW - Shipped Seperatly:
if you need one of those listed add it

3D Motion Controllers:
none

Mouse pad:
personal preference, the optical mouse will not require a mouse pad

Adapters:
do you need one?

Wireless broadband router:
i'm guessing no

total cost is $2582
if you need to shave money off that, drop the 20" flat panel monitor
price will deflate to around $1600

if you have any other questions i'd be happy to answer them

Collapse -
What about monitors?
by tedfeely / August 27, 2005 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: your kidding right?

While talking about systems for graphic design, can anyone help with a question about monitors for graphic design. Specifically LCD monitors.

I have heard that manufacturers are holding down LCD costs by reducing the number of colors that they will display. There's evidence for this in that none of the ads I see provide the number of colors displayed.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Specifically, does anyone know a manufacturer who is producing at least 24,000,000 color displays?

Collapse -
and that would be what color mode?
by ozos / August 28, 2005 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: What about monitors?

24,000,000 colors...not familiar with that display mode
and I don't feel like doing the math to find out what __-bit the thing is...

Collapse -
PC for College
by Pat Hohlstein / September 2, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

I am in the process of ordering a PC for my Grand-daughter who is taking up Graphic Design in college. She has to have the Adobe Suite, discounted through the school, plus I would like to order a Dell as she also gets a discount on the computer. I'm totally lost on all the tech talk but I check out these forums to get ideas. jenricae needs a work computer. What would you say I need for my Grand-daughter?

Collapse -
Thank You, my god...
by f3monza / September 3, 2005 3:44 PM PDT

someone who knows what he's talking about.
ozos is totally on the mark here. If there is one thing a mac is great at it't graphics and media manipultion. I don't need to say any more, ozos said it all. I'm a big PC guy, but for easy get it done right now witout any hastle or fuss a mac is the only way to go. Don't believe me walk into most any architectural, enginiering or graphics firm and spy what's on the desk of any one except the resptionist. You'll find a lot of Mac G-5s. Overkill maybe, but going this route, you won't be sorry. Your out of the box ready to rock.

Collapse -
Mac / Graphic Design Related Question
by jben415 / August 11, 2007 9:14 AM PDT

Hi,

I am interested in getting into graphic & web design and I am wondering if I need a new computer. You seem to know more than most of the other yahoos on here, so I'm begging you for some advice.

To run programs like Adobe's Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, etc., do I need a Mac or can I use my PC? I'd be willing to switch to a Mac if it really is better/easier to use. What would be the minimum to get me by without skimping too much.

Ben

Collapse -
You might consider
by ozos / August 12, 2007 1:50 AM PDT

A new thread, this thread is nearly 3 years old...

I'd be willing to answer your questions (as would other c|net members) in a new thread.

Collapse -
pc for graphics
by ddbpack / August 27, 2005 3:36 PM PDT

u really need to check out the new dual core processors! they are from what i gather super quick for what u are doing

Collapse -
re: Best PC for Graphic Design?
by fireflystudio / August 27, 2005 8:11 PM PDT

Since I don't know how open your company is to purchasing a non-Windows system for you to use, I'll answer with two options. My qualifications are these: I've been using computers since 1983, pre-Windows days... and I currently keep my feet in both Mac and Windows platforms, am a graphics professional, currently self-employed.

Your system is completely inadequate for your needs. While Adobe will point out the MINIMUM required for running their software, if that is what you have, operations are sluggish at best, and "blue screen of death" at worst. They do also state what the "preferred configuration is", which is about twice that. I sympathize with the problem of trying to run multiple applications with what you have.

First suggestion, is, as one other suggested, get a Mac! However, you do NOT need the top end Mac to get the job done. Not even a dual processor. But the mini is simply not designed for a work environment and is a poor choice for your job. Macs WILL network beautifully with Windows systems, no problem there. I run a Mac/Windows XP system (wireless) with no problems.

HOWEVER, two other factors come into play here, when proposing a platform change to your boss: 1) Apple has just entered into an agreement with Intel for their next series of computers, so there will be "changes made". The good news about that is that Macs will stay on working for a LOT longer than a Windows computer, and you can go ahead and buy one of the current models without worrying that you will need a replacement in 12-18 months. 2) If you already have the Adobe Creative Suite for the Windows platform, and you switch to a Mac, you will be forced to buy the whole thing again, because Adobe won't let you "trade in or trade up". That's the BAD news.

Second suggestion: If you must stay with Windows, but on a budget... I'd want to know what sort of monitor you are currently using, and if you have and use a Wacom or other graphics tablet? Are you happy with the monitor you have? Get the best monitor you can, as large as you can. In a work environment where space isn't as much of an issue as it is in a small home office, I'd go for a high quality 23" CRT over an LCD monitor. An LCD monitor is good, if you can afford to get the best quality out there... otherwise, stay with a quality CRT.

I'd go for a system with the AMD Athlon 64 processor, and make sure I had 1 GB Ram, minimum, more if they'll allow it, like 2 GB. Windows is a ram hog, and Adobe programs always have been. Throw in MS Office, and your ram is gone... The Athlon 64's are speedy buggers, and if you pop in a good video card (you don't need a gamer's card, but a Video Card with own ram is worth it's weight in gold!), have sufficient RAM on the motherboard, and two HD's, you should be set. The reason for AMD Athlon 64 processor, over a Pentium 4 (don't even THINK of Centrino for graphics, you poor thing!), is that the AMD's are set for the next iteration of MS's OS to appear, whenever that is. It's already got the 64 bit architecture. P4's run hot, and the fans can be noisy.

Sony has come up with a new, cool way to keep the P4's cool, and they've put them into new systems called their Vaio Digital Studios. These systems also come with the Pentium D Processors, which are the newer ones. I've been looking at one. They run very quietly, have already got a video card in them, usually 1 GB already installed, a 250 GB HD, Double Layer DVD burners, USB 2.0 and Firewire, and both VGA and DVI ports on the back for your monitor. If you want an LCD monitor, then go for DVI, not the old VGA analog... you'll have better quality.

Do you have a lot of plug-ins for Photoshop, and fonts, loaded into your system? If you run Photoshop a LOT, and have a big plug-ins folder loaded up, it will cause significant slowdows too. Best to keep your plug-ins in another folder (NOT inside Photoshop's subfolders), and then tell PS where to find them. I keep my plugins and graphics, etc. on a completely separate external hard drive. If you don't have a Wacom tablet, I suggest you try one. I can't imagine working without one.

It's very late here, and I've probably forgotten a lot of things, but hope I've given you some things to think about, and for sure, make a list of "MUST HAVES" along with some "really wants", see how far you can go.

Best wishes to you... Firefly

Collapse -
I'm in the same upgrade boat
by brinker123 / August 29, 2005 4:21 AM PDT

I'm shopping for the best computer for Adobe CS2 also. I'd like to echo and refute some of the previous posts.

Because of software and inability to upgrade to the other platform, I can't buy a mac as much as I'd love to. Until cross-platform switches are made affordable by software companies, those of us with an investment in one can't switch to the other.

Dual-core processing is definitely the way, better than hyperthreading, for those of us running multiple applications.

I've found all prepackaged systems are now loaded with Windows Media Center on them. Bad thing if you have peripherals like scanners and cameras that drivers don't exist for on WMC. I don't want to be tempted with TV at work and there's no cable here anyway!

Best thing is to have a system built for you with Windows XP Pro. A fresh install without all the free garbage programs and ads is best.

Keep Vista in mind when shopping for a system. Best thing would be a dual-processor, 64-bit, if you can find one now. They are coming, so this is why I am waiting. Do not get XP 64-bit! It has the same driver availability problem that WMC has.

I do want to investigate the previous post about recommending 64-bit AMD, as I was also advised by someone else to avoid them if I'm not gaming. Any other verification as to P4 vs AMD for Adobe work? (no games, no video, just accurate color and fast screen redraws).

Collapse -
xp pro x64
by marinetbryant / August 29, 2005 8:12 AM PDT

could you elaborate on the driver availability for x64? thinking of building something i don't need, based on intel 840 (dual processor w/ hyperthreading) and 64 bit technology.

Collapse -
ITS DUAL CORE!
by ozos / August 29, 2005 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: xp pro x64

not dual processor
dual processor means two physical chips in a single motherboard, dual core means two physical cores in a single chip....

and WindowsXP x64 edition is amazingly buggy and has horrible driver support, avoid it
just get XP Pro

also, color quality and screen redraws have NOTHING to do with the CPU, that's your graphics card, the thing you might be thinking of is Intel's lead in video rendering

for photoshop your CPU hardly matters as long as it's beyond a certain power point
and in terms of graphics your basically limited by the monitor, if you really wanna spend more money to get useless "extra" colors get a Parhelia512 256MB, that's a $550 card that outputs 10-bit per channel color (normal video cards output 8-bit per channel color)

the total output is over a billion collors
no an LCD cannot display all that

Collapse -
i'd choose p4 over amd
by bigygf / August 30, 2005 11:37 AM PDT

at home i have amd for gaming, but for office type stuff i find that a fast p4 works smoother when i'm running multiple apps, probably due to the hyper-treading and the extra clock speed

Collapse -
the...clock...speed...means...nothing
by ozos / August 31, 2005 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: i'd choose p4 over amd

this has been stated hundreds of thousands of times online

so what if it's clocked higher?
it simply is comparable to a lower clocked AMD, and depending on what chip you have from AMD vs what chip you have from Intel it'd be fairly simple as to why it's that way

I use an AMD for my main computer, and it's easily faster than any Intel anyone I know has (with only one exception (and considering how close it is vs the price gap, i'd take my AMD)) and that's not just at gaming, but that's at raw CPU benchmarks, overall performance, and general operation

not sure what your major gripe with is for AMD for office applications, I have two Intel NetBurst based chips, a Prescott and a Willamette, I also have used a T-bred B and currently have a Barton

of all of them the Barton is fastest, even over the "new and improved" Prescott (granted, it's a Celeron D so it's nothing like a 3.8F but it's still not faster)

i'd suggest AMD for anything you can be wanting to do
they'll run cooler, they'll handle many things better, and their cheaper (unless your getting a dual core, but their performance offering is better)

Collapse -
it's just an opinion, there's no one universal right answer
by bigygf / August 31, 2005 9:49 AM PDT

i wouldn't say that clock speed means nothing, i'm more agreeable to the idea that clock speed is not the single most important determining factor in computing performance.
when i play games the amd's floating point performance can't be beat.
when i'm rendering video the p4 seems faster to me and that could be due to a bunch of things, like maybe clock speed, fsb speed, cpu optimizations, whatever.
some of the stuff i do isn't cpu intensive, the computer's just waiting for me most of the time, like opening Microsoft Office apps, or just plain web browsing, or heavy downloading that's more disk intensive than cpu intensive. somehow this stuff seems snappier on the p4, maybe it's the hyperthreading, or maybe it's the amd throttling down in cool n quiet mode.
in the past some amd's ran hotter and some of the motherboards/chipsets showed signs of instability or lack maturity, where intels were genally more reliable. it can be debated that things are different now but i'll keep the radical ideas to myself and stay a bit conservative in my advice
and, i don't have a beef with any particular cpu company, it's not like i dictate policy

Collapse -
Actually
by damasta55r / August 31, 2005 4:17 PM PDT

Clock speed really does mean nothing. Is the wider pipelines of the P4 that enable it to beat amd at certain tasks.

Collapse -
...no
by ozos / September 1, 2005 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually

the Pentium 4 has a QDR type interface to the machine, while the K7 uses a DDR type interface, and the Athlon64 uses HTT...which smashes QDR to pieces

the Pentium 4 benefits in a few tasks by overall design and SSE3 extensions aid it in some things (i'm doubting he has a brand spanking new AMD with SSE3)

also, he hasn't said what he's comparing to what...

if he's comparing something like an AthlonXP 2400+ to a 3.2E, no duh the 3.2E is going to be faster

Collapse -
raw numbers
by bigygf / September 2, 2005 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: ...no

i made a homemade benchmark to compare the performance of some of the machines that i use. basically i used clonedvd to compress 6.63GB of dvd files to 4.37GB. to keep optical drive performance from being a factor i first copied all the files to the local hard drive before beginning the test.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 2GHz Clock 200MHz QDR HTT 64K+64K L1 Cache 512KB L2 Cache Winchester core 90 nm process
Result: 15 Minutes 55 Seconds

Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz Socket 478 200 MHz QDR 12KBuops+8KB L1 Cache 512KB L2 Cache Northwood core 130 nm process
Result: 13 Minutes 14 Seconds

Intel Pentium M 1.5 GHz Socket 479 100 MHz QDR 32KB L1 Cache 2MB L2 Cache Dothan core 90 nm process
Result: 18 Minutes 49 Seconds

so the differences are there, however small they are. i really only did this test to make sure i wasn't on crack when i said the p4 felt faster in some tasks. i sure there are other programs out there that perform the above task that may have optimazations for intel and/or amd, but i haven't really looked into alternatives since i'm happy with how this program works. my amd system with extra drives and hopped up video card/power supply is loud enough as it is so i don't even want to begin to speculate how power hungry, loud and expensive an intel dual core setup would be with ddr2 sdram

Collapse -
Best PC for graphic designers
by menofhonor / August 16, 2007 6:28 PM PDT

Hello,i am student at South Africa,Johannesburg ,studying PC support technician and have been given an assignement on looking best PC for graphic designers.So i have doing my research and came to note that Mac seems to the best for this kind of work,so please help me with my assignement.

(Assignement)You are a computer technician working for a Graphical Design company. The Managing Director has tasked you with installing computers for the new Designing department being opened. Do research about the type of computer that you would install for the graphic designers and motivate why you choose this specific system. You need to install ten of these PC's and connect them to a network.

List all the components in the PCs and motivate why you use this component. Be specific when you list the components. IE if you talk about the CPU list the CPU (Intel Pention 4 - 3.0 Ghz with HT) and add comments like the Intel CPU is the best choice because Graphic Designers will need a CPU with HT. All of the following components must be listed:

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
PCI Express Screen Card
Network card
SATA Hard Drive
DVD-Writer
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse

May you please send me a quote from as a motivation for buying this computer. by listing both the individual components and the total price of the computer and the shipping price to South Africa if it's not available here.

Also the computers must be installed in a network,so my quote should include the price of the ethernet,hub or anything that would be used to make the network

Thanks a lot for having this forum ,it seems to be very helpful,keep up the good work

Collapse -
can we please, please
by ozos / August 19, 2007 2:05 AM PDT

move out of this thread, this thread was created in 2003, its now 2007, it isn't a board unto itself, its just a thread that won't die

c|net members are ENTIRELY WILLING to help if you can post on the main PC Hardware or Desktops board.

I'll point out one error that you've got already, because its gnawing at me, and then I'll leave the rest to you to either do on your own (its your classwork after all) or to create a thread on your own to ask for help (which I'm sure you'll easily get)

Graphic designers do not need hyperthreading, and the Pentium 4 is dead and buried, you wanna be looking at Core 2 Duo, Opteron, Xeon, etc

Mac isn't the "best" for anything, at least not hardware wise, and software is preferential

Look at dell's workstations, HP's workstations, etc to get a feel for what you're doing, and if you have any texts to consult on your end

but can we PLEASE get out of this thread and let it die

Collapse -
Athlon 64 X2 dualcore
by Technojunkie2 / September 1, 2005 11:06 PM PDT

No contest, if your budget allows, get an Athlon 64 X2 dualcore based machine. You'll probably have to buy from one of the more competent smaller vendors (monarchcomputer.com, etc) to get it or build your own PC (like I do). The X2 3800+ isn't that much more expensive than a decent singlecore CPU but you can justify the faster models. Get 2GB RAM (pair of 1GB DIMMs), probably a GeForce 6600GT video card if you do mostly 2D work (or 7800GT for heavy 3D work, though you might want to look at the nVidia Quadro series for greater 3D accuracy)... that should get you off to a good start.

Only buy a dualcore P4 if the idea of burning twice as much electricity to do less work appeals to you, and you like the noisy cooling systems necessary to keep those blast furnaces from overheating.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.