TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best Party Speakers?

by chandl0r / May 3, 2008 1:50 PM PDT

I am college student who wants to get some good speakers to use primarily for music. Here is what I am looking for:

1) Something that is budget based (~$500)
2) Good bass
3) Simple setup (preferably 2 floor standing speakers)
4) I don't have a very discerning ear, and most music played will be downloaded MP3's so really high speaker quality isn't a huge concern
5) Won't be watching too many movies on them.

Thats pretty much it, just looking for a good setup that will meet all or most of those requirements. Thanks a lot guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Party Speakers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Party Speakers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by stewart norrie / May 3, 2008 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Best Party Speakers?

FOR $500 you can buy a great 2 channel speaker system. but in the future you will want to expand to a 5.1 system when you are rich after school ha ha. Whatever speaKERS you choose , make sure you can add the extra center , back and woffer later on I dont like to recomend speakers because the sound is a personal thing.I just upgraded to a $3600 7.1 system worth every penny I paid why they will last me a lifetime and I will never have to upgrade them stewee

Collapse -
Best party speakers
by dinox64 / May 4, 2008 2:52 AM PDT

Acknowledging most college kids are just there because they think they're suppose to be. And it's really just the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifthteenth grades. And now colleges are going coed not just in the dorms but in the same rooms so not much studing is going to be happening. I'd hit a garage sale in the nearest ghetto. Follow the ranchero or rap music you start to hear once you get nearer. That should be within a half mile or so. You should be able to walk away for less than 50 bucks and seeing everyone will be sucking off of a beer bong, already wearing their ipod with ear buds in or texting the kid across the room, they wont notice if they sound crappy or not. Make your parents proud.

Collapse -
Don't just sit there, Stewee. Let your friends know what
by NM_Bill / May 4, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

you've been up to. Upgraded speakers - What have you done?

Collapse -
Get a sub
by ..ben / May 5, 2008 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Best Party Speakers?

Throw the vast majority of your budget at a good sub and pick up some "whatever" speakers on Craigslist for $50. You might not EVER outgrow the sub, and the speakers you can upgrade at your convenience! There are several recent threads in this forum regarding entry-level subs from SVS, Elemental, and Hsu that can be had for $500. These subs will outperform ANY sub you'll see at Best Buy. They will completely shatter what you consider "good bass". You could even add this to supplement one of those "shelf systems".

Trust me. You'll be the envy of your friends and bane of your neighbors. Wink

Collapse -
by bevillan / May 5, 2008 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Get a sub

If loud, pumping bass is what matters most, get a good subwoofer and pair it with 2 speakers that just get the job done. Just make sure the speakers don't distort too much at high volumes in a party setting.

For subs, I agree with ben...check out SVS, Elemental Designs, and Hsu for their under ~$500 line-up. You will get WAY more accurate and punchy bass from one of their subwoofers than you will with floor-standing speakers with multiple woofer drivers.

Do you have a budget?

Collapse -
by bevillan / May 5, 2008 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed

Sorry, I forgot about the $500 budget you mentioned. You can get a good sub like this one for $375:

Then you can take the extra $125 and put it towards used speakers that are decent. Check craigslist, ebay, etc. for good deals on used speakers. You should be able to get a pair of used speakers that do well enough for $125 off of craigslist or ebay.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.