TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

best overall HDTV package cable or satellite?

by onepairofpant / November 9, 2005 7:09 AM PST

both cable and satellite companies are now offering free HD receivers with there packages, which I can finally put my KP-57WV700 rear projection HDTV to use. I have a few questions though

1) who has a better picture quality, satellite or cable? my cable modem connection is always fast and never goes down so I dont think local bandwidth is a problem

2) who has more HD channels?

3) who is cheaper?

4) on the non hd channels with 480p make a difference as it does in DVDs?

5) My tv was one of the first ever rear projection HDTV's to have a DVI input, should I just use the commponent cables I already have? or should I just save the DVI input for something like a PS3

thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best overall HDTV package cable or satellite?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best overall HDTV package cable or satellite?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bump
by onepairofpant / November 9, 2005 5:10 PM PST

bump

Collapse -
this forum sucks
by onepairofpant / November 10, 2005 2:30 AM PST

this forum sucks

Collapse -
best overall HDTV package cable or satellite?
by jcrobso / November 10, 2005 3:28 AM PST

One problem with your question is that people usualy have cable or they have satellite, but do not have BOTH.

You did NOT SAY WHICH CABLE company is in your area so NO ONE can answer you question. Your post implied that you have cable???
NOW if you would supply some info maybe we can help. John

Collapse -
I have DirecTV
by sMoRTy71 / November 10, 2005 4:17 AM PST

I can cover part of your question. Here is what DirecTV offers for HD.

HD Channels:
* Discovery HD
* HDNet
* HDNet Movies
* Universal HD
* ESPN HD
* ESPN 2 HD
* HBO HD (requires HBO sub)
* Showtime HD (requires Showtime sub)

NFL Sunday Ticket offers an HD tier that gives you over 125 HD games per season.

They are also rolling out local HD channels in a dozen or so markets over the next year.

See their site for the most up-to-date info:
http://tinyurl.com/dk6ld

Cost:
$10.99 per month to add the HD package

Picture quality:
I have always felt that satellite has a superior picture when compared to cable (I've been a satellite customer for 8 years, so cable may have improved).

Service:
I have yet to find a service provider (TV, phone, etc) that provides better customer service than DirecTV. Very short waits when calling and lots of stuff can be done on their website (like changing your programming services).

Hope this helps.
sm

Collapse -
Research
by HTHMAN / November 10, 2005 4:47 AM PST

First of all, when you say "this forum sucks", we do not want to help you a lot. A little research on your part goes a long way. Pick up the phone and ask your providers the prices and packages. When you are prepared, ask us what we think about our service with a certain cable or satellite provider and you will get a lot of help.

Collapse -
my setup
by onepairofpant / November 10, 2005 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Research

currently Im using a time warner analog cable box, so when I get an upgrade cable or satellite it'll be a big improvement, im no visual or audiophile, no calibration crap for me

I was thinking of going dish becusae they have the most HD channels but then again time warner cable has on demand and it wont cut out in the rain, but I heard some people with cable no necessarily time warner, theres digitilization skips and errors and such and with HDTV that'll just excentuate the problem even more so? no?

Satellite companies use MPEG-4 compression while cable companies are only on MPEG-2, anyways theres about 5 other questions in my original posts you guys just chose to ignore, this forum is for help right? so could you guys please help me

thanks

Collapse -
You're quite a charmer, aren't you?
by sMoRTy71 / November 10, 2005 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: my setup

Despite your "this forum sucks" and "this forum is for help, right?" remarks, I am going to continue to help you out.

In response to your questions:
1) IMO, satellite has better picture quality

2) I believe you said that DISH has the most. DirecTV has 8 or 9. Cable would depend on your provider.

3) I can only comment on the price of DirecTV. I pay $10.99 extra on my DirecTV bill for HD.

4) not sure what that question means. non-hd channels are in 480i. I have found that non-hd channels look pretty bad, but it depends on your display. I am using a 65" Hitachi, so a larger set will accentuate the flaws in non-hd material.

5) I haven't really noticed a *dramatic* difference between DVI and component. So if you already have component cables, you probably wouldn't see a big improvement with DVI. You may just want to wait until you have more devices that use component, then switch your HD box to the DVI output.

Collapse -
Component cables v HDMI - DVI
by gtbell / November 15, 2005 4:27 AM PST

I have a 42" plasma. I started out with the usual Monster Cables for component use. I then switched to Monster Cables' HDMI connected to a DVI converter so that it would fit into my component amplifier.

I notice that my picture isn't as clear as it used to be. Is this normal?

Is this the fault of the DVI converter?

I ask because I thought (from all my reading) that HDMI was supposed to deliver a much-improved picture.

Anyone?

Terry

Collapse -
Most satellite is still MPEG-2
by sMoRTy71 / November 10, 2005 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: my setup

DirecTV is the first provider to start offering MPEG-4. And, as of right now, it is only used for local HD channels in a dozen or so markets. Eventually, though, DirecTV will move to MPEG-4 for more of their programming.

DISH is not doing any MPEG-4 as far as I know.

Collapse -
DISH & MPEG4
by Allin4greeN / November 11, 2005 9:05 PM PST

Dish's new receiver's for MPEG4 are on the way, by end of November and December for the two versions (211 and 411). No announcements on programming additions or pricing at this point.

Wow is that guy a tool, huh? Just to be clear, onepairofpant, you are a tool. I have a suggestion for where you can put your component cables.

Collapse -
VERY VERY IMPORTANT RE SONY REAR PROJECTOR
by stewart norrie / November 12, 2005 3:51 AM PST

I own the same Sony but mine is the 65" KP-65WV600 unit 3 tube rear project. You must use the d.v.i input for your Sat system and d.v.d. player your componit vidio input will not give you a horrible picture. Here is what I had to do, I have the Dish Network 811 Hi-def sat system I have basic+hi-def package+voom for $45.00 per month and with the over the air hi-def tuner built in and a cheap outside antenn I receive 18 local digital channels Whwn they installed the system using componit vidio cables the picture was terrible so I installed a d.v.i. cable and problem solved, then I noticed the d.v.d. picture was nasty so I bought a denon d.v.d. player with d.v.i. output and a Gifin d.v.i. switcher and now my d.v.d. and sat system look beautiful . for some reason the sony 3 tube rear project t.vs wont work with componit vidio cables you mjay email me at cadillacstew@aol.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.